Why become a member? ×

Mollycoddling basses

byrne182

Probably treading on dangerous ground here but I can't help thinking that there is a serious amount of "babying" going on with basses.....

They are tools at the end of the day aren't they??

Surely I'm not the only on who has the opinion that a bass sounds better if you beat the living crap out of it.... am I?

I know not all styles of music allow crap beat-age...

I understand keeping them in good working order, but they are built to be played after all.

I only buy basses that will look good in the future through natural wear but not undue care.
Some basses and paint jobs look ruined the moment you get a few marks in them, but some take the wear better and like some antiques actually start to get a nice patina, mojo, relic look going on.

Edit to say can't stand dirty, unkept instruments though and dirty fretboards or necks are not cool, although acceptable on maple, light coloured woods. Frets, bridges, strings, electrics should also be kept in good nik.

Edited by Twincam

Couldn't agree more - but the challenge for some folks is that they buy this super high end bass - or other gear for that matter - then get all concerned with resale value.

My way of doing things is to buy relatively beat-up, well worn, or even totally battered (sometimes broken) basses - then not concern myself with babying at all.

I bought an absolutely lush EBMM Sterling last year. It was pristine. I loved it! However, I knew it was not a 'lifetimer' - and babied it all the time. I hated the way I had to be so careful with it. Hence, I will not be doing that again,

I think most high-end instruments don't actually get used that much. Never seen anyone down the Frog and Twat with a Ritter or Fodera.

In fact, come to think of it, out of all the gigs I've ever been to (theatre, major label, TV etc) I've never seen a Roscoe, MTD, Ritter, Fodera, Ken Smith etc.

I've once seen a Sadowsky Jazz being used (Jason Newstead).

It's a frightful shame.

I agree they are tools and there to be used. I look after them and in the past have molly coddled but them recently got a mojo dink on a JB and after the initial upset got to thinking.....they're not ornaments but tools so use them, respect them but if they get a mark here and there don't stress. Life is too short for that.

Edited by Number6

[quote name='byrne182' timestamp='1465314403' post='3067046']
Probably treading on dangerous ground here but I can't help thinking that there is a serious amount of "babying" going on with basses.....

Surely I'm not the only on who has the opinion that a bass sounds better if you beat the living crap out of it.... am I?

I understand keeping them in good working order, but they are built to be played after all.
[/quote]

Sounds a bit judgemental there and the notion that a bass somehow sounds "better" if you "beat the living crap out of it" is dubious to me - listening with eyes methinks.

Just do whatever you want to do with your basses and leave others to use theirs as they see fit.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1465318621' post='3067108']
I look after my gear. I don't see it as 'babying'.
[/quote]

Me too, but only to the extent of keeping it all on good working order. I'm not fussed about scratches or dings and couldn't care less about resale value because I never sell anything. When I buy something that's it, the money is spent and I don't plan on ever getting it back.

All four of my 'good' basses are in great nick, and I look after them. I play with a heavy touch, most of the time, but that doesn't damage them. I also take them down the Frog and Hammer without a thought.

Basses are definitely tools to be used.

But as my old dad would say, "look after your tools and they'll look after you".

I apply that philosophy to whatever gear I'm using. Be it my car, bike, power drill, lawnmower, whatever. I keep my things in good nick, but I don't bust a hernia if they get worn through use. I just don't set out to hasten that process.

I like mine in good nick and set-up precisely.
If I were to sell them I don't want to loose a shed load of money because I kept them badly enough that
they lost more money than they would have otherwise.

That is just pooring money away..??

yeah, based on the above i'd like to provide an addendum to my comment:

If you call an absolutely obssessively focused detailed setup (truss, relief, intonation, strings selection, etc.) 'babying' then i'm 200% guilty.

I don't really care what happens to the paint work - either way. Playability and tone are everything to me

I look after my gear, but am not precious about it, and my US Standard Precision is my go to gigging bass, irrespective of where we`re playing, that`s what I bought it for. I`ve no intention of selling it so have no concerns over resale value. I agree with Skol303s dad on this, look after your tools/gear, and it will look after you.

