Why become a member? ×

Self Publishing and recording your own music. What are the benefits of starting your own Label?

The Badderer

Hi all.

General question for input from people who have or haven't done this.

My scenario. Going to be writing and recording a collaborative album over the summer / autumn. Going to be producing it all myself.

I will have a website to release the music through, as well as releasing to iTunes / Amazon (through the 3rd party companies you have to go through for that).

I will have a business set up for this.

I am also considering starting my own label, but I am confused as to what the benefits of having status as a Record Label is beneficial as further opportunities may arrive quite quickly.

Please share some info if you have looked into starting a Label and have or haven't done it.

There's lots of info about "How to Start" a Label, but I'm struggling to find much info about "What are the benefits" or "Why should you" start a Label?

Thanks Basschatters.

Simon

There aren't any benefits as such, it's more just the theory.

If you were licensing in other works or you thought the rights to the work you are writing/recording would be worth other people buying from you in the future then having a label to put everything under makes sense from an admin perspective. But in reality 90% of record labels people set up are vanity projects; it looks more professional when you're emailing people from a company URL account, it's nice to be google-able, people think you're cool when you pull out a record label business card but that is about it.

The practice of writing/recording/producing/releasing an album is perfectly accomplishable using your personal bank account and your standard gmail account. I wouldn't bother with setting up a company to shuffle all the admin through until the revenue generated starts pushing above say 3/4k but even then I've dealt with plenty of people/"companies" that are pushing a hell of a lot more than that through their personal accounts.

Don't let that put you off doing it though; the vanity reasons are perfectly acceptable & it's all good practice.

Edited by Lw.