Why become a member? ×

Best mid range leads

SwamiRob

I've bought a few from various places, I'll say to avoid the EBS ones as they don't seem very roadworthy - I bought 10 and 2 were faulty on arrival and another one has become iffy since.

The best ones I've tried personally are the Sommer Spirit XS ones from here: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?bf=&sw=patch+cables"]http://www.thomann.d...sw=patch+cables[/url] (plenty of cheap options in here too)

Edited by dannybuoy

I used to buy all the components and make up my own leads, because I had my own home studio and required cable runs of very specific lengths and often different connectors wired in very particular ways at each end of the cable.

However when I need some more basic jack-to-jack leads for my new bass rig 6 years ago, I ordered them from OBBM. I could have probably made my own for slightly less money, but certainly not once I figured in the cost of my time to do it. All these leads are still functioning as perfectly as the day I received them.

They most definitely last longer than any of the shop-bought leads I've owned.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1465286795' post='3066706']
I used to buy all the components and make up my own leads, because I had my own home studio and required cable runs of very specific lengths and often different connectors wired in very particular ways at each end of the cable.

However when I need some more basic jack-to-jack leads for my new bass rig 6 years ago, I ordered them from OBBM. I could have probably made my own for slightly less money, but certainly not once I figured in the cost of my time to do it. All these leads are still functioning as perfectly as the day I received them.

They most definitely last longer than any of the shop-bought leads I've owned.
[/quote]
This.

And the "singerproof XLR" he made for me, is still going.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1465288147' post='3066718']

And the "singerproof XLR" he made for me, is still going.
[/quote]

That's nice to hear. I'd often wondered if she'd managed to destroy it yet.

Just another shout out for OBBM!

Have ordered a variety of leads from Dave over the last year, all still going strong.

On the subject of planet waves, I've never had one of their cables that didn't break! It's quite pathetic really, this includes their cheap and more expensive options. The only good thing they do are the cable ties!

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1465288807' post='3066724']
That's nice to hear. I'd often wondered if she'd managed to destroy it yet.
[/quote]

Quite impressive given the fact that at one point she seemed to be getting through an XLR a gig... Just shows you that the mass produced soldering options are not always economically a sound choice! Spend a bit extra for a hand soldered quality lead people!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1465297040' post='3066839']
I remain unconvinced about buying cables designed for the mid range.

What if you prefer a scooped tone?

:mellow:
[/quote]

That's easy Jack, it's just a matter of not connecting the strands in the central conductor that carry the mids. ;)

[quote name='dannelson' timestamp='1465291466' post='3066752']

Have ordered a variety of leads from Dave over the last year, all still going strong.

On the subject of planet waves, I've never had one of their cables that didn't break! It's quite pathetic really, this includes their cheap and more expensive options. The only good thing they do are the cable ties!
[/quote]

IME the screen on most store-bought leads is the minimum that the manufacturer thinks they can get away with. Generally it will be a loosely woven wrap. Unsurprisingly this will be the bit that fails not matter how carefully you coil your leads after use.

• 2 years later...
On 07/06/2016 at 10:24, dannelson said:

That’s a real shame. I too had to contact @Daddario_Uk regarding my first cable failure. It had been used every day for 10 years and I later discovered it was on stage with me in 2000! I have piles of cables all from D’Addario / Planet Waves too. Gosh, I hope all mine don’t go the same way 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I am of course joshing you. Sorry to hear you’ve encountered such problems. How are you storing them?

@D’AddarioUK

5 hours ago, Jack said:

Please explain what this is so I can buy one?

OBBM made a star quad XLR and the way that he wires and does the heat shrink makes the solder connections particularly strong. There’s no pressure on any of the solder tags at all. The singer at the time used to wrap the cord around her hand, use it to pick up the mic, swing it round, everything... and that cable is still going strong even with all the abuse it got. Up until that point, she was literally killing a cable every gig.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

OBBM made a star quad XLR and the way that he wires and does the heat shrink makes the solder connections particularly strong. There’s no pressure on any of the solder tags at all. The singer at the time used to wrap the cord around her hand, use it to pick up the mic, swing it round, everything... and that cable is still going strong even with all the abuse it got. Up until that point, she was literally killing a cable every gig.

Thanks man, I'lll have to get our singer on to it. I have several OBBM leads already, mostly oddballs like wireless cables and at least one short TRS>XLR. I tend to make my own longer cables, but they're never as good, I should upgrade really.

Can anyone point me to the correct heat shrink for standard xlr and jack cables please? I need to mark my own in a better way than using blue cable ties. Can you get any heat shrink that's big enough to fit over the (connected) connector or do you have to disassemble the cable?

Edited by Jack

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Thanks man, I'lll have to get our singer on to it. I have several OBBM leads already, mostly oddballs like wireless cables and at least one short TRS>XLR. I tend to make my own longer cables, but they're never as good, I should upgrade really.

Can anyone point me to the correct heat shrink for standard xlr and jack cables please? I need to mark my own in a better way than using blue cable ties. Can you get any heat shrink that's big enough to fit over the (connected) connector or do you have to disassemble the cable?

OBBM shared the technique he uses for soldering and every cable I have made myself remains reliable. I haven't really had the need to the solder any cables of late... but I have always gone to OBBM for wireless cables... just because given the amount of soldering that he has done in his life time, is probably a lot better at soldering mini jacks and xlrs than I am! In short, his cable are made great... and properly - in a manner that can't be replicated by machine. And thats why it's worth paying for OBBM cables!

Coloured electrical tape good if you have the ends already soldered on and don't want to desolder anything.

• Like 1