Why become a member? ×

Marshallesque guitar amp

Beer of the Bass

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1472796494' post='3124263']
Nice, I made an mhuss 6v6 plexi which is similar to your smaller build, sounds very good, be interested to follow this!
[/quote]

Mark Huss' page is what gave me the idea. It's handy that the 6v6 requires so few changes to the circuit other than choosing the correct transformers and tweaking a few values in the power supply, and I'd really like something that sounds as much like the 50 watter as possible, just with less power.

How feasible is it to build this amp with the controls on the front (or at least on the front of the top)? I know top-back mounted controls are nicely retro, but with modern combo placement on stands or tilt-backs having them there makes it very awkward to adjust anything mid-performance.

The 50-watter had the controls at the top largely because the friend I built it for liked the look, though with the vents on the top it's good for avoiding heat build up too. This one is going to have the controls on the front, as I usually have a tape echo box sitting on top of my amp which makes top-mounted controls annoying.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Subthumper' timestamp='1472844853' post='3124792']
Very nice work, looks great. Getting the front panel done properly is worth every penny. Yeah I too find that I'm planning the next project before ive finished the first one. I'm thinking of some kind of Model T come bassman on steroids, got a nice set of partridge 200watt transformers to use.
[/quote]

I'd love to see a build diary thread on that one if you're up for doing one.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Subthumper' timestamp='1474106908' post='3135634']
Ok will do. I've got a few other projects on the go so will be a little while until I do it but keep an eye out. I'm thinking model T preamp split channel with a bassman preamp. Not so much drive and clean but two distinctly different sounds. All mated up to a 4x kt88 power amp. What ya think folks?
[/quote]

Sounds cool, always liked the Model T. I'm going to take another swing at redoing my 80s Fender 30 combo one of these days, although its current quasi-single channel Vibrolux Reverb format is actually pretty danged sweet.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Bassman Rich' timestamp='1489140625' post='3254639']
Great looking amp, you have those skills down to a T. I tried an ampmaker se5, and it worked great first time, so I didn't learn too much, just how to follow instructions to the letter!!!
[/quote]
[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1489521349' post='3257666']
I doff my hat to you. Really nice work!
[/quote]

Cheers! This one is off with the guitarist I'm playing bass with, and I've just got around to making some progress on its little brother for myself. Mine is going to be a little more compact and I have some different ideas I want to try with the reverb circuit. I'm also determined that it will be red, just because I fancy a red amp.

• 3 months later...

I've been cracking on with my 6v6 version in the last week or so. I've got everything wired and checked over bar a few connections on the reverb circuit (I'll try it with that disconnected first). With any luck I should be able to pop some valves in and give it a try over the weekend, then it'll be time to get the cab for it built.

Hooray, it's working and making the right noises. The bias voltage was not quite right at first, so that required a resistor change to get it into the correct range. The reverb is a little shallow at the moment so I'm going to play around with that some more, but I've had fewer issues to iron out than on the last one. I've just been using an old speaker sat in a cardboard box so far, but even with that I can hear that it's a nice sounding amp.