Why become a member? ×

NBF AVRI63 P bass

thebuckets

After 20 odd yrs of trying many different basses passive/active 4 string 5 string sandberg yamaha squier fender Musicman etc etc I decided to go full circle and go back to my roots with a Nice P bass.

I Sold my yammie 5 string and Squier CV p bass on the forum which left me bassless!. Bobby K had bought my Yammie (its now touring with the Christians), lives not too far away, and was kind enough to loan me his bitsa P while I got sorted (cheers Bobby -top man)

I saw an AVRI 63 P bass on gumtree in Glasgow. The seller was reluctant to post, didnt have a paypal account and didn't want to give me his bank details to transfer the cash to him.

Meet half way at Carlise? sorry I don't drive was his answer

After many emails to and fro I decided to jump in with both feet and blow all my money on it! booked a return to Glasgow and went up on the train to collect.

I met the seller in central station and he was a nice guy, . He had only had the bass less that a year, bought from guitar guitar in Glasgow but had not looked after it at all. he had been jamming pedals in the case with the bass and it was dinged up with plenty of 'mojo' going on in the nitro finish. so much so that I was almost going to return home empty handed.

I felt like someone rescuing a puppy from a poor owner to give it a better life so we cut the deal, chewed the fat bass wise for half an hour and than I jumped on the train back to Liverpool. I took it home gave it a set up. Neck and pocket dates are 2015 so its only about 6 months old. plays like a dream and is nice and light. was wearing an old set of ernie ball flats and has a lovely woody thump almost upright in sound. I fitted a set of chromes to it but they were too brittle and trebley for me so I took them off and put them in the for sale section! (might give a few weeks if no one wants them as Ive heard they mellow nicely)

sounded great at rehearsals and was gigged wearing the old flats last night for the first time in the new band line up as a trio
.Wow! classic vintage P bass tones by the Bucket load (no pun intended) sat in the mix but could be heard clearly, deep without being boomy very impressed.

are they worth £1500 plus new? maybe not, are they worth the extra if your considering a USA P bass at £1220? yes I think so.

I love the nut and bolt technology of it, the big reverse tuners the BBOT threaded saddle bridge that makes string position so easy and the pick up is the best sounding P bass pick up I've tried.

That said the fender original in Bobby's bitsa sounded sweet so it shows with the right PUP and strings you DONT need to spend megabucks to get a great P tone.

I may have been put off by the dings at first but Ive grown to like them over the last fortnight, although id never have allowed the bass to get as many knocks in 6 months myself it now means I'm more relaxed and don't need to baby it. I suppose you could say I ended up with a 6 month old AVRI roadworn for less than the price of a new Mex roadworn P bass

Pics are the ones sent to me by the seller.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3WmgaM02Z49aVVGOERiSVE3YkU

Edited by thebuckets

You made the right choice :)
Beautiful 3TS sunburst.

Fine instruments : quality parts, period correct details, beautiful colors etc... I love the neck, thin and wide like the old ones.

Less expensive than a Custom Shop as you already have the Relic look. But in your case, a REAL Relic/Road Worn status :)

With Flats it is delicious.

I also stare at the Faded Blue version sometimes

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1463949792' post='3055298']
You made the right choice :)
Beautiful 3TS sunburst.

Fine instruments : quality parts, period correct details, beautiful colors etc... I love the neck, thin and wide like the old ones.

Less expensive than a Custom Shop as you already have the Relic look. But in your case, a REAL Relic/Road Worn status :)

With Flats it is delicious.

I also stare at the Faded Blue version sometimes

[/quote]
yes i too find myself drooling over the faded sonic blue, stunning

I too went back to my roots with a P bass. Mine is a roadworn P, which I bought from this forum. Its had the neck slightly "shaved" / trimmed to be a little thinner. I had a J pickup added, as I like the flexibility of a PJ.
Its wonderfully lightweight, and a joy to play. Sounds great, and it just "fits" for me

I've also gone full circle, trying all sorts of other basses. I'd even completely gone off fenders for a long time.
But now I'm back. I don't see it as time wasted, but its been a voyage of discovery, a trip on which I learned some valuable lessons. Not least that Leo did indeed get it right.....

Yes Bobby is a great guy. Met him the other week - he kindly gave me a couple of tickets to see his band playing. Doesnt surprise me that he trusted you with a loan of a bass - such a decent bloke :)

Glad you've found your ideal bass

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463951678' post='3055325']
What's an NBF? Have I missed something..?
[/quote]
Ha ha sorry new bass fortnight. Saw it on here a few weeks ago and thought it a good idea to leave my review till after my honeymoon/buyers remorse had passed and id given it a gig

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1463955111' post='3055358']
Ha ha sorry new bass fortnight. Saw it on here a few weeks ago and thought it a good idea to leave my review till after my honeymoon/buyers remorse had passed and id given it a gig
[/quote]

Good wheeze - NBF... add it to the list. ;)