Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Supertone problem

iloveturtles

Hello all.

I just bought a Hipshot Supertone for my Epiphone Thunderbird which will eventually be a Fenderbird.

I assembled it and the first impression I got was, wow, this is huge.
It's really thick and after looking closely on the saddles it looks like you would need to have the pickups super high up.
Just like the Epi-T looks like stock.

Am I right in this? I really hate that huge gap between the strings and the body that the Epi-T stock has.
Am I better off just buying a Gotoh or Badass?

[quote name='iloveturtles' timestamp='1464897083' post='3063685']
Hello all.

I just bought a Hipshot Supertone for my Epiphone Thunderbird which will eventually be a Fenderbird.

I assembled it and the first impression I got was, wow, this is huge.
It's really thick and after looking closely on the saddles it looks like you would need to have the pickups super high up.
Just like the Epi-T looks like stock.

Am I right in this? I really hate that huge gap between the strings and the body that the Epi-T stock has.
Am I better off just buying a Gotoh or Badass?
[/quote]

It's designed to directly replace the three pointer, so it's going to directly replace it, string height and all. If you're intent on keeping the three point bridge mounting you might get a lower down solution with the Babicz three point replacement (it has a spacer plate to bring it up to three point height but obviously it can be omitted) but I can't confim that having never held one in my hand or worked with one. I never had a bother with the Supertone on my Gibson RD or NR Thunderbird, but I didn't have a problem with where the strings were on them originally so that might have something to do with it ;)

I've decided on abandoning the 3-point bridge. It's just a drag.
The holes are gonna show, but f*** it. I'll order a Gotoh 201 or something.
I've had enough.

I might have some problems with avoiding the holes though, might have to only use 3 out ouf 5 screws, the ones in the middle.

I concur with Neeph on the Babicz. I've got them fitted to my last two Gibsons. Didn't need the blanking plate, so I'd assume you'd be able to get the action right down. Also one thing to consider is to make your final decision after you've got the neck on.

Plus it looks right.
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1464966296' post='3064242']
I concur with Neeph on the Babicz. I've got them fitted to my last two Gibsons. Didn't need the blanking plate, so I'd assume you'd be able to get the action right down. Also one thing to consider is to make your final decision after you've got the neck on.

Plus it looks right.
P
[/quote]

Okay, I see. But - from the pictures it looks like you have fixed intonation holes...? Isn't this sketchy when having fitted a new neck? So that you can kinda fall in between if you know what I mean.

I've got the Supertone on my Fenderbird (had it on two), and though the pups have been raised, I don't recall any major issues. I did replace the neck and the pups, too, though - and added chrome surrounds and covers:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:147458]

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1464904897' post='3063759']
It's designed to directly replace the three pointer, so it's going to directly replace it, string height and all. If you're intent on keeping the three point bridge mounting you might get a lower down solution with the Babicz three point replacement (it has a spacer plate to bring it up to three point height but obviously it can be omitted) but I can't confim that having never held one in my hand or worked with one. I never had a bother with the Supertone on my Gibson RD or NR Thunderbird, but I didn't have a problem with where the strings were on them originally so that might have something to do with it ;)

[/quote]

Yes, it sure looks nice. Pricey though! And the whole fixed intonation thing seems a bit odd...?

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1465079040' post='3065210']
I'm assuming you're answering the question you put to me above!
[/quote]

That is correct. Hehe. I've ordered the FCH3 now. Thanks for all help. The eCAM tech. looks good, I must admit.
And the optional shim is just something Hipshot should've thought about a long time ago. Finally now I can get the low action I like and still keep my bass a 3 point.
Thanks!