Why become a member? ×

UK's Best Part-Time Band - BBC4

mentalextra

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1465421435' post='3068165']
...and our very own WoT appearing on Friday! ;)
[/quote]
I thought the name The Caffreys rang a bell! I saw the sunburst P and it clicked. I love a bit of close harmony, me. :-)

Crikey that was a well contested round! Well done The Caffreys....inspired choice of cover .. a
.Sheffield band.... for the leadmill.

I wouldn't have been able to pick two bands from that lot but the harmonies in your band, Mr 0ftyne :) stand out.

All the best for the rest of the competition.

And I did too. Harmonies were good and the BBC (or production co) managed to get a great bass sound. Or perhaps it was the player, WoT. So respect.

What a great warm-hearted programme, especially from Hooky who, I must admit, has been a bit out of my genre.

Loved the show, and great work by The Caffreys (well done Michael), but it left me wanting to know more about the Acid-Bhangra-Rock outfit from Peterborough, Kissmet.

At their initial piece of the show when they were rehearsing I thought they sounded great, really interesting, original, and a great beat. At the Sheffield battle of the bands their version of Sunshine Of Your Love was strictly UK pub rock ... well-played and they're clearly a good band, but all the bhangra was gone and with it the originality. What was that all about?

Ah.. cheers, everyone. :)

It is warm-hearted, and I'm glad that comes across. It's a genuine celebration of live music. And Hooky was lovely, not anything like as prickly as I'd expected.

The whole production team have been completely pro throughout. FWIW, [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07f2hmw/uks-best-parttime-band-2-north#playt=0h32m20s"]the kitchen bit[/url] was recorded via a single - very nice - mic in the room. I'm using my little Ibanez Promethan combo.

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07f2hmw/uks-best-parttime-band-2-north#playt=0h52m39s"]The gig at the Sheffield Leadmill[/url] was DI & a mic'd Ampeg fridge.

Flats all the way :-)

The final is on BBC2 a week tonight.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1465666028' post='3070104']
Loved the show, and great work by The Caffreys (well done Michael), but it left me wanting to know more about the Acid-Bhangra-Rock outfit from Peterborough, Kissmet.

At their initial piece of the show when they were rehearsing I thought they sounded great, really interesting, original, and a great beat. At the Sheffield battle of the bands their version of Sunshine Of Your Love was strictly UK pub rock ... well-played and they're clearly a good band, but all the bhangra was gone and with it the originality. What was that all about?
[/quote]

Big gig for a part time band: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46wqmpSnPKU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46wqmpSnPKU[/url]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1465593838' post='3069600']
Thanks, folks! The adventure continues :-)
[/quote]

Loved your playing (and singing) really excellent band.

Would love it BBC4 put the whole performances on youtube as well as all the auditions that didn't get airtime too.

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1465679351' post='3070218']
Loved your playing (and singing) really excellent band.

Would love it BBC4 put the whole performances on youtube as well as all the auditions that didn't get airtime too.
[/quote]

Cheers :-)

I assumed - and hoped - they'd be put some full performances on the iPlayer at some point. Maybe after the final?

I haven't watched the show but following this thread and jumping in and out of the programme and fast forwarding to each band but so far i thought The Caffreys stole the show. Harmonies are incredible and a great song.
And i have mates from Scotland on it who were shown a 4 sec clip but The Caffreys is a band i'd like to see live maybe up in Scotland at some point please if you're listening.

Dave

[/quote]

Exactly my feelings about Kissmet - and finding myself really a bit put out by the focus on covers. Isn't part of the entire point of the show that these are original "part time" bands making their own music?

NB quite happy to make an exception for The Caffrey's rather excellent re-imagining of Don't You Want Me. Not sure if that makes me a hypocrite, but I do feel the best covers are interpretations, not imitations.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1465733242' post='3070547']
Exactly my feelings about Kissmet - and finding myself really a bit put out by the focus on covers. Isn't part of the entire point of the show that these are original "part time" bands making their own music?

NB quite happy to make an exception for The Caffrey's rather excellent re-imagining of Don't You Want Me. Not sure if that makes me a hypocrite, but I do feel the best covers are interpretations, not imitations.

J.
[/quote]

There's been lots of discussion around the whole covers thing, and it's a fair point. As far as I'm aware, all of the featured bands play predominantly original material, but I guess at some point a decision was taken to ask bands to play a cover and an original at each stage to broaden the appeal of the show.

I can totally understand the reasons behind it, and as we don't really do covers, we just had a bit of fun learning some. :-)

The amount of people who've picked up on our original song from the episode is amazing - it's being talked about more than the cover, which is nice.

[/quote]

I saw the program backwards, ie, I saw the last performances first, then caught up with the start later on. When they were on I was wondering why they were described as 'acid-bangra' when they were just playing a rock song. OK, they did it fine, but it wasn't any different from other people. Then I saw their earlier song, and thought that was really impressive, so no idea why they didn't have anything like that later!