Why become a member? ×

Precision or Jazz?

Leftfret

I'll have a "P" please Bob.

When it comes to gigs it's got to be a Precision, because I'm a big bloke with big paws (neck profile is better for me), plus a P Bass suits the kind of music I'm playing at the moment (Rock and Blues). Also being a pick player,IMHO, a Precision sounds better with a piece of plastic....

By the way, at home, I'll will mess about on a Jazz (as well as a Stingray)

Mart

[quote name='Leftfret' timestamp='1463874655' post='3054725']
Here's one to stir the pot!!

(Be honest all you Rickenbacker 4001/3 and Gibson EB players - you all come back to the fold sooner or later)
[/quote]

Also, you'll need two spoons to stir both those pots.

My first ever bass was a 1962 P bass. 44mmx19mm deep at the nut.
Perfect.

I now have a USA Precision 62 reissue which is just over the 19mm but is still lovely.
My PJ is actually an Epiphone Thunderbird mutant thing - production prototype I was given by the lovely peeps at Massman Drive years ago.
The neck on that is also 19mm deep but a slender 40mm wide. Also very well loved/played!

I have owned two or three Jazzes, including a 62 reissue and just never got on with them. Necks shaped like pencils.

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1463923534' post='3054977']
I had an ephiphany with precision and fold my jazz to buy one. Every so often I think it might be needed ve to have a jazz as "they are so much more versatile" then I realise I don't need one really
[/quote]

I know what you mean. I'm with Lozz, a P Bass man really, but there's something about twin Jazz pups I like, especially with flats! A Jazz with a P neck is definitely in my future somewhere. Or even a P with twin Jazz pups would do it... does that mean a Maru..? :o

Neither for me, Ricky player all day long.

I have tried to be a 'normal' player, and did spend some time last year with a P. It is indeed a fine bass, just not for me.

With this in mind, I vote P. It is, after all, the definition of bass guitar for so many.

I resisted the Fender urge for twenty years, but the lure of a keenly priced "Cowpoke" Precision was too great. I've had a few since then. My P basses get the most love, but I gigged with my Mexi Jazz the other night and loved the sound...just a touch of bridge pick up and a little tone...sounded fabulous and perfect for the Dr Feelgood style R&B band I play in.

I love the look of a P bass and the "no frills" design. If a bass had more than three knobs, it would confuse me and make my cry.

The Rushbo verdict...P bass wins by nose.

The 80's Japan Fender Power Jazz Bass Special is a little treat! PJ with a very skinny J neck. Active 'filter' EQ circuit as standard and a reverse P pickup. Extended cutaway and that all important high E on on the G string. Lovely bass - is a great all rounded!

Easy.. Pick both up and play them. One will ( if you are very lucky) say ...
yes I like you.
You will know it's right when it talks back to you.
The problem is knowing when this happens, I hear loads on here saying "I'm sorry I ever let that one go"
They know it after a long time of looking for the same thing
They had their chance and may never find it again, no amount of cash will ever find that again.
It's a connection thing,

Edited by funkgod

I tend to have a LPF set around 250hz so it doesn't really matter what bass I've got. I'll play anything really, except Stingrays because they always feel a bit Playmobil for some reason.

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1463965855' post='3055411']
Pick both up and play them. One will ( if you are very lucky) say ...
yes I like you.
You will know it's right when it talks back to you.[/quote]

Hmm...

Edited by AustinArto

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1463983470' post='3055436']
I have both, and often do the darth Vader thing, looking at one then the other , back and forth trying to decide which side to take.
[/quote]
You should say to them that you find their lack of faith in your ability disturbing before picking one up by its neck

Edited by Geek99