Why become a member? ×

Replacement pick ups for Squier classic vibe Jazz

pnefc42

Evening all

Am after a bit of advice from anyone in the know

Have been happily playing my custom built GB IV since taking delivery of it from Bernie 10 years ago so have been completely happy tone wise! Anyway it's due a major service so is on its way back to Brighton for some long overdue TLC......

Not wanting to be without a jazz type bass in the interim I picked up a used Squier Classic vibe 60s bass at the weekend as a 'stopgap' & have to admit to being quite taken with it. It's well put together and plays very nicely indeed. The only department where it's lacking at all (and this isn't a criticism as for the price it's a great bass) is the output (tone wise it lacks a little 'punch' & the bringe p-up when soloed sounds a little thin)

As I really rather like the bass I'm wondering about swapping out the p-ups for something with a bit more poke. Can anyone with experience of doing something similar suggest any possible options?

Thanks in advance!

I was looking around at Jazz pups whilst waiting for my CV Jazz to turn up, and really liked the sound of the Fender Custom Shop 60s out of the various comparisons on YouTube etc. But when the bass turned up I was perfectly happy with it stock! The bridge pickup is weedy by itself yes, but they always are to me, it's a sound I never use.

I own a Squier VM Jazz bass and after using the 'stock' pickups (the Seymour Designed ones) for a few years i decided to try something else and settled on a pair of Wilkinson pickups. I had a 'Vintage' jazz bass and the hardware and pickups were/are Wilkinson and those pickups were fantastic. The difference wasn't massive until played with the band and the change is evident. More volume and a little more bite and brightness. You can pick them up on e-bay for around £40 if memory serves.
A good, not-too-expensive, option.

I found the stock pups a bit lacking in something, probably bite and growl IIR (it was a long time ago). I replaced them with a set of Wizard 74's and never looked back. They seemed to give the bass a bit more mid punch and clarity, without sounding hot and gritty. Had the bass about 7 years now and cant really fault it, although i dont use it these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the Squier CV Jazz. But I did replace the pickups in my Roadworn Jazz, for a pair of old
secondhand DiMarzio pickups - I got them cheap, after placing a wanted ad on a local facebook group
The pickups are amazing. They have a lot of punch, yet still sound vintage
Good luck in your search :)

• 1 month later...

Anyone tried these? ...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ironstone-Jazz-Bass-Alnico-V-5-Electric-Guitar-Pickups-for-Fender-Jazz-Bass-/182145217930?var=&hash=item2a68b3758a:m:mQI0imlth99mrH9zh3a9GSQ"]http://www.ebay.co.u...h99mrH9zh3a9GSQ[/url]

I would like to swap out my DiMarzios for some vintage style.

Edited by bh2

I've just swapped out the standard fit Sandberg single coils in my Cali 2 TT for EMG JVX (with some trepidation initially) and am now a total convert. Plenty of everything imho. The bass whisperer does a good review too.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1468823314' post='3093482']
Di Marzio model J
[/quote]

I've been a bit non plussed with mine, although active they're stunning. Going back to passive though as I'm getting too many repair bills for my rigs. The east is too hot I figure.

Vintage style and stack knobs.

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1468851524' post='3093761']
I've been a bit non plussed with mine, although active they're stunning. Going back to passive though as I'm getting too many repair bills for my rigs. [b]The east is too hot I figure.[/b]

Vintage style and stack knobs.
[/quote]

But it has trim pots inside so that you can adjust the output. Is that not doing the trick?

No... I tend to try to play as loud as the drums.. enough said. My Ashdown will burn and my Ampeg will just die.

I am barred now from PMT in Oxford.

Passive is fine on my Precisions... the DM's don't cut it though.

Edited by bh2

I recently bought a Jazz Bass body from Ebay which had Wilkinson pickups fitted. I wasn't interested in the pickups and planned to replace them with some Fender USA pickups, or whatever, but after fitting a neck to the body, I was really pleasantly surprised.

I've owned a lot of Jazz basses but IMO, these these pickups sound superior to any others I've had the experience of using (USA & Japanese). Such a lovely punchy sound, with some sweet (not harsh) highs. I've played them through a John East J retro and just a normal passive loom and they sound great active or passive.

They are Alnico with waxed cotton wires. They cost about £40 for the pair. Real classy, classic sounding pickups which won't break the bank.

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1469460887' post='3098482']
What did you replace them with?
[/quote]I replaced the standard Fender ones with the DiMarzio Ultra Js and sold the bass on with those fitted.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1469886395' post='3101789']
Bear in mind Fender Jazz pickups used to be different sizes, but I believe Squier and some copies no longer follow this and make both pickups the same size:

[/quote]

You need to check in each case. Many Squiers have different size pickups, while some indeed have both the same size as the neck one... can't generalise, so you need to measure to be sure.