Sign in to follow this  
gareth

Playing for Nowt?

No, no - we're prepared to travel. At least we were, but it was quite a while ago when Steve suggested it. I'm sure that he'd still be able to be persuaded: after all, an all singing all dancing band comprised of the pick of the pros from your extensive contact list playing songs that everyone wants to hear in a venue that values great talent and is set up to deliver the definitive live music experience is well worth travelling for. We'd even buy tickets - no need to put us on the guest list. And I'm sure we could rake up a few more too - Kent is not[u] that [/u]far away, after all. As long as we're not gigging that night for what in your circles is an insignificant amount of money, I'm sure we'd be as keen as mustard. Just PM me your gig list for next year and we'll see what we can do.

You could go and watch his old band that 'reformed' with the same website,name,pictures,gig venues etc minus JTUK?
http://www.thecrossfire.net

Edit-link to one of my bands, dont want to be a hypocrite
https://en-gb.facebook.com/LegacyLichfield/

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I'm finding the Band Fee thread interesting. That often quoted £250 isn't much in evidence.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1481325830' post='3191615']

But they are buying what I and lots of others like me are selling - at our price point. The fact that my band and lots more like it are busy enough proves it. It might not be your bag, but that's OK with us, because we don't want to do what you do. However, you don't feel that there is enough of a market for you doing what you do at the price point you want, so your "solution" is to regulate things so we can't do what we do at the price point we do it, so that the only option is folks like you at your end of the market. And I think that's just wrong on many levels. As others have said, if you really are [u]that[/u] good you should have no difficulty picking up enough well paid work not to have to worry about us. The truth, however, may be that you think you deserve better paid gigs or more of them than you can get, and are simply looking for someone to blame: "it's all because those pesky weekenders are spoiling my market with their gigs at the Dog and Duck. If it wasn't for them, all those people would be only too happy to fork out £15.00 a ticket to come and see us at the megabar in town and we could play there every week and earn great money" One word, slightly old fashioned but it fits, Poppycock.
[/quote]

His band and many bands can be quite good.

However, some very good bands find out too late there is no market for gigs for the genre of music they play.

Blue

Blur

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1481495461' post='3192750']
I'm finding the Band Fee thread interesting. That often quoted £250 isn't much in evidence.
[/quote]
You're obviously reading a different thread to me - most people are talking about a standard pub fee in most parts of the country being £200 to £250

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481485159' post='3192645']
You could go and watch his old band that 'reformed' with the same website,name,pictures,gig venues etc minus JTUK?
[/quote]

Like all bands, the original line up was the best.

http://youtu.be/LOk3FfYmMxU

WARNING - Has flashing lights - risk of seizures.

(Rumour has it, they got paid 2k that night. Each. And the lighting guy on the faders spent his share on speed)

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1481497803' post='3192776']

You're obviously reading a different thread to me - most people are talking about a standard pub fee in most parts of the country being £200 to £250
[/quote]

Well, is £200-£250 usually £250? Or is it less than £250? £250 seems the top end of what they're getting.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1481495461' post='3192750']
[/quote]

Some people will pay for free or less remember.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1481497900' post='3192778']
Like all bands, the original line up was the best.

[media]http://youtu.be/LOk3FfYmMxU[/media]

WARNING - Has flashing lights - risk of seizures.
[/quote]

Love the floppy hat, 3/4 length shorts and sandals look - now that's what I call rock and roll.

I think it depends on what you mean by 'Nowt'. There is more than one reason / motivation to play a gig. I don't play in a function band or a Saturday night covers band (although I have done both). Our audience isn't a drinking crowd and playing pubs for us is usually a compromise. As for playing for two hours... if you're doing originals and aren't well known, I'd question how many people want you play for that long even if you're really good. It's just too much new information. I'd always rather play with a couple of other bands, doing something complimentary and everyone do 30 - 40 mins. I must have been to hundreds of DIY gigs like this. Our material is pretty unique and I've never met another band who sound like us - although I guess we'd probably fit on a folk/world stage at a festival near you - so our aim is to connect with and build an audience at this point. If we find the right place to play, then the gig isn't wasted. Sometimes this means playing for little or no money, but if we play to the right people or if other bands or organisers who we want to play with in future are involved then we aren't playing for 'Nowt', . Gigs like this fall somewhere between freebies, dress rehearsals and auditions, but we are doing them for some sort of gain. The worst scenario for us is an empty or disinterested room. Although if anyone wants to pay us the mythical £250 to play an empty room, we will definitely do it.

