Why become a member? ×

Lightweight, well-balanced 32" scale bass?

solo4652

Folks, Apologies for this post which may well overlap with lots of others. Here goes;

Because of Arthritis in my neck, I need to find a lightweight full scale bass that's giggable through a standard head/cab rig in a pub covers band. I've searched the web and come up with some ideas, but I may well have missed something obvious. Don't mind any "left field" suggestions - don't hold back! Here's the shopping list;

Full-scale
The lighter, the better
Fretted
Plays through a GKMB500/Tecamp rig
Sounds good enough to be an honest bass for, errrm, Dr Feelgood, Fleetwood Mac...
Active or passive - I don't mind
Budget; £400 - £500

I'm aware of the Sinsonido, and that's a possibility

How about an electro-acoustic?

All suggestions greatfully received.

Steve

Edited by solo4652

I am sure there are lighter ones but the lightest full scale basses I have owned are a Danelectro DC59 and a Godin LR Baggs electro-acoustic. Although the latter may be pushing the budget. Both are under 7lbs.

What about a headless bass like a Hohner. I have a friend who has one and in a band situation it sounds fine and weighs next to nothing.

http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/guitar-interactive-issue-22/reviews/hohner-b2-headless-bass/

I had a Bass Collection that would certainly fit the bill in terms of sound and weight. Don't know if the look would suit but don't see why not. :)

Recently I've needed to go lighter for gigging. Due to the nature of the venues that I'm currently playing, not keen on taking along my lighter vintage Fenders or my very lovely Dingwall. So, I've put together a P bass, with G&L pups and a Fender Japanese neck. The lightest P bass body I could find was a Squier, so that's what I went with. Sounds great and is only slightly over 8lb.

There used be a company called Wesley, who made cheap entry level guitars. I had one of the Monarch models a few years ago as a back up. It was so light I forgot I was wearing it.
I dont know if they are still around, but they didnt sound too bad either.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WESLEY-MONARCH-SOLID-ELECTRIC-GUITAR/dp/B000PSNNBU

Yamaha Rbx 4A - had one in a trade, took it with the sole intention of moving it on, but great bass nonetheless, you would hardly know it was on your shoulder! These basses are designed to be light, unlike the lottery of standard bass weights.

Timely topic for me Steve. I'm just going through a similar "light-sizing" exercise. I've managed to get down to 7 1/2lbs with Yamaha. And I'm impressed with the quality you get for the money.

A couple of basses I had suggested to me when I first started my quest were a Fender Precision Lyte and a Fender Cabronita. I imagine they would certainly look the part. Unfortunately I never tracked any down to assess though.

I'll be following your thread with interest, thanks for raising it.

Ibanez SoundGears are very light - I've had 3, and my current one (SR500) is under 7lbs. The very skinny necks can be a bit marmite though.

Logically though, headless is the way to go if you're OK with the look.

Jon.

Gear4music L.A. Bass. (P bass)
The body is made from super lightweight (very resonant) Paulownia wood.
They are gigable but so cheap you could mod it nicely and easily still come in under budget:

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/LA-Bass-Guitar-by-Gear4music-Natural/5TQ

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1465663380' post='3070082']
Logically though, headless is the way to go if you're OK with the look.
[/quote]

You would have thought so. *I* would have thought so. Given that so much of what is usually there isn't there. But I have had a number of Hohner B2 derivatives and they have all been well over 7lbs. One was nearly 9lbs. Lord knows what they make them out of. I have owned several 'full bodied' basses that have been lighter.

Folks, I think I'm looking for a somewhat more radical solution. I'm looking for something seriously lightweight, but giggable. Something like the Sinsonido, or similar. So - get radical - step outside of the "normal" bass shape....Go on, be creative...

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1465669627' post='3070138']
Folks, I think I'm looking for a somewhat more radical solution. I'm looking for something seriously lightweight, but giggable. Something like the Sinsonido, or similar. So - get radical - step outside of the "normal" bass shape....Go on, be creative...
[/quote]

http://news.baileyguitars.co.uk/index.php/2011/04/bailey-custom-one-string-bass-77-assembly-and-set-up/

Edited by Billy Apple