Why become a member? ×

Has anyone else?

Fisheth

I went down to 2 last year, which felt good for a while. Back up to 4 now, which has been my self impossed limit for about 5 years now. I like having the ability to enjoy different tones and styles. I have two with flats, two with rounds.

I don't miss the ones I sold, they felt more like tools than keepers and were fun to own but not regretful to sell, just easily replaceable bits of wood aren't they really?

In all my years of playing my Lull is the only one that ever felt like a true keeper. The rest are just useful, until they are not! :)

Years ago, when I was short of money, I sold my lovely Hohner Jack to a friend for £75. I really regret it now as it was a super bass. I tried to buy one a few years ago on eBay but the sale fell through. It only reached £180 which is a really good price as well so it irks me even more that they go for so much now. Don't think I could justify a replacement at the moment.

About 10 years ago, again short for money, and frustrated at my lack of progress with it, I sold an Aria Pro II Cat fretless to a friend for £100 (much better) but I'm now regretting this as well as I'm wanting to try fretless again. Neither bass has really been replaced, but my Fender MIA jazz does pretty well tick all my fretted bass boxes so I can't complain. Still looking out for something to scratch that fretless itch, though, but I think I might go for fret lines instead of a plain neck this time ...

I like only having one gigging bass. It's been that way for over a year now. No deciding which to take, no more cases cluttering up the spare room. Don't get me wrong, it is fun having different instruments to play with. But, i do enjoy just having one bass that I know inside out and that gets well used.

I've owned 7 instruments at once, but now I currently have 2 and would like to make it 3.

I've cut back opting for quality and I'm happier now that I can't pick out issues, or things that need upgraded etc and I get on with my playing.

You can try and get lucky with the budget thing, or blow £2k+, but I think that £1.5k mark is as good as it gets from a practical point of view - 1 or 2 of those and you're set for life.

[quote name='FelixGubbins' timestamp='1464550862' post='3060288']
Years ago, when I was short of money, I sold my lovely Hohner Jack to a friend for £75. I really regret it now as it was a super bass. I tried to buy one a few years ago on eBay but the sale fell through. It only reached £180 which is a really good price as well so it irks me even more that they go for so much now. Don't think I could justify a replacement at the moment.
[/quote]

Hohner jacks regularly on gumtree at silly low prices. My wife has told me I am not allowed to buy a load there to sell on eBay at a profit :(

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1464558683' post='3060375']
I've owned 7 instruments at once, but now I currently have 2 and would like to make it 3.

I've cut back opting for quality and I'm happier now that I can't pick out issues, or things that need upgraded etc and I get on with my playing.

You can try and get lucky with the budget thing, or blow £2k+, but I think that £1.5k mark is as good as it gets from a practical point of view - 1 or 2 of those and you're set for life.
[/quote]

Currently sitting on over ten or so instruments. Which to be honest is eating up my room space. Especially the cases, but there's some for sentimental value I'll never get rid of, you know?

I've gone from 6, to 4, to 5. I like having enough that I sometimes forget I have one and it feels like NBD if it's been a while since I played it.

I downsized from 6 as 3 were effectively so low in the pecking order I might as well not have them, so wanted to release some capital. So sold 2 of them with the mind that one of those 3 i'd want again some day (and I did). A 5th instrument was not by choice, but as a gift so no guilt.

I've gone through about 25 instrument in the past 14 years, it has been an expensive but fun journey through many different types of basses until I found out what it is I generally get on with. Every one I have sold has had a good reason for me not using it, and I am sure my acquisitions will slow down a lot now I have such a versatile range I can do anything with. There is nothing I don't love and I can't think of anything i'd swap them for (price relative).

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1464780919' post='3062414']
I've gone through about 25 instrument in the past 14 years, it has been an expensive but fun journey through many different types of basses until I found out what it is I generally get on with. Every one I have sold has had a good reason for me not using it, and I am sure my acquisitions will slow down a lot now I have such a versatile range I can do anything with. There is nothing I don't love and I can't think of anything i'd swap them for (price relative).
[/quote]

Same boat, there's a couple that I really love in my bass arsenal. But there's also a couple that I don't use due to needing repairs or just not sounding as good, but they're good work horses, you know? I think I'm on seven basses or so now? So many guitars, but I might get rid of a couple at some point and go for a high end ESP or something.

I had 3 basses.. but basicly only used 1... so i sold all of them, analyse the best of each one, and had a custom built... simple, and suit for everything (for now).
But plan in a future add other.. for now.. already choosed.. for a specific type, with 1/2 step down... rock/metal covers... a Dingwall NG2.
And the Marusczzyk sut everything else, on standard tuning
So, for me, 2 will be enough. :D

What is this "down-sizing" of which you speak?

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20CURRENT/General%20View%203_zpsnemdrfq5.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Basses%20CURRENT/General%20View%203_zpsnemdrfq5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Down to 3 now and very, very happy with them. My Precision is a bass I hardly use just because I am a firm 5 string user but, it has way too much sentimental value so I'll never get rid of it. My other 2 are used ALL the time for live and in the studio. Very different basses but perfect in every way, for me. I love having my go to basses and know that whatever situation I am in, they perform beautifully and feel like home. A good feeling plus, my GAS has all but disappeared. No regrets about selling any of my past basses, I was meant to end up with these 3 :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1464788290' post='3062541']
What is this "down-sizing" of which you speak?

[url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20CURRENT/General%20View%203_zpsnemdrfq5.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Now that's a collection I can get behind!

Yes! I sold my fretted/fretless pair of Wals at the start of a long sabbatical from playing :facepalm: . Now - after joining Basschat about five years ago and contracting [b]that [/b]much-discussed ailment - I'm back to the total of too-many. Ideally I'd get it down to three - fretted-with-flats. fretted-with-rounds, and fretless, but the pesky question of four or five strings keeps the total up...

I kept myself to two basses for so many years - probably close to ten years, in fact. Then a couple of years ago, I somehow ended up with four - granted, one was disassembled for a refurb, and one was still being built, but it wasn't long until they they were four fully-functioning four-strings. A couple of years, and chance encounters down the line, and then there were seven.

I often feel like perhaps I should try and move one or two of them on...but there are none I actually want rid of!