Why become a member? ×

Acting pro'

Dan Dare

In one band I'm in we have two guitarists, one of whom seems incapable of staying in tune for two consecutive songs (so that's a 60-second tuning break inserted into every gap between songs, making the gaps longer), and the other takes five minutes to tune his guitar before each set with the volume on his combo turned up so that the whole pub can wince in unison.

I'm sure they know what they're doing, and we often get compliments on the way that we've built the tuning process into our performance.

OK, I made that last bit up.

Yup! If I can invest in a cable trunk then why can't our guitarists? And why leave their laundry bag full of spare cables in plain sight? And don't even get me started on mindless noodling in between sets, playing the intro of the next song while I'm talking to the crowd etc.

Edited by DaytonaRik

yes. its normal though. singers are the worst. usual lacking one or all of the following: transport, monitor, mic, mic lead.

if asked if they could invest some of their earnings in any of the above you get looked at like you've just killed one of their children.

so many folks regardless of instrument get into the whole band thing for the wrong reasons in the first place.
ie; now that you've pointed out my faults my answer is I'm only doing it for a bit of a laugh/ not really a professional so I'm allowed to not practice so it doesnt matter that im pissing every one else off
or ......have a distorted view of them selves. ie: I'm great so i dont need to bother learning material well, making an effort to look right, checking my equipment works ok prior to a gig rather than at the gig, its kinda more a rock thing if I just swan in here and you know..just go with the flow man.

due to the overall lack of readily available all round cool people as well as being a musician types out there, we all end up putting up with this on a regular basis cause we have no choice. Unless we have a major diva and quit which means no giggy wiggy till the idiot is replaced with another one.

I cant remember ever ever being in a "semi pro" regular gigging band where there isnt at least the one " ...sigh..." (holds head on hand) if only they could be replaced.....

I was lucky in that I learnt the hard way, early on, the importance of carrying spares. At one of my very first proper gigs I broke a string during the opening number. I didn't even have a spare string let alone a spare bass. The bassist in the headlining band very kindly let me use his bass to allow my band to do our set. Unfortunately it was a horrible Violin bass copy on a strap so long it hung down my knees and had absolutely zero sustain. The following week I went out and bought myself a cheap back-up bass and a spare set of strings.

So nowadays, like a lot of other people here, I'm organised and because I play other instruments I always have a case of spares and tools to cover the majority of non-drum-related problems. I'm happy to break this out when needed because the rest of my band are normally well organised themselves, and so it's only required in dire emergencies.

However if I was to find myself in a band with some of the people described here, I'd be tempted to replace the contents of the case with things that would do the job, but not in an easy or comfortable way. For instance the only guitar strings would be a set of extra heavy flat-wound jazz guitar. The jack to jack leads would all be either 4ft or 40ft long etc. Hopefully they would get used once in emergency and then the "musician" in question would sort themselves out so that they didn't need to borrow stuff off me again.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1464861392' post='3063182']
It's far more about behaviour than gear for me.
[/quote]

Me too. I have good gear because I'm a gear-head, but none of my current band get GAS to any appreciable extent. But they are great musicians and they all prioritise the band; they turn up on time for rehearsals and gigs; they love gigging and they're very punctual and reliable in general. They have their own transport, they never make some lame-ass excuse not to turn up and they don't let their partners get in the way of their music agenda. In short they love what they're doing. I can easily forgive them their somewhat iffy gear; bands like this are hard to find.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1464863972' post='3063220']
Yup! If I can invest in a cable trunk then why can't our guitarists? And why leave their laundry bag full of spare cables in plain sight? And don't even get me started on mindless noodling in between sets, playing the intro of the next song while I'm talking to the crowd etc.
[/quote]

all the f**king time !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Priority 1 for me is leave your damn ego at the door. You're playing music, not performing complex brain surgery, anyone can do it.

Priority 2: No mind games - Yeah, see you

Priority 3: Punctuality - No I don't want you to be in the pub round the corner at soundcheck time

Priority 4 - everything else including backup gear

Yes I've switched bands a few times and the level of care and attention varies massively. Changes of clothing stuffed into Asda poly bags, leads in disarray. Now my flight case full of leads etc does look a bit of a mess but I know where everything is and I can set it all up (given appropriate space) in minutes. It's continually falling over discarded boxes and drum covers that wears you down. The new band seem pretty sharp though, if anything they have been waiting for me before launching into the next song which is a rarity. I've just had a text from singer giving me the exact address of the venue we are playing tomorrow, when they are turning up for load in and precisely what the payment details are. Breath of fresh air after the last lot.

