Why become a member? ×

UK's Best Part-Time Band - BBC4

mentalextra

I've been lucky enough to see Bombskare live a couple of times and they were incredible. The whole audience danced and jumped around all through the show.Midge was right, light touchpaper and stand well back. Female bass player was good, very solid, didn't catch sight of her gear but tone was spot on.

Mrs2611 and I watched it this morning, we agreed that the best two bands went through, it's great to see the huge depth of talent we have gigging around this septic isle.....I hope they all get paid for every gig, woe betide any of them that play for free :ph34r:

I wonder if the bands that appear on the show are getting paid for their time!

Thoroughly enjoyed this program. A refreshing mix of good bands - i thought they were all good in their own ways - and the 2 i liked most went through.

Bombskare were awesome, so much energy and i bet they are a real laugh live - i dont even like ska.....

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Surprisingly good show - just thought it was a shame that they only aired viciously edited versions of the performances - and too many covers!

Delighted to see Bombskare doing well, have seen them a good few times, they are an outrageously good & entertaining live band. Back in the early 00s my band got involved organising the live music for the Meadows Festival in Edinburgh & booked Bombskare as closing act one of the years.

Mandy Clarke's a great bassist, she used to play in a 3-piece absurdist prog band called Stepdads, gigged with them a few times.

Jon.

One I thing I took away from the programme was that I wanted to hear more from all of the acts. And that it's meant to be fun! The voodoo groove boys are a great bunch and spent many a gig watching them. And check out their Fb page where they have basically spent the last day being nice about the other bands. Too often I practice at the local practice rooms and play gigs with other bands and there is an element of suspicion. I don't even get as much as a hello from them.

Yup, great viewing. All the bands were interesting, and agree about the winning two.
Rhod Gilbert and Midge Ure both came across well I thought, very funny and genuine.
Will be watching next episode with interest - Hooky from Joy Division, then the week after Jazzy B.

Just caught up with this, think they should have stuck with Midge Ure he sounds knowledgeable and personable and comes across well on TV. Never been a fan of Peter Hook so not sure if I will watch the next one. As others have said the strongest 2 bands were picked, realistically I don't think any of the others would have any complaints being edged out. Of the rest I'd go see the Irish all-girl band doing their take on well known songs, was something a bit different.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1465112629' post='3065285']
Great show. And well done Midge for dissing the mediocrity of today's pop music.
[/quote]

I was pleasantly surprised by Midge, not what I was expecting. Nice touch giving them a van to drive around in :D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1465217280' post='3066169']
That was a great bit of dialogue. Good on them for leaving it in.
[/quote]

But it was a lazy and inaccurate dig. Most mainstream music has always been mediocre. But that's what helps the truly interesting stuff stand out.

Unfortunately IMO none of the bands on this programme really captured the imagination. On the evidence of the snippets of music presented, Bombskare were the most entertaining band by a long long way - although with ska being such uplifting good-time music you have to be pretty crap not to be able to capitalise on this.

Then it was just a question of which of the other bands were going to be the least dull in order to get through... Musically it all seemed to be rather predictably worthy and tedious, the sort of things that musicians rather than real audiences find interesting. I would have liked to have seen and heard more from the skiffle band, as they seemed to be a bit less obvious than the bands that did make it through.

I found it a bit mixed. Yes, it was great to see a programme giving some publicity to some bands, and in a wider sense to the local music scene as a whole - but were those five bands [i][b]really[/b][/i] the best that they found in the whole of Scotland, Norn Iron and Wales? How were the bands selected? How did they bring themselves to the attention of the programme makers? It was clearly filmed in the winter, but I don't recall hearing anything about it at that time...

At the end of the day, can there ever be a "best" at anything related to music? It's all so subjective after all.

I also picked out the two winning bands, but it wasn't difficult as they were head and shoulders above the others.

Rhod Gilbert was OK when he was just being himself, but his more scripted lines were cringeworthily awful (IMO). Midge Ure is always good value (although his story about Concorde and learning the Thin Lizzy set is getting a bit dull now! :lol: ).

So who won the National "Title" then? Some of you who were involved must know... :ph34r:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1465223909' post='3066265']
At the end of the day, can there ever be a "best" at anything related to music? It's all so subjective after all.
[/quote]

I think that's the crux of it (and Midge's comments, too). It's just a bit of entertainment really, and a reminder to a nation that's largely force-fed X-Factor's Got Talent that there's a huge scene out there ready to discover.