My, my, someone spends way WAY too much time on the internet trying to track people down. I know you said it took you hours in another thread.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1481529992' post='3192872']

Love the floppy hat, 3/4 length shorts and sandals look - now that's what I call rock and roll.
[/quote]

He's taken the weather with him. Though it's probably weather from Jupiter judging by the lightning storm that seems to be raging during this performance.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1481546079' post='3193085']
My, my, someone spends way WAY too much time on the internet trying to track people down. I know you said it took you hours in another thread.
[/quote]

I suppose of all the hard work has already been put in it would be a shame to waste it? It's all on file now for future reference by the looks of things :)

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1481480025' post='3192597']
No, no - we're prepared to travel. At least we were, but it was quite a while ago when Steve suggested it. I'm sure that he'd still be able to be persuaded: after all, an all singing all dancing band comprised of the pick of the pros from your extensive contact list playing songs that everyone wants to hear in a venue that values great talent and is set up to deliver the definitive live music experience is well worth travelling for. We'd even buy tickets - no need to put us on the guest list. And I'm sure we could rake up a few more too - Kent is not[u] that [/u]far away, after all. As long as we're not gigging that night for what in your circles is an insignificant amount of money, I'm sure we'd be as keen as mustard. Just PM me your gig list for next year and we'll see what we can do.
[/quote]

You're first on the list of invites, of course Send me your details,

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1481546094' post='3193086']
He's taken the weather with him. Though it's probably weather from Jupiter judging by the lightning storm that seems to be raging during this performance.
[/quote]

:lol: :party: :tatice_03:

Looks like if JTUK were to put his All Stars together, he's got a readymade audience from BC alone! Lets make this happen - I can drive the minibus.

Agreeing to a free gig , doesn't mean you have to accept being used.

A few years back a keys player we had was a teacher in a private school (yes f course he can read :) ) , and he asked if some of us could make up a band for a charity black tie function there . Of course we agreed as we liked our band mate , it was £80 a ticket so we thought we'd get together in the week to do starts and stops etc and make it slick.

Friday night was a dress rehearsal and there where dancers , catwalks and things to co-ordinate with the band , everyone was up to speed and it was fairly impressive for the short time involved.

The organisers like us and immediately asked for more numbers , some we didn't know so we agreed to come prepared the next day, we where committed and made sure , despite the next day being Saturday and most of us doing kids sports and family stuff.

Come the evening , we set up and then got told about all the number that had been cut during the day as plans had altered, we all looked at the keys player , it's his school ,his job his call, "let's leave" he said !

We where squeezing our gear out of the door as the fee payers in thier dresses and tuxedos where coming in

It was for charity , maybe we should have stayed , maybe we never should have agreed in the first place, but it was the point of contacts call

Edited by lojo

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1481579029' post='3193494']
Looks like if JTUK were to put his All Stars together, he's got a readymade audience from BC alone! Lets make this happen - I can drive the minibus.
[/quote]

Bearing in mind the quality of the band and the venue, I'm expecting to arrive by helicopter. Anything less would be rude.

(Or come to think of it, flying pig might be more appropriate)

Edited by phil.c60

[/quote]

Minibus? I'm thinking a fleet of double deckers!

Knebworth would be the obvious venue and plenty of helicopter landing space as Phil pointed out?

[/quote]

I'm up for this. Ironically, I gave serious thought to going to the world renowned rock venue that is "The Tickled Trout." It wasn't impossible to get to for me, but in the end, I had scheduling conflicts. Let us know and the diary will be cleared.