Why become a member? ×

jazz bass clack

Funky Dunky

The first thing i would do is adjust your string height to equal the Ray and see what its like then
no point in spending on strings ect without first ascertaining if its just to low
on the other hand it might just be you dont like the brighter sound of a passive jazz bass
it took me a while to adjust to a jazz after playing a status for years ,the jazz sounded far more bright and clacky through the same amp
[ my old Trace ] with the same settings ...it might just take a while to find the sweet spot with amp eq and bass

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1465664572' post='3070096']
As well as relief it could be the new bass has jumbo frets on it. Death to jumbo frets.
[/quote]

I missed that. It's very possible the nut isn't high enough.

Okay, I have used Grangur's frankly brilliant guide (thank you!) And have learned the following:

Neck relief - I have a little bit of clearance at the 12th fret on the A, so I'm going to leave it be.

String height - does not pass the pound coin test.

Pickup height - passes the pound coin test.

I will therefore go with a simple bit of tweakery at the saddles, and report back the results.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1465672064' post='3070158']
Also - the frets are officially medium-jumbo, going by the Fender website.
[/quote]

Will have nothing to do with it, IMO.

Clack is because you are putting too much into the string for the action of the bass.
A more refined touch will deal with that .... but if you don't want that..then the way to tidy that up is to raise the action.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1465713616' post='3070320']

Will have nothing to do with it, IMO.

Clack is because you are putting too much into the string for the action of the bass.
A more refined touch will deal with that .... but if you don't want that..then the way to tidy that up is to raise the action.
[/quote]

Makes sense to me. Action raised. Clack gone. Thanks to all for advice :D