Why become a member? ×

Always-on preamps in your signal chain: have you just got the wrong amp?

Muzz

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1465845515' post='3071566']
I'm of the opinion you've got it wrong if you have a pre amp patched in 'on' full time.
[/quote]

It's no different to having the preamp stage of an amplifier on all of the time, and nearly everyone does that. ;)

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1465934344' post='3072298']
But as I've said and others have said, using the same amp every gig and rehearsal isn't possible for every one. If you want the exact same tone hitting foh wherever you play then a preamp pedal is an easy way to do it. Seems logical to me.
[/quote]

And how would you control what came out of FOH..because if you can't do that...what is the point of giving them exact same tone..?
And if you were that particular, why would you use a pedal... because most are on the cheaper side of things?

Well I kindof see the point here, but before I went into the studio I was really happy with my tone, but as I`ve said, I liked what the producer did so much I went and got the same bit of kit, that when combined with my amp, made the sound I liked so much/preferred to the original. I`m sure there`s an amp out there that can make that sound on its own but I`d then want a preamp/DI pedal of that amp so I could get my sound if using provided rigs, something which happens a lot I should add.

Another thread where everyone is probably right in their own way....

My experience:

1) When touring you have no idea what amp you may have so DI-ing from the pedal allows you to know exactly what sound you are sending. Plus you often can't tour with a rig so your own preamp / DI is vital.

2) easier and cheaper to buy a range of pre-amps for different sounds then buying new amps

3) silent pit work without an amp needs a good pre-amp/DI

I've a range of pre-amp pedals for different sounds / styles and it's great. I know I'm always sending a great sound FOH whatever the situation.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1465931191' post='3072259']

Because you have an amp for that and any decent should be able to outperform a pedal
[/quote]

I think you may be missing the point of preamp pedals.

The preamp pedal is set the same, for all occasions. The amp? Well that is adjusted to suit it's purpose in the situation it is in, similarly a PA would be adjusted if you went amp less. The core tone of your sound comes from the always on preamp pedal, which remains a constant in all situations.

It's similar to your active basses. Certainly for me, the settings on my basses are not altered, I will alter the preamp usually. I find a setting I like and stick to it.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1465935720' post='3072314'] And how would you control what came out of FOH..because if you can't do that...what is the point of giving them exact same tone..? And if you were that particular, why would you use a pedal... because most are on the cheaper side of things? [/quote]

Less variables, less chance my other effects reacting strangely to the PA, more likely the tone that suits the band will cut through. less mucking around time trying to get the amp sounding just right. Lots of reasons.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1465944724' post='3072425']
I think you may be missing the point of preamp pedals.

[b]The preamp pedal is set the same, for all occasions. The amp? Well that is adjusted to suit it's purpose in the situation it is in, similarly a PA would be adjusted if you went amp less.[/b] The core tone of your sound comes from the always on preamp pedal, which remains a constant in all situations.

It's similar to your active basses. Certainly for me, the settings on my basses are not altered, I will alter the preamp usually. I find a setting I like and stick to it.
[/quote]

Why would you change the amp ...I can't recall the last time I've altered the amp EQ on gig... so therefore it does the same job as the pre-amp.
My amps produce a better signal than a lot of pedals, I'm pretty sure, the DI is better and/or you use a didicated DI box.

So, from my point of view and in answer to the OP, I would not want a pre amp pedal on all the time.... and I really wouldn't want one at all.
If I wanted a high quality signal into a desk, I'd either go DI stage box and get a mon mix back to me if the stage had a Mon engr, or I'd have
a good quality rack type pre amp.
But thats just me..

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1466006427' post='3072781']
Less variables, less chance my other effects reacting strangely to the PA, more likely the tone that suits the band will cut through. less mucking around time trying to get the amp sounding just right. Lots of reasons.
[/quote]

But how would you know if the P.A wasn't engr'd... and even if it was... how would you know he didn't alter your send?
The only way you'd really know is if you had spec'd the sound and the Engr knew exactly what you wanted.. and had good reason to stick that brief..?