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1464860539' post='3063172']
Yes, I am. That would drive me nuts, but ultimately it's none of my business.
[/quote]

It would drive you nuts if you played with a drummer who didn't use cases? I just don't get it!

I turn up early, I'm set up in 10 minutes, I have spare skins and sticks, all my gear is in good nick (apart from the floor tom leg I need to fix before the weekend!!!) and I don't f*** up. The cases I do use are always out of the way. I just don't get the problem. I gigged for years without cases, and cases are not cheap!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1464864379' post='3063227']

However if I was to find myself in a band with some of the people described here, I'd be tempted to replace the contents of the case with things that would do the job, but not in an easy or comfortable way. For instance the only guitar strings would be a set of extra heavy flat-wound jazz guitar. The jack to jack leads would all be either 4ft or 40ft long etc. Hopefully they would get used once in emergency and then the "musician" in question would sort themselves out so that they didn't need to borrow stuff off me again.
[/quote]

I love this.

It's what they bring to the party that matters....
All the gear and no idea is massively trumped by talent, but it depends what is important to you.

Anyone who is sorted, generally knows what level to operate at..or they don't get those gigs.

By the same token, they can have all the talent in the world and be a general PITA to work with...
Where do you draw that line..?

If a gig is worth so much and the guy is a rampant alcoholic or worse... then you deal with it
if that person is an integral part of the gig and can't be easily replaced,

I have long since assumed responsibility for any amp / guitar / bass related repairs and maintenance for any band I play in, it's simple guitarists and keyboard players cannot be trusted to look after their own gear, actually in Yodaclub I supply all the amps, that way I know they will work!...I tend not to worry about drummers as they will usually find something to bash on if they forget their sticks, stool or kit :yarr:

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1464865195' post='3063238']

It would drive you nuts if you played with a drummer who didn't use cases? I just don't get it!

I turn up early, I'm set up in 10 minutes, I have spare skins and sticks, all my gear is in good nick (apart from the floor tom leg I need to fix before the weekend!!!) and I don't f*** up. The cases I do use are always out of the way. I just don't get the problem. I gigged for years without cases, and cases are not cheap!
[/quote]

Aaah, that changes everything. Maybe I should have been more specific. All the other attributes you mention (being punctual, decent gear etc.) are, in my experience, abscent from those drummers without cases. Those I've run into without cases were slovenly in all other departments, which contributed to an all-round lack of professionalism. The specific issue of the cases wasn't meant. Especially not when you're punctual, have decent gear, clear cases away etc. etc.
No offence intended 😊

I`m lucky with my current band, the others take resposibilty for their own gear, are always on time, always look the part, never drink before a gig and always give 100% irrespective of the size of the crowd. In addition, the singer/guitarist does all the artwork, on-line media, and setting up the gigs. The drummer handles all the merch sales, both at gigs - his missus does the sales bit when we`re playing - and online. I print the set-lists.

They`re very nice set-lists............

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1464889295' post='3063597']
Aaah, that changes everything. Maybe I should have been more specific. All the other attributes you mention (being punctual, decent gear etc.) are, in my experience, abscent from those drummers without cases. Those I've run into without cases were slovenly in all other departments, which contributed to an all-round lack of professionalism. The specific issue of the cases wasn't meant. Especially not when you're punctual, have decent gear, clear cases away etc. etc.
No offence intended
[/quote]

Not offended at all! I was genuinely interested, as these guys obviously know I'm always on time etc. and yet still demand I use cases. It seems totally irrational to me, but 2 members of this band are quite insistent on this point, and I'm pretty sure they're not [i]totally[/i] insane

Sadly Pro's don't always have a pro attitude themselves.

Towards the end Thin Lizzy never knew if Lynott was going to turn up or not.

At the end of the Motown era James Jamerson was starting to be dropped by producers in favour of Bob Babbitt and the other guys because of his attitude and no shows.

If you can't resolve problems with a band member you can always show them the door. It get more complicated when they are band leaders or a "lynch pin" in the band, or mates with the manager.

Tidiness wouldn't be high on my list of reasons to fire someone, but badly printed set lists is.