Why become a member? ×

June Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]June's Composition Challenge is now underway![/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner, [b]Mornats[/b]… [/size]

Click on the 'Spoiler' button below to read the usual rules and caveats:

[spoiler]By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat Terms and Conditions and Forum Guidelines, which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.[/b] If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/spoiler]

If you have any questions, just ask.

[color=#800000][size=5][b]The deadline for entries is midnight on Thursday 23rd June.[/b][/size][/color]

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1464818328' post='3062952']
Haha, I took that photo at the Bristol Zombie Walk a couple of years ago. Banabraaiiinns Splits?
[/quote]

Not wishing to pick a fight with a zombie, but he will get a much better air-tight mask fit if he shaves off his beard!

Steampunk music? (whatever that is . . . .)

Still not well, so a bit laboured this month, and it shows. Here's mine, however; a bit shorter than sometimes (shouts of "No bad thing..!" from the more rowdy amongst you, of course..!). I give you ...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/gear-acquisition-syndrome"]Gear Acquisition Syndrome ...[/url]

Enjoy. :)

Wow, you did one already? I'm still deciding whether I want to set myself another challenge or not by trying to do this month's using just one VST (this one: http://impactsoundworks.com/products/electronic/sonic-forest/). It was mentioned that I tend to use a few more than just one or two on my tracks ;)

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that one..! Never mind, they'll be other Challenges (and I still have music to compose for my RPG game; it all serves...). I'll be away this week-end, and have some more examinations towards the end of the month, so thought I'd better just bite my lip and get it done. It's not that I particularly [i]like [/i]doing things, rather I like it when stuff gets done. In this case (and it's rare...) I can't really delegate, so, if it's to be done at all, I just have to do it..! Simple, really.
Now that's enough; I'm tired. Nowt on t'box, so time for (another...) nap...

Zzzzzzzz...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1464956651' post='3064129']
Still not well, so a bit laboured this month, and it shows. Here's mine, however; a bit shorter than sometimes (shouts of "No bad thing..!" from the more rowdy amongst you, of course..!). I give you ...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/gear-acquisition-syndrome"]Gear Acquisition Syndrome ...[/url]

Enjoy. :)
[/quote]
Clever take.

I like that idea Dad....(hope you feel better soon)....

Bit of a quick entry this month coz there's much to do !

Based loosely on a well known character in a town I used to live in. He used to run along with fire engines etc etc....

https://soundcloud.com/nigel-jewell/goggle-ron

Nige

Edited by fingers211

I've got the outline of mine done. I need to re-record some of the melody lines as my first stab at them was a bit messy with a couple of untuneful spots.

In terms of inspiration, the picture has an industrial type feel about it but I took the shot in the context of a zombie walk so horror/sci-fi/industrial would work. I think a couple of people are going for a funk theme which would fit too and if you did a cover of the Banana Splits theme that would match the picture too!

[quote name='christofloffer' timestamp='1465647800' post='3069925']must say i am struggling with this one. [/quote]
[quote name='RalphDWilson' timestamp='1465660347' post='3070051']I'm finding inspiration a bit of a challenge this month too.[/quote]

Don't over-think it guys! :)

Remember: it's not about creating a [i]literal[/i] interpretation of the picture (unless you want to, of course). It's just about using the picture as a starting point... that could apply to lyrics, choice of genre, etc, however you wish to interpret it.

There is no right or wrong. There is only do or do not. [size=3][i]< said in the voice of Yoda[/i][/size]

I've made a start...
And where it goes depends entirely on whether I add piano or synth.
If it's synth, it's likely to be a large funky thing like Madre with chugging guitars.
If it's piano, it'll be a jazzy little number with drum solo and (eek!) some scat.
Daddy or chips?

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1465887326' post='3071765']
I've made a start...
And where it goes depends entirely on whether I add piano or synth.
If it's synth, it's likely to be a large funky thing like Madre with chugging guitars.
If it's piano, it'll be a jazzy little number with drum solo and (eek!) some scat.
Daddy or chips?
[/quote]

Funk jazz.

Well here's my entry for this month - https://soundcloud.com/rikki-boyes/junkyard-funk

I knew I wasn't going to have much time this month to come up with something (still setting up in my new job) so I decided to set myself the challenge to limit myself to one evening to compose and record this months entry and this was what resulted. It's kind of sloppy/thrown together and the ending is a bit rushed but I did enjoy making it, at least! I wish I could spend more time polishing it, but it is what it is!

I apologise for the all the inadequacies! :-)

There's nothing stopping you from going back to your track after you've entered it into the comp Rikki. I've gone back and tidied up a few after the competition's ended.

I've rendered mine down into a mix ready for testing on different systems. My new technique for checking levels is to listen to it in the office. I use a pair of Sony open-back earbuds (similar in shape to the Apple ones you get with the latest iPhones) so I can't have them too loud. So the level I need to listen to them at when at work is ideal for checking that high notes don't scream out too much and that at the same volume I can still hear the lower frequencies and any subtleties.

Well I have started one now , I am just about managing to get a bit done when it is hammering down , We are mad busy at work and I have an extension to finish building so it is a struggle to catch an hour here and there , and even then it takes me an hour to remember how to play the last bit I just did !

I've kept mine mercifully short'n'sweet!
Warning, contains purely-executed scat content and other things that some of a sensitive nature might find deeply offensive.
:gas: :P

http://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/harry-monk-and-his-steampunk-funk

Now remixed....

Edited by Leonard Smalls

right then, i got something done. i have a pile of half done ideas that i got tired of so i just took the bits that i had fun playing from them and threw this together. its rather basic and has very little to do with the pic.
the original idea of electrofunk just died in the water as it was just too similar to last months effort. i think i like this one for its simplicity and rough edges though, i always try to polish things up but in the absence of a good idea this was just fun. hell its better than nothing and i like to get at least something in each month as it keeps me progressing. word of warning to those who frequent the higher volumes, it starts all of a sudden as i couldnt think of an intro. :blush:

[url="https://soundcloud.com/christofloffer/the-bristol-zombie-strut"]https://soundcloud.c...ol-zombie-strut[/url]

Edited by christofloffer