Why become a member? ×

[Video/Recording] Testing out my new Spector Legend 4 tones!

Mattayus

Evening all!

Apologies in advance - I am a guitarist (don't throw things!)
I'm in a gigging band but I have done my own EP as something of a side project.

Anyway long story short the EP is nearly at an end, but I've tried SO many basses out. It's the last piece of the puzzle for me to be satisfied with (obviously being a guitarist, deciding on the guitar tone has been something of a work in progress for months) but I feel I'll finally found something satisfactory.

I started out with a 5 string Jazz bass. Flogged that for an Ibanez SRX700 (very nice), then thought I might try the Jazz sound again but didn't need the low B so got a 4... then hocked that for a P-bass... then borrowed a mate's Aria SB...

Anyway, it transpired that I seem to only really dig the modern humbucker sound for my music. Don't get me wrong, I love old school basses, P, J, and P/J alike, but for me personally, my playing "style" (if you can call it that!) and the tone I have in my head is only really achievable with something akin to the humbucker sound.

Enter the Spector! I was really unsure about it as I'd only had youtube clips to go on (again, guitarist here, so never really within the bass community, my knowledge/experience is somewhat limited beyond what I get to hear on the live circuit).

(sorry if this embed doesn't work, basschat newb here!)

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O78_W4ovuQ"][VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O78_W4ovuQ[/VIDEO][/url]

Bass is mixed very loud for demonstration purposes, obviously would be turned down somewhat in the final mix, but you get the idea...

I love the muscular *bark* it has when you dig in with the pick. I had actually intended to do this EP with fingers but to be frank I just prefer the tone and the more direct note fundamental I'm able to achieve with a pick. I do have the odd slap part in there though so that's something...

anyway sorry for waffling on, thought it needed a bit of context as I'm a very minimal user of the forum. I think that's about to change though as I'm really getting into bass and may indeed take it up as a live instrument (been offered a dep spot for a band)

Cheers!

Edited by Mattayus

Nope that's just a DI going through Waves CLA Bass (which gives a similar sansamp quality) but very clean, no distortion. Then duplicate the DI and put it through a distorted track (using Juicy77 plug-in with the 4x10 impulse) hi-passed at 500hz, lo-passed at 4k-ish.