Why become a member? ×

Power amp options for a kemper profiling amp.

cliffyspliff

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1477582289' post='3163174']
The first time I came across a variable damping option was in the Duncan Convertible combo (although it had been around for decades before that). It was a simple knob that allowed you to vary the damping factor from high to low. Lowering the damping factor gives a pleasant "bloom" to the sound together with slightly more warmth, which apparently makes the electric guitar sound better. The effect was certainly audible. Whether it's appropriate for bass depends on what you're after, I suppose.
[/quote]

I'm guessing the "bloom" is where EAW comment about "muddy" and "punch"?

Sorry to the OP if this has suddenly made life more complex! :P

Edited by EBS_freak

There is certainly a lot of nonsense on the web about amplifier damping factor. As far as I can ascertain, it only makes an audible difference if it is *really* low, i.e. below 5. The EAW person who wrote that article claims that a cable series resistance of .15 ohms will reduce the damping factor to an unacceptable level. I guess he must not be familiar with passive crossovers.

Anyway, there is a video on YouTube where Andy, boss and designer at Matrix, explains that his standard amps didn't produce the kind of sound guitarists are looking for and that dropping the damping factor is what did it.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1477609369' post='3163416']
I honestly have no idea about damping or any of the acronyms at work here...life is too short!

The Matrix is outstanding. It's a belter; plug in your pre-stage, plug in your bass, power up and booooom.

That is all.
[/quote]
Would like to a/b - this sound very interesting. I think that I would be less bothered in bass - but when it comes to guitars, my ears are a lot more pedantic about tone.