Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass tone settings

interpol52

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1464819484' post='3062969']
Usually I leave the tone wide open and use a low-pass filter pedal instead of the tone pot.
[/quote]

Can I derail a little please? What low-pass filter do you use?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1464855006' post='3063111']
A number of folks here are saying they use both volumes on full. I've found that this gives lower output than if you back one volume off a little. Am I missing something?
[/quote]
No you're not, I've found the same. :)

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1464874574' post='3063382']
All up full and then roll back the bridge vol whilst playing a note until the sound thickens - usually only takes a smidge.Classic Jazz Bass sound
[/quote]

So is it best to roll off a smidge of volume on just one pick up then? I tend to roll off a smidge on both because I had read somewhere that that was best. I will try it later and see.

Two settings (on my VB99 Jazz bass model)

[i]One - full both pickups, limiter, ampeg 810, bright off, ultra low+high on, centre mic, 50% DI[/i] - Marcus Miller slap sound (actually a copy of David Barard's sound from Dr. John)

T[i]wo - Rear pickup only, limiter, Acoustic 360, Bright off, mid boost, 1x18 speaker, mic 1cm away from centre, 20% DI mix, flatwound string model[/i] - Burpy tight funk sound ala Me'shell

Took me months to get these nailed but I'm so happy with them

Usually everything on full, but for some songs where I want a P bass sound but can't be @rsed changing basses I have the neck on full and bridge fully off.

Yes, there is a drop in perceived volume with both pickups on full (due to comb-filtering or some such thing IIRC) but I just like that tone best! :)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1464575290' post='3060428']
Everything on full, then EQ from your amp. Whats the point in making it sound like a P Bass. ?
[/quote]

Because sometimes you only want/need that P bass sound for one song and changing basses mid-set is a pain in the @rse? :rolleyes: :lol:

For me it's both pups at 100% -- I like my J to sound like one :) -- and tone at 100% if it's passive. On an active, it's a whole different ballgame re: tone, but the pups stay the same. Although for rock tunes I dial back a bit on the bridge to get a ballsier more P-like sound. Most of my tonal variation between songs comes from different patches on my Pod XT Live.

Hi all,

I find the tone control on my jazz bass does very little. Darkens the sound ever so slightly. Should it be doing more?

Its a passive Amercian standard Jazz 2008 strung with laBella flat wounds. Perhaps with brighter strings I would notice a bigger difference in tone control position, though I can't remember it doing a lot more when I had Fender 8250M strings on it...

Edited by alexpea

[quote name='alexpea' timestamp='1465555343' post='3069178']I find the tone control on my jazz bass does very little. Darkens the sound ever so slightly. Should it be doing more?

[/quote]

Try contacting [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/7835-kiogon/"]KiOgon[/url] (a member on here) and ask about one of his wiring looms. They can really make a big difference :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1465563253' post='3069302']
Who cares!

No-one is listening to you!
[/quote]

I don't think this should be true.... If you aren't talking to people, they might not notice you so the goal should be that you ARE
'talking' to people.