Why become a member? ×

Eurovision 2016

woodenshirt

Probably the best thing to watch is the national finals, as it is there that the fun music normally is squeezed out. :)
Here's a contagious little tidbit for my tastes, which got the bottom place in the second semi-final in '14:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ixkdkbieU&index=4&list=LLLqv73ZIM4nvLJAFStggJsg

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1463301213' post='3050200']
Although it smells like Another one bites the dust "my" country had the best bass line in the competition !

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMZH2w7IfhM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=IMZH2w7IfhM[/url]
[/quote]

That tune reminded me of this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JZ4pnNtyxQ

Well that's the fun over for another year... Love everything about Eurovision, especially people complaining that the reason we don't win is that we don't put good enough songs in...

Here's hoping the US get a go next year so at least there is one country in it everyone hates even more than us...

I don't enjoy the musak but what great light show's.. was blown away by all that.
I almost managed to watch all the songs this time.
Forgot to add that, "real" instruments seem to be very out of vouge.Maybe 3 or 4 tracks I could hear hear something close to an electric bass :(

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1463260910' post='3050067']
I'd rather watch Nick watching Bubinga's cat having a 5hit.
[/quote]id rather watch Rich watching Nick watching my cat have a sh*t. That would take time to organise. take from that my dislike.

All 10 of us had a great time, dressing up, having fun, eating a lovely meal (thanks MrsB) and drinking too much beer/ wine. Not to mention the Friday evening in the pub and the Sunday morning walk round the lake. The music was incidental to being with old friends and enjoying life. The music's rubbish - the atmosphere is brill. There's an off button for those who'd rather watch their cat.

I never watch the songs, but I quite enjoy watching the voting.

My recipe for improving it would be:
1) Restrict entrants to European countries
2) Require all songs to be sung in (one of) the indigenous languages of the country
3) Real instruments and performances only: no miming, no backing tracks, no use of samples
4) All entries must be versions of traditional songs from the country.

I think the result could be a genuine celebration of the rich musical culture of Europe, would help to preserve that culture from the ravages of ghastly homogenized all-pervasive trans-atlantic "pop", and would be much appreciated by me and the other seven people who would tune in to watch.

:lol: :P :lol:

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1463397773' post='3050949']
I never watch the songs, but I quite enjoy watching the voting.

My recipe for improving it would be:
1) Restrict entrants to European countries
2) Require all songs to be sung in (one of) the indigenous languages of the country
3) Real instruments and performances only: no miming, no backing tracks, no use of samples
4) All entries must be versions of traditional songs from the country.

I think the result could be a genuine celebration of the rich musical culture of Europe, would help to preserve that culture from the ravages of ghastly homogenized all-pervasive trans-atlantic "pop", and would be much appreciated by me and the other seven people who would tune in to watch.

:lol: :P :lol:
[/quote]

Have you heard of WOMAD?

I quite liked the Georgian entry, especially the middle bit with the electronica/effects pedals bit. I wanted to see what he was using so put the youtube on full-screen and used the quarter-speed setting to see what was going on. Turns out he's playing through cakes, or possibly plasticine.

Ffwd to about 2m07s for the close-up zoom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rviE2-9eiTI

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1463412174' post='3051121']... the middle bit with the electronica/effects pedals...
[/quote]

It looked, and sounded, to me as if he'd accidentally trodden on the wrong button and spent the rest of the number desperately trying to get it back to something credible, at least, in which (again, to me...) he failed. I'm all for innovation, but any random noise in a storm leaves me a bit cold, I'm afraid. Our eldest uses 'un-guitar' sounds a lot, but there's a certain coherence needed to pull it off, I reckon. Still, if it worked for some... :mellow:

Stopped taking myself so seriously many years ago and decided Eurovision is in fact a good deal of fun.
Because it is.
I watched the whole thing on iPlayer last night, as I was out on Saturday, I even avoided spoilers like those kickyball fan people do when they have to watch it later.
:)