Why become a member? ×

Stingray Experts!

Funky Dunky

I love this bass. I want it. The Facebook moderator for MM tells me ir's Cherry Red, but googling Cherry Red yields a bass of a sunburst colour. There's a Black Cherry Burst on the MM site, but it's significantly darker than this. Also, it looks like it has a carved top, or is contoured in some way and aren't Rays usually flat?

Can't find anything that looks remotely like it on the MM site, and Cherry Red isn't an option among the colours on any of the Rays.

Can anyone help identify this sexy beast?

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1464713744' post='3061747']
I love this bass. I want it. The Facebook moderator for MM tells me ir's Cherry Red, but googling Cherry Red yields a bass of a sunburst colour. There's a Black Cherry Burst on the MM site, but it's significantly darker than this. Also, it looks like it has a carved top, or is contoured in some way and aren't Rays usually flat?

Can't find anything that looks remotely like it on the MM site, and Cherry Red isn't an option among the colours on any of the Rays.

Can anyone help identify this sexy beast?
[/quote]

Dunno about the sexy beast but the bass looks like trans red to me. Candy red's another possibility. Stingrays have belly and forearm contours unless they are the Classic model (2009-2010 to date) or pre Ernie Ball (1976 to 82-83) or US built Sub (2003-2006 ish). All of those have slab bodies.

That bass is a standard SR4 with 3 band EQ. There was a trans red for sale in the classifieds recently - not sure if it has been sold.

Edited by drTStingray

It's a discontinued (bass) colour but they crop up used for around £750. A lot of trans red Rays (particularly 1980s/90s) have alder bodies which are said to produce a mellower tone than the ash bodied ones. If you're on about the person, there are several young ladies who play Stingrays - I think one is a BGM writer.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1464714819' post='3061770']
No no, I'm all about that bass.

I have to have it, in that colour.
[/quote]

Be aware there seem to be two different versions of that colour - that looks like the darker version to me - you can usually tell from the for sale pics though.

And this one is trans red I think .....i'd put my money on it being this colour and the photo saturation being quite altered
Early versions were a bit lighter, the later ones apparently were darker.

heres an example from this site
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/268516-musicman-stingray-92-94-trans-red-price-drop-l750-sold/"]http://basschat.co.u...drop-l750-sold/[/url]

and heres a useful site
[url="http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-basses/11316-what-colour-ernie-ball-music-man-bass-finishes-guide.html"]http://forums.ernieb...shes-guide.html[/url]

Edited by Mudpup

I have a trans red (3eq) for sale on here (don't know how to insert link) and it's not as bright in colour as the pic you posted. However, a photo taken in my back yard is going to be different to one taken in a studio under artificial lighting.
Jack

They've recently retired a load of colour options.

From memory the only colours available at the moment are sunburst, natural, white and two different blacks, although it's entirely possible I'm wrong on that.

Unfortunately not, the more exotic colours were not selling, apart from to weirdos like me (who happens to love a nice sunburst/tort/rosewood Ray, but also likes the more exotic colours like Tangerine Pearl).

They have streamlined the bass side massively. Despite the Ray and Ray 5 still being no doubt one of the top selling bass guitars (I imagine the Ray 5 is still almost an industry standard for a 5 string), guitars sell MUCH better. Why? Because it is definitely a more popular instrument.

Whilst they probably don't want or don't need to have an artist bass, I think they SHOULD consider a Ray 4 and 5 in the spirit of say Flea. I'm sure he would switch to all Musicman if they did a really interesting Ray for him. Active passive switch, mutes, modern contours, new Flea pre-amp (lotssss of sizzle), maybe a roasted neck for stability, ebony board, and some outrageous colours.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1464861869' post='3063194']

Yeah, these days it's nearly, "Fender" levels of choice.
[/quote]

I corrected it for you 😏 Musicman were, colour choice wise and from a number of other angles, on a par with the Fender Custom Shop. They've dropped back a bit in colour choice but still offer vastly more than some.

As I said, trans red is a discontinued colour (probably 7 yrs ago along with trans teal and others) so you're looking at used only.

Tangerine pearl is still available on a Bongo - don't I know it - I was thinking of buying a new one in chilli red then I saw a tango pearl one, so I have gone from decided to confused. You could have chilli red on a Ray also.

Hiram K, those NAMM 100 basses are stunning - a modern day Cutlass 1 bass, with the advantage of a truss rod.

Regarding the relative popularity of guitars to basses, you only have to go into one of the big retailers to see the relative proportion of guitars to basses on sale. I visited one in the south west a while back and was astonished at the walls of Gibson and Fender guitars - rather less so with the bass selection (and a far cry from a visit to the same place 10 yrs ago when there were far more basses and relatively fewer guitars).

Edited by drTStingray

With regard to Flea and MusicMan - what actually happened there? Did Modulus approach him? Was there a falling out with EBMM? Or was it something as simple as a weight issue as he got older? I was really disappointed when he switched, the Stingray sound was a huge part of the Chilis' sound and for me, it kinda coincided with the decline in the band's music.

I understand Flea started using Wals in the studio, round about the time of Californication, too - is that right?

Flea is the bassist I associate with the Stingray more than any other, even Bernard, and while he obviously doesn't consider my opinion when he's choosing an instrument, I really am not a fan of the Modulus sound - I feel that, by comparison, it lacks the weight and the grunt of the Ray and sounds almost tinny and light by comparison.

I do think he should go back to EBMM, and if anyone has done anything for sales of the Ray since the early 1990s, it's Flea, and he should have a signature model. In an age where Fender give Mark freakin' Hoppus a signature model, surely there should be a Ray designed by Flea to Flea's specifications?