Why become a member? ×

Survey to see what age range has opted to use lightweight (or NOT) gear.

largo

As a follow-up to another post, I raised the question whether it's an age-related thing to start using a lightweight bass rig.
Mr Discreet set down the challenge, so hopefully the following poll will give an indication on what age ranges are using lightweight gear. I'd like BC'ers to only answer yes if they are using lightweight gear because it's lightweight & not because they liked the tone & it just happened to be lightweight. It had to be one of the deciding factors.

Cheers.

Edited by largo

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1463350122' post='3050732']
Midweight head, lightweight cab. Sometimes glass and bog iron head (got to love those Partridge transformers). Unable to vote :(
[/quote]
Why? You have a lightweight cab. I did say "and/or" so as long as you chose part of your rig because it was light (not that it just happens to be light) then you would say yes. My amp is heavy(ish) but I chose my cabs because they were a lighter weight, so I said yes.

I didn't go looking for lightweight gear when I bought my first piece of it, but that's because I genuinely didn't know lightweight gear was 'a thing'. Since my first chance meeting with a Little Mark II and the realisation of just how much quite literal pain it could save me, it's become a choice with no significant element of compromise and it's formed part of every gear-buying decision I've made since.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1463345233' post='3050694']
Hmm, how do we decide if we're a yes or a no here? I have a micro head and lightweight 1x10" for the situations where that works, but at least some of my next few gigs will be with a valve head and a couple of ceramic 12"s. I'm not sure which box to tick!
[/quote]

If they're similar to the S112, I'd say light ;)

Interesting... My rig requirements are that I have to be able to get it to the gig on public transport; so to be honest everything else is of secondary importance. It doesn't matter how great something sounds if I can't get it to the gig...

If I had someone to carry it, store it and set it up at all my gigs I would use a full blown Glock BAC and matching 610. As it is, I don't have someone to do that for me, so the setup would be totally impractical... Currently using a Glock class D and a Berg neo 210, which I can strap to a trolley and get about London without too much trouble, very happy with the sound / volume too. I have ordered a pair of Barefaced One10s as that would give me the option of taking just one cab for smaller gigs, so hopefully I will soon be even more portable.

I'm loath to change as I love the sound of the Glock, but an MB500 would fit in the pocket of my gigbag making my setup even more practical... so I may go down that route as well.

... It's astonishing and a testament to progress that I can carry a gigable, great sounding rig, with plenty of headroom on the tube without any trouble.

Edited by CamdenRob

I still have ceramic speakers (albeit single 12"s), and have a class D head, although I mainly use IEM theses days which keeps things very light. I'll also admit to preferring lighter basses too when gigging.

I'm also well chuffed to just make it into the 31-40 age group :D

Edited by NoirBass

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1463358696' post='3050767']

If they're similar to the S112, I'd say light ;)
[/quote]

They're a bit heavier than the S112s as the boxes are about 10% larger and birch rather than poplar. But still nothing like the 30kg Peavey 1x15" I used for a couple of years.
I guess using a mixture of lightweight and old-school gear would still be a yes to using lightweight gear, so I've voted accordingly. At the moment there doesn't seem to be a big difference in age distribution between the two groups, which is interesting.

I've voted yes, I've got a Fender Rumble 500 v3, but also take along a Trace Elliot head, 12Kg, and a Trace 1 x 15 cab, 25Kg, as well for our main 2 hour gigs, I could get away with the Rumble TBH but it's just more rock and roll to have a stack behind you, it's not just about the sound at a gig but the whole show IMO, never like to see a band playing with tiny combos, or worse still, nothing at all it just doesn't look right somehow, to me anyway.