Why become a member? ×

Mollycoddling basses

byrne182

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1465345634' post='3067480']
None of my gear has ever has the "crap" beaten out of it. That seems to be a particularly pointless thing to do in the pursuit of making music.
[/quote]

Even playing slap bass?

Worth watching the bass player live video of Abe Laboriel playing a Stingray at the Louis Johnson memorial tribute concert - now that is whacking hell out if a bass!! Good though.

Nothing wrong with looking after gear and not wanting it to get marked

However , my main gigging basses are second hand non A1 condition (cosmetically not functionally) , brought specifically so I don't worry

Edited by lojo

I spent years giving my Fender MIJ P bass a LOT of gigging in rough pubs with punk bands. It was barely noticeable that it had been gigged heavily apart from a few paint dings it got from leaving it on a stand when I went outside. I am not 100%, but from what I can recall (it was years ago) a slightly older jealous lad (always wanted a decent P bass) dinged it on purpose....that was what I was told.

You don't have to beat it up! You can play it hard and dig in, you can be in punk band and jump around to your heart's content. Most of the big bands who beat their instruments up get a new one from the sponsor and yes, when you are in a huge band making money from being in a band, it is a lot more of a tool, and probably provides more memories as you are literally using it to make a career.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1465317447' post='3067091']
I think most high-end instruments don't actually get used that much. Never seen anyone down the Frog and Twat with a Ritter or Fodera.
[/quote]

The cheapest bass I'm currently using to gig with has a new replacement value of just under £3k. The others I use cost considerably more. I'm playing rowdy punk/psychobilly gigs most weekends.

At gigs I'm careful with my instruments but not precious about them. As others have said if you really don't look after them then they stop working reliably and that gets in the way of the performance. On the other hand a few knocks and scrapes won't affect them and if they get too battered looking then I can always get them refinished and looking brand new again.

My Lakland has done a few gigs but always been very well treated. I've had it for 3 years now and it is pretty much immaculate, so I think whenever the first major ding happens I will not be happy and probably try and repair it (if paintwork).

My Precision is 10 years old and I got it 2nd hand, it's also in decent condition but as it's quite common (MIM) and replaceable, I don't feel as precious about it. Also there is somewhat of a fashion for beat up Fenders, which leads on to my Strat.

It's a MIJ 54 Reissue with a nitro finish. It's got a few bits missing on the back and sides and I feel no need what so ever to treat it nicely - you'd pay big money for this if done in the Fender factory. I'm not exactly throwing it around, but i'm not as careful when putting back in the stand.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1465329915' post='3067299']
All of my gear is immaculate, despite heavy gigging. I just look after it, it's not difficult.
[/quote]

The only problem with that is: energetic picking + swamp ash body = pick scrapes galore. Its only a Dingwall though... :ph34r:

I don't neglect my equipment, but during the energy of a gig things do happen. Dings in finishes make me very sad, but I have come to terms with the pick scrapes and buckle rash (from shirt / jeans buttons!!) on my ABZ as a hazard of soft finishes.

My bass is like an old jumper. Electronically it's perfect, setup is bang on and hasn't moved or been changed in 10 years but the body has a few nicks, areas where the varnish has worn off and a few dings. I don't baby it at all but I'm careful with it but not so much that I worry about it.

Like wearing an old fave jumper, compared to a brand new suit. I banged it in a door the other day and didn't even stop to check because it's OK. It would take a lot of abuse to do any damage and I couldn't really be comfortable with a pristine instrument just like I don't always wear a suit!

She's 28 years old now and looks better with age, I suppose it's the bass equivalent of a MILF

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1465428268' post='3068226']
My basses are £2k Warwicks down to Squiers and a £75 Westfield P.
My playing style and our setlist don't involve beating the crap out of them.
If it did, I guess I probably wouldn't have spent the daft money.
[/quote]
My guess is the OP hasn't spent that kind of money on any instrument and can't imagine doing so either. If he did his view might be different too.

Edited by Grangur

To be honest, it all depends on what you play though. If you're doing smooth jazz, you're not going to be punching the E string, but I tend to play really aggressive music which fits with hammering the crap out of it.

That said, they're still looked after, none have ever been properly damaged and even my oldest bass which I've had for over 20 years only has a few dings on it.

Agree with comments about looking after gear and not being precious about it - or you'd never play them. I gaven't gig'd the bass yet as I'm not fit to be let loose in public, but I do gigs/concerts with both sax and cello - both of which you do have to take care with. Give a sax a stern look and it goes out of adjustment and obviously wooden instruments like cellos don't enjoy being bashed.

I look after my gear too. My AGCs can be seen in the pubs and clubs where we routinely play. OK they're neither Foderas nor Sadowskys but I couldn't justify the price for one of those seriously high end instruments. I also have one cheaper bass that I will take to the one or two venue that are a bit 'lively'.

Edited by ead

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1465329915' post='3067299']
All of my gear is immaculate, despite heavy gigging. I just look after it, it's not difficult.
[/quote]

This. Ask any craftsman. Good tools, whatever their initial cost, are worth spending time to care for properly. And, to repeat, it's not difficult. Anything else is laziness.

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1465382043' post='3067645']
At gigs I'm careful with my instruments but not precious about them. As others have said if you really don't look after them then they stop working reliably and that gets in the way of the performance. On the other hand a few knocks and scrapes won't affect them and if they get too battered looking then I can always get them refinished and looking brand new again.
[/quote]

This. I use cases and covers to keep my kit in good nick, but I'm not too upset if a bass does pick up a ding or scratch.

My first nice bass has lots of dings after 22 years. My other three are 8-5 years old and almost immaculate. They get used and gigged plenty but I'm just better at taking care of them.

Each to their own, but I can't see how taking care of your kit can be a bad thing. Now, not using it because it's too nice is a shame, but if people have the means to have a few coffee table pieces that they prefer to keep in the cabinet, that's their prerogative.