Why become a member? ×

Seeking basic start up advice regarding legal / paperwork side of things

The Badderer

[size=4][font=Helvetica]Hi.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]I searched Basschat for a thread about legals and couldn't really find one, but if someone knows a better forum area for this please feel free to move it there.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]So, I’m planning on recording a collaborative project over the summer / next year.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]The general idea and creative force behind the project is me. I am going to be doing the recording / producing work and most of the writing, however it is going to be done in collaboration with other people.

To add complication, it may will be happening with people from the UK and from Europe, and from the USA (I am studying in the USA on an M1 Student visa, then coming back to the UK / Europe for the summer then going back to the USA on another M1 Student visa).

I am a UK citizen, and will be looking to set myself up as a UK musician / producer. I will probably host a UK based website as my main way of distributing the music, although I may well put it on online distribution sites like iTunes / Amazon although I have not looked in to this or the fees that this entails.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]I need to make sure that I have myself covered legally with waivers / rights / co-writing agreements and basic start up paperwork as a self employed person / company etc.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]Where should I turn to for basic legal advice etc.?

Are there musician union / insurances that I should consider.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]This is my 1st time looking into this so seeking advice for best steps forwards as there may be many more domestic and international projects involved and want to look at the best way to legally start myself up, as this is a small start up project, but could become much bigger quickly.

On the side I may end up teaching music too so any advice that incorporate that is appreciated but that is much simpler.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]Any input is welcome.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]Thanks[/font]

[font=Helvetica]Simon[/font][/size]

Edited by The Badderer