Why become a member? ×

Precision or Jazz?

Leftfret

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1463905396' post='3054786']
The answer is simple - both!

But if I was forced at gunpoint to choose one, it would be a PJ with a J neck....
[/quote]

Definitely both, if you can afford it, or have the space
If not, then get a P, and mod it to a PJ, With which ever neck you find most comfortable
I prefer a J width neck, but that's just what suits my hands & style

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1463988573' post='3055470']
You should say to them that you find their lack of faith in your ability disturbing before picking one up by its neck
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1463908027' post='3054809']
A P body but with Jazz pick ups in it, with a Jazz neck that is the same size as a P neck, but it says Jazz on it, with flatwound strings from a Jazz, but used on a P, and with Jazz tuning heads for the E and A strings, but Precision heads for the D and G strings, with a BBOT bridge from a P that was put on a Jazz, but then swapped out for something fancy and put back on the P.

I like to keep it simple.
[/quote]
Sounds a bit like my current bass.

Its rather like asking whether a chicken madras is better than a lamb dhansak. There's no reason why a bit of variety should be considered a bad thing. But if I could only choose one it would be a P.

A growly P bass is by far and away my favourite bass tone, will full treble to cut through the mix. Go great with picks too. A maple neck P bass with the right pickups will do the job.

Then again, I have never even held a jazz bass in my life let along played one!

Speaking of P basses, I'll be having a very very special one made in the near future hopefully, will show you all if/when its done!

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1464042161' post='3056117']
Speaking of P basses, I'll be having a very very special one made in the near future hopefully, will show you all if/when its done!
[/quote]

Wouldn't happen to have a slab body by any chance would it?

[quote name='Leftfret' timestamp='1463874655' post='3054725']
(Be honest all you Rickenbacker 4001/3 and Gibson EB players - you all come back to the fold sooner or later)
[/quote]

Come back? I never went there in the first place. My first bass was a Burns Sonic, and after that I got an Overwater Original.

Full disclosure: I did own a Squier VM Fretless Jazz once - it was fine in the shop but in the band context I couldn't get on with it at all and after 3 months it got replaced with a Pedulla Buzz.

If the only options were a P or a J bass I'd go back to playing synth.

Er.. (Popcorn thread alert) ......Jaco, Miller, Graham, Bailey, Bootsy, Barrett et al....sorry Mr Jamerson but the Jazz tops the bill for me. Although I do like a good P; currently have a custom build P/J underway (prefer the thinner neck too)...but if it came to crunch my 1974 jazz all the way :)

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1464021623' post='3055826']
Its rather like asking whether a chicken madras is better than a lamb dhansak. There's no reason why a bit of variety should be considered a bad thing. But if I could only choose one it would be a P.
[/quote]

No word of a lie, I always order a chicken dhansak as hot as a Madras... It's unbeatable

I usually rehearse and gig with a 2013 Fender P bass it gets the job done every time. It's solid as a rock, a great working bass.

Last night though I wanted to bed some new strings in on my Jazz so used that to rehearse... Amazing! Neck pickup on 100%, bridge at about 80% and tone at 50%. Through a Rumble 500 v3 with everything flat.

I think the Precision will win in the end though, it always does.