Why become a member? ×

Dilemma

Pete Academy

I have a lovely all-original 1978 Jazz, plays like a dream, fantastic sound. However, it weighs a bloody ton - the heaviest bass I've ever known. I gigged with it last Saturday, and with the help of a Comfort Strap, it wasn't too bad. But the next day I really felt it, my muscles really aching.

A mate of mine has a mid- to late-80s Stingray, which I've always liked, and he's asked me about doing a swap. I have to admit I'm tempted. I would probably need about 400 cash plus his bass.

I know my bass is more if an investment, but I'm not getting any younger. Should I ask for a deal or just suffer the weight?

If you want an investment, get an ISA. If you want a bass get one you like and can LIVE and play. Instruments MIGHT become a good investment, but wrecking your back in the process doesn't make good sense to me

There are lighter Fenders than that it would seem, if you need to have a Fender at all.

Why don't you do a temporary swap for a pre-determined time and see how you both get on with the basses? Then no-one is committing themselves and you can largely avoid any seller's (or buyer's) remorse. If either (or both) of you aren't convinced then you can swap back and no harm done.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1464292376' post='3058281']
I have a lovely all-original 1978 Jazz, plays like a dream, fantastic sound. However, it weighs a bloody ton - the heaviest bass I've ever known. I gigged with it last Saturday, and with the help of a Comfort Strap, it wasn't too bad. But the next day I really felt it, my muscles really aching.

A mate of mine has a mid- to late-80s Stingray, which I've always liked, and he's asked me about doing a swap. I have to admit I'm tempted. I would probably need about 400 cash plus his bass.

I know my bass is more if an investment, but I'm not getting any younger. Should I ask for a deal or just suffer the weight?
[/quote]

Some of those 70s Fenders weren't all they were cracked up to be. I know, I was there.

The 80s stingray sounds pretty cool, I'd negotiate a better deal though.

Blue

Edited by blue

[url="http://www.gruvgear.com/duostrap-signature"]http://www.gruvgear....strap-signature[/url]

Get yourself a harness type strap like this one, to help spread the weight.

I have seen them at a cheaper price than this.

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1464295382' post='3058308']
[url="http://www.gruvgear.com/duostrap-signature"]http://www.gruvgear....strap-signature[/url]

Get yourself a harness type strap like this one, to help spread the weight.

I have seen them at a cheaper price than this.
[/quote]
probably very useful but terribly uncool, reminds me of a baby harness for runaway toddlers!

Pete. You've been seriously ill and spent a lot of time in hospital. You will have lost a lot of muscle mass. You can't expect to get up and do a 3 hour gig just like that.

Ask to be referred to a physio. Get some weight bearing excersie routines.

Good luck and be patient.

Stingrays (though lovely) aren't exactly the lightest of basses either. You might like to look at the MM Sterling, as it sounds and looks like a traditional 'Ray, but they're a bit lighter. (Personally I love the skinnier Sterling neck, but you might find it a bit of a toothpick after your Precision).

Right now late 70s Fenders are going up in value, but a lot of that is due to the fact that all the earlier basses are now stupidly expensive rather than because they are great instruments in their own right. At some point the market for Fenders from this period will reach critical mass at which point only the instruments that have everything going for them in terms of playability, tone and weight will continue to be desirable, and unfortunately the heavy instruments are going to be the hardest ones to put right to make them truly desirable.

If the Stingray suits you better, then go for it. If you can get some extra cash out of the deal at the same time go for it, because AFAICS there will come a time when the Stingray will be perceived as the more valuable instrument.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1464296007' post='3058313']
I would definitely try and get to a gym and start to try and build up some upper body strength.
[/quote]

This is a really good shout - a little bit of weight-lifting really helps & you don't have to go every hour of the day & look like the hulk in order to benefit from it, just a little time doing proper exercises.

Saying that; I wouldn't really put 70's Fenders in the investment category, you already know they're heavier than average & I don't think they'll ever realise the same value as 60's ones. So for me I think you'd be better off selling it to buy a better (lighter in this case) tool for the job. I wouldn't chose a Stingray but if you really like the tone & it is light (though I doubt it will be) then go for it so long as you're getting a decent deal.

I've never played a 70's Jazz, nor an 80's Ray. I have played a newer jazz, and have a 1993 ray 5 and I can't recommend the MM stuff enough.
I have also played heavy basses before, and I can feel the difference at the end of the night, so if the MM sound and playability suit you, I'd say jump at it.
Stingray's are awesome basses, make no mistake about it. Prepare yourself for the jump in neck size though, and take some time to adjust and really see if it works for you!

Can't wait to hear how you get on with it!!

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1464292376' post='3058281']

[/quote]
Tbf, Pete, how gig fit are you..?
I'm thinking initially, keep the jazz.
However if you think you can use a MM.... and they aren't Jazzes of course, a pre Ernie Ball should
hold money ok.

I saw a late 70's jazz recently which had lost a lot of its original bits and it was up for £1500, iirc... so make sure you value the jazz well...

I'll try and find the advert and confirm the prize/condition... but I do remember thinking...he is joking..!!

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1464295687' post='3058309']
probably very useful but terribly uncool, reminds me of a baby harness for runaway toddlers!
[/quote]

Yep... perhaps it's uncool, but it depends on your priorities. Personally, I'd rather be uncool, and not be bent over with shoulder ache/pain after maybe two hours...plus..of gigging with a heavy bass. ;)

If you really like the Jazz then beef up bro. :) If you'd said you had some chronic shoulder condition or something I'd say trade, but you don't, so keep the jazz.

I also never liked Stingrays but whatever...

I've played a lot of jazzes and can't remember any being ridiculously heavy. I had a Thumb bass for years that weighed more than a friend's Stingray 5 but it wasn't an issue gigging it and I'm hardly Arnie. I think you'll be right.

Edited by AustinArto

• 2 weeks later...