Why become a member? ×

Telecaster bass

uk_lefty

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1464346402' post='3058640']
The slab body with a humbucker has always struck me as odd. The pickup seems to me to be a copy of the monster Gibson bass humbucker as on the EB2/Rivoli and the EB0/3. They were muddy and boomy too. The slab body must be uncomfortable for long gigs, which is why Leo came up with contouring .
If you want to hear a tele bass played well and imaginatively listen to Rick Kemp in Steeleye Span. He used one for years in the late 70s/80s mainly played with a pick, although latterly he did add 2 standard Precision pick ups which looked kind of strange and resulted in an awful lot of knobs.
[/quote]
The pickup was designed by Seth Lover, who did the Gibson Humbuckers. As I explained in post above they are NOT muddy. I have never found the slab body uncomfortable; in fact I now find it uncomfortable playing contoured bodies, due to the lack of support to my forearm.

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1466889331' post='3079622']

(...) the black one had a lipstick pup. Both were originally sunburst, but I had them refinished when work was done and routing filled.
[/quote]
I'd leave the lipstick, it goes visually perfect with the bass; probably would add nice tones, too. Painting it black was a good idea, though. Pretty.
[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1466889331' post='3079622']
Whilst they're not the most versatile basses on earth, I do think that they're sometimes wrongly branded as one-dimensional. Yes, they do the whole bass-you-can-feel-in-your-chest thing well, but there are some tonal variations lurking in there.
[/quote]
As I said, tone dial and fingers/pick position makes a HUGE difference, in my opinion, much bigger than in your typical bass guitar.

• 6 years later...

My very first bass was a medium scale cream Columbus tele bass and I've had a soft spot for them ever since. Here are my current Tele basses. An original '69, which I love as it has the DNA of the very first P bas in it's design and has a great woody growl from the single coil pickup. The Japanese Paisley blue bass was my workhorse for many years tuned down a tone to D and used in a blues quartet, finished with the matching blue strings it attracted many comments!

IMG_7747.thumb.jpg.6440d190588e9338ad091998df33a8d2.jpg

IMG_7744.thumb.jpg.5b6014c12cfe594c59713253f7ce7fdb.jpg

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Wow. I've never seen a Fender Bass with the Invisible finish.

There's a bit of a story to that. I bought it with 2 humbuckers installed (and a load of other player mods that were non- standard) as you can see below. I returned it to stock but as it had had a big hole routed out in front of the bridge for the pickup, it was filled with wood, and primed. I then did a light couple of coats of aged vintage white nitro which was a bit more yellow than the original white ( which was also nitro so must have been a respray too.)

20171011_150148.thumb.jpg.e37d177757754e1b4bce1cd02d989215.jpg

• Like 1