Why become a member? ×

Lightweight, well-balanced 32" scale bass?

solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1465669627' post='3070138']
Folks, I think I'm looking for a somewhat more radical solution. I'm looking for something seriously lightweight, but giggable. Something like the Sinsonido, or similar. So - get radical - step outside of the "normal" bass shape....Go on, be creative...
[/quote]
The Yamaha is 3kg and moderately radical in a world of P & J clones.

Edited by Mykesbass

[url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20CURRENT/Westone%20The%20Rail%201985%20CURRENT/Westone%20The%20Rail%20-%20take%202_body%205_zpsnoi7vhpo.jpg.html"][/url]

That's not the original pickup BTW. I had a Dark Star re-issue retro-fitted.

Edit: This is a 32" scale bass.

Edited by Happy Jack

How about this? I've just bought a five string bass, so was going to list this for sale to pay for that. It's a 34 inch scale, very broad range of tones & would be within the budget you mention. Most importantly for you even though it's 8lbs, the balance is so good it feels as light as a feather on a strap!

@Wilco. Hmmmm - 8Lbs is perhaps still a little heavier than I'm looking for. Quite surprising, given that it has a carbon neck.

Cardboard bass! Westone Rail - Now we're talking!

@HappyJack - What's the weight of that Westone, please? How's the balance for playing when standing up?

@Number6 - I had a look at the Chowny basses. For me, they do look a bit dated with that Eddie Cochran/1950's style. Sorry, not for me.

@Neephied - Similar reaction to the Epiphone Jack Casady. It weighs 8lbs/3.6 Kgs. I'm trying to find something under 3 Kgs, hence the "let's be creative and unusual" request.

I keep looking at the Sinsonido and this cheap copy: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anygig-AGB-Full-Scale-Length-Travel-Bass-Guitar-Backpacker-Portable-Bag/321884540505?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3Dada28af155334dcd8a6f8b7c51978cb0%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D222028132975"]http://www.ebay.co.u...%3D222028132975[/url] How easy would it be to upgrade the pickup?

Any other full-scale, decent quality 4-string stick-type basses out there?

Thanks again for everybody's suggestions.

Steve

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1465722793' post='3070409']
@Wilco. Hmmmm - 8Lbs is perhaps still a little heavier than I'm looking for. Quite surprising, given that it has a carbon neck.

[/quote]

I weighed it a few weeks after I got it, & was surprised that it weighed the same as a P bass I had. They felt totally different weights when playing. I think it's down to the 'pull' over the left shoulder - with the Steinbergers light neck there's very little, which is why it felt so much lighter. Shame we weren't closer so you could try it out & see what I mean.

The reason I asked the short scale question is that Scott Whitley's SWB-1 is only 7lbs in weight has passive or active options and would be well under your target price. Plays better than many basses costing twice the price.

If you can get used to short scale the Danelectro Longhorn needs weighting down to stop it floating away. Just weighed mine (with the strap still on it) and it is around 4.5lbs. Lovely things they are too - I gig mine frequently.

I had to get rid of my Fender Jazz for similar reasons and I bought on this site a Spector Rebop second hand that's about 7.25lb and very comfortable. Top end of your budget but available. Also have a Spector Spectorcore semi hollow which is just over 8lbs but it is a 5 string with. 35in scale so I reckon the 4 should be lighter as its a 34 ins scale. There is an Italian web shop which sell them new within your budget and deliver to UK really quickly.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1465722793' post='3070409']
@HappyJack - What's the weight of that Westone, please? How's the balance for playing when standing up?

[/quote]

Weight = just shy of 8lbs, maybe nearer 7.5lbs. I have lighter basses than that (SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB320 for example, or my Mike Lull P-bass) but if you're looking for a combination of low weight with whacky design then that's the best I can offer.

Neckdive = not that much. More than a Precision but way less than a T-bird. With basses this light, it's worth remembering that a 'sticky' strap (like my neoprene Comfort Strapp) makes far more difference, and that the weight of the lead looped through your strap and into the socket again makes more difference than it would with an 11lb bass.

Above all, it is - of course - headless!

This is at The Horns in Watford, sound was appalling, performance not much better, but at least you can see how it looks on stage.

http://youtu.be/L6OLY_OyFu4

Edited by Happy Jack

Another recommendation for the Ibanez sr500. Mine is also very light at about 3kg. More importantly it balances well - I have another bass about the same weight but it's uncomfortable to play because of neck dive. The sr500 ain't sophisticated, but it can do a wide variety of jobs.
Very thin neck though, hence mine is now surplus to requirements.