Why become a member? ×

Which Strap Buttons???

Malcspring1

Hey folks,
Just took delivery of my MusicMan Bongo4 the other day. What a beautiful instrument. I also bought some strap locks for it and they came supplied with their own screws which as it turned out are very short. About half an inch long. I took one of the original strap buttons off and the screw is huge. Over an inch long. I like the idea that MM have over engineered it that way, so the after market strap locks I bought are going back. I just don't feel confident with them. Also I have seen some strap buttons that actually hold the strap away from the body so not to rub the body and mark it. Does anyone know where I can get them from and what are they called? (brand name)

Thanks guys

• Like 1

Just use the original strap button screws, so long as they fit in the new strap lock buttons.

I always use the Schaller strap locks, and the screws provided with them are always a good replacement for the stock strap button screws.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

I'm another Schaller user so I can't give a definitive first-hand answer but I think someone has mentioned the rubber plumbing washers from B&Q before. https://www.diy.com/departments/plumbsure-rubber-plumbing-washers-pack-of-2/184672_BQ.prd

Someone ( @ped ?) organised some Basschat special ones ages ago but I suspect they'll all have gone now.

• Like 1

You are after vintage, try Ibanez Dead End.

Schaller's straplocks have changed a bit during the years, check the nut every now and then, as well as the newer pin/screw combo. They may loosen in use.

Dunlop is a functional one, check the duo version.

Any unit you choose, regular check of the screws and nuts is important.

An addition: Vigier used inserts in the body. Take a look at it:

• Like 1

Anybody else find a difference in straps? I have a wide solid leather strap purchased in 1975. Never slipped off a bass and still going strong. I bought a padded one last year and had to get those cheap plastic twisty locks to keep it on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dclaassen said:

Anybody else find a difference in straps? I have a wide solid leather strap purchased in 1975. Never slipped off a bass and still going strong. I bought a padded one last year and had to get those cheap plastic twisty locks to keep it on.

I’ve used mainly Jim Dunlop plastic strap locks / retainers for over 30 years now, and never had any

problems with them. They are secure, easy to use, don’t cost an arm and a leg, easily transferable 

to all my instruments and don’t need to change any of the fittings on any them either. ( Did have some

red ones too which are a lot easier to find when you’ve dropped one on a darkened stage.) Personally

I’ve never understood the whole thing with metal strap locks, just too much faff and expense.

I’ve also used Grolsch swing top bottle washers occasionally, again with 100% positive results. These are

still available in larger supermarkets, and I do like the beer too. Again, easy to find if you drop them. 
Not as easy to secure as the Dunlops, with larger strap buttons being sometimes difficult. Fender did

some similar ones a while back , as did Basschat too. 

IMG_0192.webp

• Like 1

6 hours ago, guyl said:

Ready for some new Grolsch rubber seals. But can't find the bottles anywhere. Do they still exist? (happy to buy someone a couple if i can have the seals...!)

These d'addario versions are good. Fender & Ernie ball also have their own versions in various colours — I have all three types plus no-name ones & a few old Grolsch ones. The D'addarios seem slightly easier to get on & off than the others.

in red: https://amzn.to/3uQ2wRB

or black: https://amzn.to/4a2C9rT

61nRLYCqx3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

Loxx strap locks are the very best I've found over the decades.

https://www.thomann.de/nl/loxx_security_lock_gd.htm?msclkid=e35230d12d7e14bb51b455a07292edd9&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping NL&utm_term=4576167415641879&utm_content=GI

Flat fit, strong, lasting and secure, no squeeking and faster to click on and off than the Grolsch washers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, guyl said:

Ready for some new Grolsch rubber seals. But can't find the bottles anywhere. Do they still exist? (happy to buy someone a couple if i can have the seals...!)

Fender sell them now. 
I also found that they have bottles with the Grolsch type lids in the kitchen section of IKEA. You may sometimes find that a couple seals have ‘fallen off’ the bottles.

• Like 1

Schallers on all of mine except a Mikey Way Mustang, the screws on the MW do not want to play with Schaller pins and I really didn't want to plug it so that one lives with Grolsch rubbers.  Never had a problem with Schallers or Grolsch tops - unlike Dunlops which I found could let go if not checked fairly often.  YMMV.

I use the Harley Benton StrapMaster rubber washer strap locks:

image.png.28cf7001421ab84b23de6ca61b94c64c.png

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_strapmaster_pack1.htm

1.70£/2 Euro for a pack of 4, and there is a set of grey and black ones too.

Simple and dirt cheap, but really effective and easy to use and apply/remove.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

On 06/12/2023 at 23:19, PaulThePlug said:

Just seen these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284274593800?

Think i'll go these at the bottom... also offer some fair protection! and a basschat washer on the horn!..

That way the strap can be undone if need be simply at one end...

I use those in a few of my basses. They work really well. 

• Like 1

Always used Schaller, have them on my Bongo 5, they hold the strap off the body well and the new design has a grub screw in the collar that solves the old "working loose" issue that the original design suffered from.

Edited by WinterMute