Why become a member? ×

Delete please

artisan

Just out of interest - did you only write to the two FaceBook pages / profiles?

Facebook message notification settings keep changing and a lot of people don't receive a note saying they have a message unless they specially log in to FB's Messenger app.

I see this happening a lot in the many FB for sale type pages. Messages just not getting through to sellers easily.

I think its a risk of the newer text/messaging culture - you just assume people have read/seen the message and can't be bothered to get in touch. I'm pretty certain that anyone who's living depends on selling anything would be pretty hot on following things through......

i gave my 12year old lad a roasting the other day for not replying to a text from me (just one about collecting him from school) - he insisted he hadn't received it and it came through as we were talking - he genuinely hadn't received it.

You can't beat the old school method of actually talking to people....

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1465656278' post='3070005']
i gave my 12year old lad a roasting the other day for not replying to a text from me (just one about collecting him from school) - he insisted he hadn't received it and it came through as we were talking - he genuinely hadn't received it.
[/quote]

Modern apps like Viber and WhatsApp allow you to see when a message is delivered and also seen. It does require a data connection however.

I know a company that also ignores both e-mail and facebook messaging, so they don't get my business. If I have to phone the shop, I feel under pressure to buy and I don't like that if I'm making inquiries.

One time I phoned the shop to ask for details about an item and they texted and rang me non-stop through working hours and completely lost their professionalism when I didn't reply within 2 hours.

I always consider myself a potential customer, as I've owned over 50 instruments, but it still has to be my decision and I hate pressure sales.

I've found a shop that always replies to me and they're very patient, so I'll keep going back.

I can understand why companies don't always reply but I don't understand why they bother having social media presence or email addresses in the first place.

The worst are car garages etc where you fill in a contact us form in the website. I don't know if those ever result in a reply!!

I see a pattern of some small businesses for whom this is all too true. Over the last few years I have dealt with several luthiers (not for guitars) who don't reply to e-mails (or only sporadically) despite their web sites saying 'please e-mail'. There is also a Yorkshire based instrument supplier (again not basses/guitars) who also tends not to respond to e-mails. I have in fact challenged them over this and they have admitted that they're 'not good' at e-mails...

I do think social media as a communication mechanism is tricky - especially for small businesses - we know that FB throttles communications, and I have recently had experience of texts going for a wander and appearing hours later and out of sequence.

But, if you're a small business you really need to be on top of replying to e-mails, even it it's only a holding reply initially.

If I have the right business in mind then it has a phone number and email address on the Contact page and in the website footer. Facebook is a social media site that they keep messing around with and I have missed messages sent to me because they have not been flagged up by the software. It is not a communication system that can be relied on, although it is ok for a bit of promotion and discussion.

The owner is a really affable guy who runs the business for the love of it. So yes, there is a bit of a "hobby business" air about it but to counter that you will get a very personal and knowledgeable level of service when you do visit (edit: if you had have visited). I had to wait for him to come back from holiday before I could call in but it was well worth the wait.

I am sure Bass Direct will look after you in the meantime. Another retail outfit run by enthusiasts that does not appeal to some; give me the knowledgeable enthusiasts any day.

Edited by DBerriff

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1465656278' post='3070005']
I think its a risk of the newer text/messaging culture - you just assume people have read/seen the message and can't be bothered to get in touch. I'm pretty certain that anyone who's living depends on selling anything would be pretty hot on following things through......

[b]You can't beat the old school method of actually talking to people....[/b]
[/quote]

In this day of comms, people forget to talk. If it is really important, I'd be on the phone.
Every day at work will tell you that, IMO.

Having said that, if the shop has poor comms, get down to BassDirect if you are north of Birmingham.

thanks for the replies guys.
i have dealt with said vendor a few times in the past,with some difficulties,communication always seems to be a problem with some messages getting a reply & others totally ignored,facebook + email included.
whilst it may be better to phone for some people i can't do that whilst i'm at work but firing a sneaky email or f'b' message can be done with stealth,what the boss doesn't see etc.

I'm afraid some people are just crap at business, communication is the key in everything, I always reply to any messages I get it's just common courtesy, I recently needed a plumber so looked in the local free paper and rang a plumber twice got the answering machine and left messages to ring me back as I'd a plumbing job for him and heard nothing at all, some people just shouldn't be in business at all they've not got the necessary skills

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1465687614' post='3070273']
Just want to say 50 is not old and I'm saying that in my early(ish) 30s. It's 70 when your an old git lol.

Mind you the way some act on here you would think At 40 you instantly become a right old so and so haha.
[/quote]
I did, and am :ph34r:[size=4] [/size]

I'm pretty sure who this is... but I'm still not naming the business in case I'm wrong. I spoke to the guy on the phone and arranged for him to come round as I was selling two of my basses. He just didn't turn up or even try to contact me, and I live very close to Manchester. When I phoned him back it turned out to be really hard work re-arranging... so I gave up. He is wonderfully affable, but it wore a bit thin in the end. Shame... could have been the start of a beautiful relationship, where I ended up buying a load of stuff from him.

I'm not having a huge dig, but in 2016, if you want to survive in business, no matter WHAT your age, you have to be tech savvy and deal with messages and adverts on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/your website. Not everyone wants to ring and spend 10 mins explaining when they could type exactly what they want to ask and email it in. Emails are just as important as letters to a business, hence 'electronic mail'.

It is my understanding that this is not the exclusive income for the potential person being referred to, or that they are not reliant upon it.

I have dealt with this seller before and had no problems, but it was 2013 when it was a much smaller operation.

thanks for all the replies guys,all is now sorted.
as mentioned above it was just a communication problem & me being impatient too.
just goes to show you jumping to conclusions without getting all the facts is not the way to go.
i am a tit.
please ignore me