Why become a member? ×

Precision or Jazz?

Leftfret

Here's one to stir the pot!!

At the end of the day, after dabbling with all those weird and exotic basses most of us come back to a simple choice - Precision or Jazz?

(Be honest all you Rickenbacker 4001/3 and Gibson EB players - you all come back to the fold sooner or later)

So what's best - P or J?

I await the deluge :-)

The answer is simple - both!

But if I was forced at gunpoint to choose one, it would be a PJ with a J neck.

J sounds cool with the pickups blended, but weak with either pickup soloed. It can't touch the meatiness of a fine P.

Edited by dannybuoy

Has to be the Jazz bass.

Despite decades worth of classic p bass material & thousands of fantastic recordings to the contrary, there's something in my brain which insists two pickups hs to be better than one.

Also Jazz basses are prettier and have nicer necks.

A P body but with Jazz pick ups in it, with a Jazz neck that is the same size as a P neck, but it says Jazz on it, with flatwound strings from a Jazz, but used on a P, and with Jazz tuning heads for the E and A strings, but Precision heads for the D and G strings, with a BBOT bridge from a P that was put on a Jazz, but then swapped out for something fancy and put back on the P.

I like to keep it simple.

I love both but not a fan of PJ basses myself (I do have a PJ at home for practicing but tend to just use the P pickup solo'd). I actually think my Modern Player jazz with its coil tapable humbuckers covers both sounds better than a PJ. The neck pickup solo as a humbucker actually does a pretty passable precision and with both pickups as single coils it just sounds like a jazz. It also gives you the options of all the other combinations if you want them so really versatile.
Despite all that though I had my precision and the jazz at my gig last night and the jazz only came off it's stand to get tuned up so for me (at the moment at any rate) I guess it's precisions.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1463908027' post='3054809']
A P body but with Jazz pick ups in it, with a Jazz neck that is the same size as a P neck, but it says Jazz on it, with flatwound strings from a Jazz, but used on a P, and with Jazz tuning heads for the E and A strings, but Precision heads for the D and G strings, with a BBOT bridge from a P that was put on a Jazz, but then swapped out for something fancy and put back on the P.

I like to keep it simple.
[/quote]

This, definitely this, every time. 😊

My ideal would be a p bass with a jazz neck and am surprised by the comments so far how popular that would be.
I am sure it's been discussed many times why there isn't one readily available from fender

It would be nice to see a squier one (IE in my price range)

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1463914938' post='3054882']
They do limited production runs of p basses with jazz necks every now and then.

Hasn't the Nate Mendel signature got a Jazz neck?
[/quote]

No, the Nate is 40mm, between J and P.

P/J's pups, Precision body, jazz neck for me live. Mostly P pup solo'd but J blended in a touch when the song dictates. Oh and, green. Much better tone from green :mellow:

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/13124700_1120433004643431_456964581275824768_n_zpswmm0rhnn.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/13124700_1120433004643431_456964581275824768_n_zpswmm0rhnn.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/004_zpszmppmync.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by karlfer

I'm not a lover of the narrow necks on Jazzes. I have a Nate Mendel which has been said is 40mm. I dont mind that, but any slimmer would be a no go for me,
I had an Epiphone T Bird but that was so narrow, I had to let it go.
So, yes, Precision all the way for me.

Edited by Hobbayne