Why become a member? ×

Esperanza spalding. What a player, What a performer

KingPrawn

Yeah it is KP, very clever no doubt.

Its probably my dislike of theatre, I'm not a fan a musical's, or Opera and I rarely concentrate on lyrics in music. (there are exceptions of course). My wife is always prompting me as to what the song is about, and I'm like, oh yeah that really opens up a different dimension to the song. but i get pretty absorbed in the sounds of the instruments and the rhythm . I've always been the same. My Dad was the musical director for the Hastings Orchestra in New Zealand and i listened to classical since i was 3 to 10 years old. maybe thats what programmed me. Then instrumental Jazz and Funk came along.

Then again i love Gene Kelly and his singing dancing. . work that out.

I prefer this. (yes again i post this). Its just wonderful singing bass playing from her. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aRC3YY3svs[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

this Stevie Wonder cover is also fantastic. sorry to semi derail your thread KP. its certainly interesting what she's doing, and she's breaking new ground. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xbHWp1KfSE[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

I'm with Bubinga on this one. I much prefer to see her as an artist in the more traditional band environment. Such a beautiful voice and great bass player. Her latest more theatrical stuff, I dont know, something just jars a bit for me. Now I like theatre including musical theatre but here, with her singing, playing and 'acting' at the same time, it is too much going on for me. I want to listen to her sing and I want to watch her play, her technique etc. but with all the moving about as well, I cant concentrate on what is actually good about it.

• 1 year later...

Anybody else here watch the live stream of the recording of her new album? 77 hours from start to finish, with no material worked out in advance. And the topper: only 7,777 physical copies sold, with no digital distribution at all. They've already taken the live stream down and the physical copies sold out yesterday. I love everything about this, really.