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1465326844' post='3067244'] yeah, based on the above i'd like to provide an addendum to my comment: If you call an absolutely obssessively focused detailed setup (truss, relief, intonation, strings selection, etc.) 'babying' then i'm 200% guilty. [b]I don't really care what happens to the paint work - either way. Playability and tone are everything to me[/b] [/quote]

Exactly! A flight case is ok, but rip out all that mamby-pamby padding stuff!!! Just think of the ding and scratch opportunities you'd miss out on. Actually, why not keep a handful of pea-shingle in there as well, for good measure? :P

Ok, TBH I look after mine and can't understand anyone who doesn't.
That said I do have a slightly roughed up Corvette. Strangely I enjoy having one that's been around the block once or twice. But I would still be a bit miffed if my others got dinged

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1465324417' post='3067206']
Another case of black and white extremes!

Basses are neither babies nor tools. They are instruments (hence, that being what they are called). They won't die and you won't go to prison if they get knocked about, but they will stop doing their job so well if knocked out of 'calibration'. You can't trust them to handle being chucked about like you might a hammer or screwdriver, which incidentally will also last longer and work better if not battered in the course of duty.

Generally speaking, look after them- don't marry them. Or just f*** them up if you like. They are yours, at the end of the day.
[/quote]
Yep - I'm fairly rough with it but it's looked after at a technical level - it's reliced - why not help it along

I like to look after what I own, whatever it is that I own. I don't understand why anyone would be happy to see their 'tool' bashed about, scratched and damaged wherever it could be avoided. A car is essentially a tool, do the same people treat their vehicle in the same way?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1465329915' post='3067299']
All of my gear is immaculate, despite heavy gigging. I just look after it, it's not difficult.
[/quote]

This. Exactly this.

As a Arethea would say R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Treat instruments well and they'll serve you well. Don't get hung up about the odd bump which will happen, but keep 'em clean, with good strings. I don't get buying a new instrument which has been deliberately aged though, what's that all about?

[quote name='byrne182' timestamp='1465314403' post='3067046']

[/quote]

How do you guarantee that they are in "good working order" when you "beat the living crap out of them"?

All my gear gets gigged. Every piece works for it's living and when I find something I think is better the old gear gets retired and becomes the backup. Anything older than that gets sold.

None of my gear has ever has the "crap" beaten out of it. That seems to be a particularly pointless thing to do in the pursuit of making music.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1465329915' post='3067299']
All of my gear is immaculate, despite heavy gigging. I just look after it, it's not difficult.
[/quote]

+ another one - well mostly. I have a couple of basses which I bought used which have more significant dings than things I've bought new or used in immaculate condition have.

There are some fairly clear ground rules:-

1) bass is always in its case and out of harms way whilst the drummer is assembling or disassembling, or moving equipment
2) bass is never left unattended whilst singer fiddles with the mixer (which is often placed next to my bass amp) - they have a habit of knocking guitars off stands with elbows etc whilst swivelling round to ask for someone to test a Mike etc (PRS guitar finishes and a Musicman bass fretboard have the tell tale dents)
In fact I bought a US Sub and showed our singer the industrial textured finish - he commented tgat would avoid him damaging it......
3) when playing in olde English pubs with low ceiling beams remember the slightest lift of headstock above 45 degrees is likely to knock a chunk out of the headstock
4) when playing with drummers remember if they don't catch you out with the edge of a cymbal, they may well have a steel stand pointing out at a horizontal angle somewhere, perfectly aligned to enable you to whack your thigh or scratch and dent your bass body
5) when putting your prized instrument in or out of its hard case make sure you open it properly - those catches will put a whacking great scratch in your bass if you happen to drag it or drop it over one of them
6) when changing a battery on your Musicman with vintage type chrome cover release both screws and lift off the plate with the bass flat on its front - otherwise when you turn it or it drops it will put a nice semi circular scratch the radius of the control plate in your finish.

A bit of care will preserve your prized basses even with a heavy gigging schedule!!