Why become a member? ×

My p bass has been sent off to be reliced

Geek99

Assembled - well, not wired up and no strings . Subtle aging only on board (thanks to skol3503) and none on bridge as I want both to work properly and I always use a bridge cover

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtLmuonyj7TxrkFadgeMtNMnw7q9

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtLmuonyj7TxrkOX3cFt_eKqCThp

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtLmuonyj7TxrkKQwglkfd_u5NYq

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtLmuonyj7TxrkCDdZXOMvQDFJL5

I think that looks great personally. I know people will question how authentic the wear pattern is etc but if you look at it as a finish option or a style (which is what it should be) rather than trying to create some kind of fake vintage bass then I think it works really well.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1466002323' post='3072751']
What does one do to a bass to get wear on the inside of the upper horn both front and back? (in the normal course of wear and tear as opposed to 'relicing')
[/quote]
I don't know but Andy Baxter is listing s 1971 on eBay with
Exactly this horn wear wear : item 182191307969

Funny thing about real wear is it often defies logic, my old '65 was worn in places it shouldn't have been whilst the finish was intact in places that should have been worn. I guess if a bass has been used by one player for 30 odd years (and in the days before Basschat it did happen), the idiosyncrasies of the player could be seen in the finish: how they played it, where they kept it, even how they carried it. Martin Simms makes relics with a story (studio bass, gigging bass etc) along these very lines.

Re the bass in this thread, I think it's a bloody good job. far better than the Fender Roadworn series and most of the Custom Shop models (if you want to see poor relic work check out the Jaco relic, and that retails at over £4k). A few honest knocks from gigging will help with the bits that are still perhaps a little shiny :)

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1463923691' post='3054981']
Chap down in Norwich - asked for dull nitro 3t sunburst with lots of mojo and checking. Results will be uploaded for your viewing (dis)pleasure (delete as appropriate)
He reckons a month or so
[/quote]

you could have at least put out a complimentary [s]bucket[/s] skip load of popcorn :rolleyes:

I have pics to prove that I did a certain amount of it :)

chap in Norwich was braver and put the nitro coat on and having rubbed it down a little it looks the part , enough for me at least

I agree about the Jaco - I think the limelights are better for far less money

Edited by Geek99

Sadly not
Next OM night is end July - looking forward to it tho as I should have found time to connect electrics up and restring

The bridge cover is busy relicing in a ziplock bag I carry to work everyday - some keys in there too

Frets bridge and tuners untouched for functionality reasons

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='MarkG3' timestamp='1467537468' post='3084286']
I really like it, love worn/relic basses and guitars!
[/quote]
Thanks for the support :) maybe I should take it up professionally since I did some of it

It's probably just me, but... whenever I see the word 'reliced', my mind interprets it as 're-liced'. As in, "the previous lice have all died, so I'm sending it off to be reliced".
No?
It's just me, isn't it. Ok, as you were. :lol:

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1467542734' post='3084360']
It's probably just me, but... whenever I see the word 'reliced', my mind interprets it as 're-liced'. As in, "the previous lice have all died, so I'm sending it off to be reliced".
No?
[/quote]

That was lousy. :mellow:

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1467542734' post='3084360']
No?
[/quote]

It's not just you! I would prefer "relicking", as in "panicking". Although when I mentioned that before, someone said it sounded like something had been licked and needed to re-licked...

• 1 month later...