Why become a member? ×

More Bass/Clean Blend for Overdrive Pedal

sebowden

Hello hello hello,

I bought an OCD clone a while back to use on bass, and while it sounds great, I'm just not getting the lows I would like.

I know there are blend circuits available but then I'm faced with the issue of polarity.. is there a way I can get around this?

Is there any other way of getting more bass out of my pedal? Changing caps or something? Pic of the pedals guts is up, but I can add more if needed.

By the way, there is no way I'm buying a separate looper pedal for blending!

All the best,

SB

xxx

Edited by sebowden

Firstly - tidy job there....all very neat and pro-style !

Adding bass by increasing the coupling caps can, in my experience, take you down a very mushy route - often as not I've found the tone changes a lot when you allow more bass. YMMV of course - some add component sockets to you can try different coupling caps to see which sounds best.

Polarity inversion can be performed with a single transistor stage wired as an inverting buffer (I'd try an Alembic Stratoblaster as a good simple design - I'm pretty certain it inverts...someone will be me straight if not)

HtH

Edit: One thing I've been tempted to try instead of a blend, is to ape the Boss LS-2 and rather than blending, having two volumes for the clean and effected. I've had variable results with blend circuits before.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='sebowden' timestamp='1464118085' post='3056739']
Hello hello hello,

I bought an OCD clone a while back to use on bass, and while it sounds great, I'm just not getting the lows I would like.

I know there are blend circuits available but then I'm faced with the issue of polarity.. is there a way I can get around this?

Is there any other way of getting more bass out of my pedal? Changing caps or something? Pic of the pedals guts is up, but I can add more if needed.

By the way, there is no way I'm buying a separate looper pedal for blending!

All the best,

SB

xxx
[/quote]

Mmmm...sort of depends whether you want low frequencies clean or distorted...

On polarity - do you mean problems with polarity of clean vs distorted ? as opposed to absolute polarity ?

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1464130947' post='3056881']
Mmmm...sort of depends whether you want low frequencies clean or distorted...
[/quote]

To be honest, whatever is easiest! 'Clean lows' sounds interesting.

I'm not sure regarding polarity, I'm just aware that when using blendable kits sometimes there can be polarity issues.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1464169371' post='3057061']
Boss LS-2 is by far the easiest. Good buffer in the pedal and separate volume controls for each part of the signal.
[/quote]

Really can't fit anything to be honest + also fancy the challenge!

Ideally something similar to the clean blend on my deluxe muff.

[quote name='sebowden' timestamp='1464196225' post='3057471']
I saw this, anyone got one built they want to sell?
[/quote]

Bear in mind that that circuitry will impart some colouration from the relatively simple jfet circuit. You may or may not think that a good thing ...