Why become a member? ×

Best Bass at £600 - £900?

Schnozzalee

I've been out of bass playing for a while now, as I switched to guitars around 4 years ago.

I wanted to ask what you feel the best quality bass is between £600 and £900? Used to get all sorts for £650.

The reason I ask is because every time I spot something that I feel is a good deal, I see something a lot better for £100 extra...So my radar's out of touch.

I had a Marleaux Consat and a Bravewood Precision before I changed and I was very happy with these, but I couldn't get a band together at the time.

So what's out there nowadays??

(All input appreciated)

So many good basses in that price point from Yamaha, Fender, Ibanez and more recently Maruszcyk (I think that's right) I'd probably get a custom from Maruszcyk or a couple of Classic Vibe Squires if I needed more than one and have some change left over

That is a massive price range and you can probably buy most things you want 2nd hand. Define what you want and start there (look at new values of £1000-£1800 as indicators).

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1464689163' post='3061377']
Warwicks aren't popular at the minute.
Some of the prices i've seen some German made ones go for are ridiculous.
[/quote]

I sold my Korean Pro Series for £350 recently - which I think was quite a result considering the Germans go for about that.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1464693099' post='3061428']
That is a massive price range and you can probably buy most things you want 2nd hand. Define what you want and start there (look at new values of £1000-£1800 as indicators).

I sold my Korean Pro Series for £350 recently - which I think was quite a result considering the Germans go for about that.
[/quote]

Yeh, i'd say you did well there!

Schnozalee - i often see custom builds in the for sale section, that probably cost a few thousand to build, but because they aren't known brands they end up being sold on for dirt cheap.
If i could get to try them before buying them, i'd be looking here. Some real bargains to be had

Something like
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285621-fs-patrick-eggle-5-string-one-off-gorgeous/

or
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285888-fsft-jim-fleeting-custom/

There are plenty of bargains in there. Just to note, i have nothing to do with the 2 basses i have mentioned

Edited by FuNkShUi

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1464693978' post='3061439']
Well, my ideal score would be something like a 2nd hand Overwater (or a Shuker), but there's not many going and this is going to take a bit more saving up:

I like G&L, Yamaha and Warwick as 'Mainstream' Brands.
[/quote]

I love that, what model is it?

Thing is, the "best bass" is completely and utterly subjective, I would recommend that you take yourself off to a number of your local (and looking at your location, not so local) music shops, and try a shed load of basses out, both new & "pre-owned". Look at stuff on the internet, but try them out in a shop first.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1464689163' post='3061377']
Warwicks aren't popular at the minute.
Some of the prices i've seen some German made ones go for are ridiculous.
[/quote]

Agree, cheap as chips and bargain basement value As stated earlier, for the money you are looking at you will have far too much choice. I have the same problems buying toothpaste and a toothbrush these days - am overwhelmed by choices.

Looking at the tribute bass, get a Gibson SG bass (also 'cheap as chips' since they seem unpopular) and have the additional pickups fitted. I am finding my SG bass the one that gets most use these days.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1464729791' post='3062019']
Thing is, the "best bass" is completely and utterly subjective, I would recommend that you take yourself off to a number of your local (and looking at your location, not so local) music shops, and try a shed load of basses out, both new & "pre-owned". Look at stuff on the internet, but try them out in a shop first.
[/quote]

Good advice. If I were recommending a best bass it would be a Precision as that`s what works best for me, but whenever I hear someone play a Stingray I love it. They don`t work for me though, so how could I recommend a bass that I love the sound of, yet which sounds pony when I play it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1464732315' post='3062075']
Good advice. If I were recommending a best bass it would be a Precision as that`s what works best for me, but whenever I hear someone play a Stingray I love it. They don`t work for me though, so how could I recommend a bass that I love the sound of, yet which sounds pony when I play it.
[/quote]

Haha - Yeah I get this and I tend to like a Precision or a Double Soapbar Bass in my hands and I can play either 32" or 34" scales, so that counts out a lot of 5'ers.

I'll have to have a think - Thanks guys :)

Shameless plug but my custom Jim Fleeting is for sale and in my opinion is a great bass.
Of course if a bass is better than another is always up for debate. It is an excellent instrument and a proper custom hand built bass not a cnc machined part in sight (not including hardware etc), if true hand made is your thing.
Not that there is anything wrong with mass made or cnc machined. There's certainly a bit more magic in it though.

Im selling it to part fund a Rick 4003 so what do I know, because the 4003 isn't as good an instrument in many ways.

I bought a G&L L2000 Tribute unseen off the back of magazine reviews and BC recommendations.

Great bass, really well made, nice action, great neck etc., etc. but sonically, just couldn't get it to sound "right" for me. The last Fender Jazz I owned, great player, well made, just didn't "feel" right or sound right for me. I'm currently GAS-ing for a German built, long scale Warwick Star Bass, but without trying one first, I am certainly not going to part with any cash.

If I were to make a recommendation on "best bass", I'd say a Rickenbacker (or a RickenFaker), but I know for a fact that they aren't for everyone.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1464815138' post='3062914']
I'm currently GAS-ing for a German built, long scale Warwick Star Bass, but without trying one first, I am certainly not going to part with any cash.

[/quote]

I tried a Korean one at a bass bash, and although it sounded great and had a nice neck, I found the hanging position (short horn so the body is further to the left) too much of a reach* to be comfortable. I suppose this would apply to any bass with a short upper horn.

*a five string might have been better, as I tend to play more around the fifth-seventh frets on a fiver.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1464686651' post='3061356']
So many good basses in that price point from Yamaha, Fender, Ibanez and more recently Maruszcyk (I think that's right) I'd probably get a custom from Maruszcyk or a couple of Classic Vibe Squires if I needed more than one and have some change left over
[/quote]

You'd have to know whay you wanted from a bass, and you'd really need to be a fender guy, but I'd check out Maruszcyk for a little over your top budget.

What do you want your bass to sound like? What style of music do you predominantly play? How versatile does it need to be? How big are your hands? Answering these questions will narrow down your options some, and you will be left with an easier choice. You may find the right bass for YOU can be had for £400-£500 and you can spend the rest on sweeties!

Having played bass for about 45 years and played most things out there I now exclusively (well I own three of them) play USA Precision Deluxe basses. These are P/J basses that do everything I could ask. Active/passive. great fast neck. Easy to tweak tone on stage. The best ones were made after 2011 and recently discontinued. Should find a nice used one at about £800.