Why become a member? ×

Bad drummers - how do you deal with it?

project_c

One of the (but by no means the only) reasons I left last band. He also seemed to be more interested in pursuing other hobbies when he'd be better off knucking down and getting some home practice in. Enthusiasm only goes so far and if I'm paying my share of rehearsal time for him to turn up unprepared and start learning the song there then I'm out.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1463952026' post='3055329']
I meant overall, playing a song slightly slower/faster or differently from one week to the next. Speeding up or slowing down within the song is obvious. [b]I have timing like a metronome, I guessing you do too after reading your posts on here.[/b]

Through experience I agree with you about the drummer issues being a deal breaker. A bad drummer always reminds me of when my batteries were just starting to go on my Walkman in the 80's, that odd kind of uneasy feeling when the music is just slipping a bit!
[/quote]

Never thought of it like that... but I do know I'm very conscious of time wavering... and it is not as tho I'm playing root fifth all the time..
Nothing wrong with that, of course.

I just think just as you know when a song is 'happening' you really should know instantly when it isn't. I find a few bass players get this quicker than a lot of players...and gtrs can seem almost oblivious, but this just tells you what they are or rather, aren't listening to.
I must admit to being brutal on drummers... and I can make them sound good, (and vice versa) but there is a limit on what you should have to do so
the choice of drummer is a critical choice, IMV.

As for tempo changes over different gigs, I like to see/hear drummers who either have great time (bpm) in their head or use a click/metronome for consistancy.
The former being the most popular approach...:lol:

One point is: It's not the drummers job to keep time. It's the musicians' job to be in time with each other. The beat should move slightly, sometimes pushing sometimes holding back otherwise the song doesn't breathe.

A lot of musicians, not just drummers, don't seem to get this.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1464026123' post='3055889']

Never thought of it like that... but I do know I'm very conscious of time wavering... and it is not as tho I'm playing root fifth all the time..
Nothing wrong with that, of course.

I just think just as you know when a song is 'happening' you really should know instantly when it isn't. I find a few bass players get this quicker than a lot of players...and gtrs can seem almost oblivious, but this just tells you what they are or rather, aren't listening to.
I must admit to being brutal on drummers... and I can make them sound good, (and vice versa) but there is a limit on what you should have to do so
the choice of drummer is a critical choice, IMV.

As for tempo changes over different gigs, I like to see/hear drummers who either have great time (bpm) in their head or use a click/metronome for consistancy.
The former being the most popular approach...:lol:
[/quote]

Yep, I agree.

I'm done with playing with average drummers. I've never suggested a drummer played to a click, the ones who needed it the most in bands I have been are the ones who would probably be the most offended. Says a lot I suppose.

Funnily enough, the best drummer I ever had the privilege of sharing a stage with lost all the feel in his drumming when he was playing to a click, perfect timing of course but he just didn't sound as good.

Long and deep debate here... one that needs a reality check for all the members of any given band.

Scenario 1:

If you are in an *all star* band where each of you is a bit of a virtuoso at your individual instrument, in a way where you can talk to the talk and walk it too. In this type of band the world's your oyster if you are all good enough to compose / produce, play tasty solo's and play your own tunes in a way that an unsuspecting audience will enjoy hear your music despite not having heard it before in other words if your band is so good to have the wow factor, then a good drummer and bassists are the pivotal point and must be good.

Or... scenario 2

If you are the average cover band that you play well known tunes (mustang sally etc etc) to the best of your abilities and none of you are virtuoso's, you can get away with an average drummer as long as he keep it simple and on the beat!. In that case simple is better and a badly played solo from the guitarist, bassist or drummer are all out of the question. Any audience will appreciate a band which is very tight, well coordinated, has a very good singer, and no matter how simple or complex the tune every one must fit in with the others. Drummers that speed up are my pet hate, those that do unnecessary fills and keep hitting their crash cymbals, are likely to kill a band as well as copycat guitars solo, unless you are very good at it please do not play the solo of Sultan of Swing note by note as it will not impress anyone except your girlfriend in the audience.

I must add, a very good example is Gary Mackay's band, they are very tight, they play cover that everyone else play, yet they don't pretend to be flashy but you know what? He's got a good singer, a tight drummer that does not over play or speed up, and his guitarist is very humble plays all the right things in the right place, without stressing you out with searing solos, and of course Gary himself knows how to carry a tune on his bass, by the time you walk out of the gig you feel like you have really enjoyed yourself, so yeah Gary's band is a very good example of a decent band with a very honest drummer that is on the money all the times. You should check them out. Defunkt is the name they play in Herts.