Why become a member? ×

Short scale steels?

Evil Undead

I purchase some D'Addario Pro Steels Roundwound 45/65/80/100. I really wanted to go for a lighter gauge but I had to compromise. I am really happy with them as I can get a real zingy/grind from them. Been playing them for over 2 months and still have that liveliness to them. Fitted my Musicmaster well.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1465734175' post='3070562']
Hey all. I really like d'addario short scale nickels, the 40-95 gauge, for the feel and tension. But they aren't bright enough really and go dead too fast. Plus the E is always kinda dead. Are they any short scale steels in similar gauge?
[/quote]

Hi Evil Undead,

The only short scale set in ProSteels we do is the EPS170S (45-100). This is the brightest sounding string we manufacture in a short scale set.

As for the dead sounding E string, have you experienced this on multiple sets?

Regards,

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1465734175' post='3070562']
Hey all. I really like d'addario short scale nickels, the 40-95 gauge, for the feel and tension. But they aren't bright enough really and go dead too fast. Plus the E is always kinda dead. Are they any short scale steels in similar gauge?
[/quote]
I like the feel of the D'Add's EXL220S nickels too. Following a recommendation from Scott Whitley, it's what I've just fitted to both my main gigging basses so it's too early for me to comment on how well they last. For me they sound good though, including the E, but the stuff I play doesn't call for anything too bright. Having said that, I'd go for steels if they were available and Scott said the same (D'Addario UK pls note). Btw, I had the string nut re-made on one bass and re-cut on the other. If you didn't change yours, that could explain the dead-sounding E.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1466418528' post='3075599']
I like the feel of the D'Add's EXL220S nickels too. Following a recommendation from Scott Whitley, it's what I've just fitted to both my main gigging basses so it's too early for me to comment on how well they last. For me they sound good though, including the E, but the stuff I play doesn't call for anything too bright. Having said that, I'd go for steels if they were available and Scott said the same (D'Addario UK pls note). Btw, I had the string nut re-made on one bass and re-cut on the other. If you didn't change yours, that could explain the dead-sounding E.
[/quote]

It would appear there's more demand for extra light ProSteels than we thought!

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1466410343' post='3075525']
Hi Evil Undead,

The only short scale set in ProSteels we do is the EPS170S (45-100). This is the brightest sounding string we manufacture in a short scale set.

As for the dead sounding E string, have you experienced this on multiple sets?

Regards,
[/quote]

hey! yeah I've had it on every set, but the medium scales on my other bass have been fine across all strings. it's weird.

I wish the pro steels were available in short scale 40-95!

Interesting to hear, it's unlikely that you'll have had multiple faulty sets so I suspect it's a setup issue.

If you did decide to take the plunge with a set of EPS170S; note that whilst the tension isn't wildly different, by the nature of their construction they are stiffer strings.

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1466418934' post='3075602']
It would appear there's more demand for extra light ProSteels than we thought!
[/quote]

Along with the rest of the UK, I guess the bass-playing fraternity is an ageing population. If that assumption is right, easy playability has to become more of an issue.