Why become a member? ×

Stingray Classic slab body vs contoured body

highwayman

I have both.

The contoured is comfier but there again if I didn't have a beer gut I'm sure the slab would sit comfortably in front of me rather than slightly offset to accommodate.

I have a photo I took of an even more portly gentleman than me playing my slab bodied Stingray and it's actually sitting on top of his belly - up under the chin style Mark King strap position ........

I don't have a problem with the lack of an arm contour - maybe causes marginally more sweating on the arm.

All in all its not really a consideration when choosing a bass to take to a gig - in some ways it's quite a cool feature, aesthetically.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1465290175' post='3066739']
I'm sure the millions of people who play an acoustic guitar would wonder what all this fuss is about?
[/quote]

Nah, I've got an acoustic and it's not a problem as you reach round it, but I struggle with non contoured bodies on bass, as I rest my forearm right on the top of the body.

I played a ric for a while and wore a wrist band to stop it cutting in

I don't mind not having an arm contour - maybe playing a plectrum makes it less of an issue for me than if I played finger-style?
I don't have a belly so maybe I'm not missing the back contour either!
Does the slab body 'sound' better due to the extra timber?