Why become a member? ×

Greenboy f112

sumorabbit

My recent F112 build from the nice chaps at TrickyAudio in the UK. I thought I would make it a bit more of a tarts handbag so I added some LED's to it.

These cabs are amazing, I'm never going to use anything else I don't think, apart from a second F112 at some point! I love the fact these cabs do such a good representation of what my basses actually sound like without adding much colour.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/5jkapvn5d/][/url]

[url="http://postimg.org/image/qc4qr5qlt/"][/url]

[url="http://postimg.org/image/s5321qmep/"][/url]

[url="http://postimg.org/image/uy1d6f5kh/"][/url]

[url="http://postimg.org/image/at7t0ybqp/"][/url]

Edited by sumorabbit

I think they are 12", 5" and 1" If I remember correctly. Either way it's safe to say it sounds great. It gets louder than my TC stack I had previously (2x10 and 1x12) and louder than my pf500 with 2 cabs (2x10 and 1x15) without getting farty and staying clear

I was seriously considering BF cabs, I test drove a few before I commissioned the Greenboy cab. It was a close call but what threw it is that it would be a custom cab and Ed Friedland's review. Plus they sound killer with upright bass too.

• 3 months later...

Anyone know how these fare vs the TKS 1126? Same woofer, not sure about the mid and tweet though. I've had my eye on the F112 for a few years but have been scared by the price and having to get it custom made...

Edited by funkle

One of the secrets that make Greenboy cabs so good is the crossover. Sure they use the best drivers too, but the crossovers are not proprietary lightweights, they are custom built VERY heavy duty (like 400 watts RMS I believe), and the transition from one driver to another is totally seamless.

What's the ideal power for an F112? What is the max anyone has pushed through it?

Edit: It's just I see people using very big power amps through these...and the 3012LF is a power hungry driver...is there a micro amp with 'big' power?

Edited by funkle

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1474481571' post='3138342']
What's the ideal power for an F112? What is the max anyone has pushed through it?

Edit: It's just I see people using very big power amps through these...and the 3012LF is a power hungry driver...is there a micro amp with 'big' power?
[/quote]

You need to look at 8 ohm power ratings. IME 600-800 watts works about right, but I'd shoot for at least 450 if trying to maximize output capabilities. The GK MB800 series is fairly popular with that crew, for one.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1474527927' post='3138527']
You mean 600-800 watts into 8 ohms? That's quite a bit more than the rating for that driver...and does anyone make a micro amp capable of pushing 600-800w into 8 ohms?
[/quote]

Yep, 600-800 into 8 ohms. Yes, you can easily toast a driver that way, but for my purposes with a fEARful 12/6, that was what I found to sound best. The amp I used with it for a year or so makes 600+ watts at 8 ohms on test bench with a sine wave.. So that means that realistically the greatest long term power I subjected the cab to using a bass signal was probably around 150 watts. That whole subject gets complicated quickly though, so I wouldn't presume to tell you what'll work best for your particular situation. Any 112 cab is still just a 112 though, so your volume control and your ears are your friends.

It depends on what you call "micro", but the 700-1000 watt @ 4ohm ones (thus 1/2 to 2/3 of that at 8 ohms) would be pretty much all I'd be looking at, as most of the 500 watt class ones make 250-300 watts at 8 ohms, which sometimes left me wanting a little more.

Thanks Passinwind. My Tecamp Puma 900 would probably have enough welly for one of these then.

Anyone know how loud one of these gets in the mids?.... I'm not worried about the lows with that 3012LF and the box size...I tried an Audiokinesis TC112AF before and that sucker had bass which would punch through walls, but was fairly neutral/quiet in the mids....the Berg CN112 cab I currently use is loud in the mids, and I find the 98db SPL claim credible. Tight in the lows though...

Edited by funkle

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1474562188' post='3138858']
Thanks Passinwind. My Tecamp Puma 900 would probably have enough welly for one of these then.

Anyone know how loud one of these gets in the mids?.... I'm not worried about the lows with that 3012LF and the box size...I tried an Audiokinesis TC112AF before and that sucker had bass which would punch through walls, but was fairly neutral/quiet in the mids....the Berg CN112 cab I currently use is loud in the mids, and I find the 98db SPL claim credible. Tight in the lows though...
[/quote]

Heh. I replaced my fEARful 12/6 with an AK TC112AF, the first 4 ohm version, which I slightly prefer for a variety of reasons (my 12/6 had no tweeter, for starters). Both the F112 and the 12/6 are somewhere in between the TC112 and the Berg in terms of mid forwardness/distortion/loudness/growliness, call it what you will. I only heard the CN series Bergs at NAMM (which is more or less worthless for critical listening), but I think I've heard nearly every other model Jim has ever made. I only really listened to the F112 at NAMM as well, but it was in the quietest section of the show and I really liked what I heard.

I love the GK MB800. It was a very close call between the GK and the Tecamp....the GK had a much noisier fan. Great sounding amp though.

Pmjos, can't wait to hear your review as well.

I am seriously tempted here, for the first time in a few years. I'll keep an eye on the TB classifieds...

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1474578015' post='3139031']
Greenboys have a very sweet midrange, as in sweet sounding. They will put out whatever you put in, a Puma 900 or GK MB800 are perfect amps for those cabs.
[/quote]

+1

They have a switch that alters the mids to give two flavors. IME one is brighter in the mids, the other less so which is my preferred setting. I use a MB800 but also have used a Hartke LH1000 bridged and that sounded enormous.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1474618083' post='3139205']
I love the GK MB800. It was a very close call between the GK and the Tecamp....the GK had a much noisier fan. Great sounding amp though.

Pmjos, can't wait to hear your review as well.

I am seriously tempted here, for the first time in a few years. I'll keep an eye on the TB classifieds...
[/quote]

The Puma is a really nice amp and should work very well with those cabs. I am very picky about fan noise myself, my homemade ones are all convection cooled.

Edited by Passinwind

• 3 weeks later...

Been reading more about the Warwick LWA1000 as an option. Its interesting that they did not go for the Ice lass D and have gone for a pascal class D.
[url="http://www.pascal-audio.com/amplifier-modules.html"]http://www.pascal-audio.com/amplifier-modules.html[/url]

Very good specs.