Why become a member? ×

Playing 'Hysteria' bassline

julietgreen

Play it through slowly at first, and build up speed very gradually. Our youngest played this from an early age, and that's how he always practises. Never failed yet, but a bit boring for some U2 songs. Don't go for speed. Go for regularity and precision; the speed will come all the quicker.
Also, if you 'fluff' any part, carry on as if nothing's happened. Start again (once finished...), but a bit slower. Never stop on an error; continue regardless, but re-do it, more slowly.

Edited by Dad3353

I don't actually play this in my covers band, we were going to but they changed their minds after I had worked it out. However, i regularly play it as a good practice piece, like rhythm stick, its a good exercise and fun to play.

As dad says, start slow (but then this is the key to everything. You will find when you get it all sorted, bringing the speed up isnt hard, but you hands have to be in the right place

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1463237062' post='3049830']
My favourite go to riff every time I'm in a music shop trying a bass on a Saturday when it's full of yoofs :D
[/quote]

Last time I was in a music shop trying a bass, I played that and the guy said, 'oh, hysteria, thats what all the bass players play now, its like the guitarists and sweet child!'

It's a corker of a riff and sounds great with a pick or fingers. As for speeding it up, the only way is to practice slowly and increase the speed incrementally. Look at the transitions - which finger are you using to shift, ie take off and landing? Look at your left hand and right hand in detail, get those transitions down slowly and work up to speed. I'm not really the one to offer great advice as I'm only an internediate myself, but that's how I tackled it.

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1463237475' post='3049836']
That's what I'm doing, thanks. It's a credibility barrier thing. I don't see how I'm going to get faster and looking for reassurance that it does happen!
Pressure to get it 'up to speed' from band as usual!
[/quote]

Tell them when you feel you've nailed it then you'll play it, until then they'll have to wait.

No one else in bands seem to get this sort of pressure. In my experience if the guitarist or singer struggles with a song the it's 'oh well, never mind, we'll try something else '. Bass player has a few issues then it's 'just get on and learn it, and quickly '. Really boils my waste blood.

It's not too hard, you just need to take it easy, break it down, practise the parts (string jumps in that one got me for ages), and take it slow!

To quote the incredible Guthrie Govan, (or paraphrase) Practise at a speed you're comfortable at, and getting things right, and the speed will come, and be there when you need it.

Playing fast is 100% about precision, it's a by product, if you can play with precision, you can play fast, it'll come naturally :)

[/quote]

Yep, get it up to speed and then the singer will want it in Ab :lol:

There are a number of fingering options that you can experiment with, I played it for years with my '90s rock covers band (although it is from early '00s) and still play it on occasion with my Muse Tribute. It is not incredibly difficult, but it is one of those where you need to have it in your fingers (muscle memory) before it becomes comfortable.

You could try something like Anytune Pro, it lets you slow down the entire song to a speed you can manage and you can speed up until you reach full speed.

That's what I'm doing, thanks. It's a credibility barrier thing. I don't see how I'm going to get faster and looking for reassurance that it does happen!
[/quote]

Ignore the pressure, when you get it completely right, so your fingers know it, it is easy to get faster. However, if you don't 'really' know it, it will trip you up later on.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1463251675' post='3050003']
I got confused and thought you meant the Def Leppard track...I'll get me coat.....
[/quote]

All the instruments on the Def Leppard one really easy, I can even drum to it with one arm tied behind my back.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1463261693' post='3050076']

All the instruments on the Def Leppard one really easy, I can even drum to it with one arm tied behind my back.
[/quote]My mate used to play some Def Leppard in a band years ago , and used to pull one arm out of his T shirt for those songs

Edited by E sharp

When I have taught the bass line to my students, they have often tried to figure it out by tab. The note choices are often correct but the hand positioning is often wrong or needs help.

Once corrected this is a huge help. Then we start slow, observing the 16th note count and getting the note quality together. The rest after that starts to fall in to place.

One of my students I taught not only how to play the bass line, but also to get the sound and then we recorded his work. I got a message from his mum later after listening to the CD asking if it really was him playing the song :)

Just read all the posts. I will continue to work on precision and muscle memory. Thanks for the responses - they help.

With regard to ...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1463319306' post='3050400']
When I have taught the bass line to my students, they have often tried to figure it out by tab. The note choices are often correct but the hand positioning is often wrong or needs help.

Once corrected this is a huge help. Then we start slow, observing the 16th note count and getting the note quality together. The rest after that starts to fall in to place.

[/quote]

The part I'm not sure about is the descending semitones on those two riffs. I'm currently doing it from pinky down the frets, one finger per fret. Is that wise, or is it better to use an index, middle combination and move the hand down?

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1463334499' post='3050557']
Just read all the posts. I will continue to work on precision and muscle memory. Thanks for the responses - they help.

With regard to ...

The part I'm not sure about is the descending semitones on those two riffs. I'm currently doing it from pinky down the frets, one finger per fret. Is that wise, or is it better to use an index, middle combination and move the hand down?
[/quote]

Well, some of my students find it easier to use second and index and move the hand down because the third and pinky need development to build strength and dexterity. All four fingers '1 per fret' is fine too.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1463236784' post='3049826']
Play it through slowly at first, and build up speed very gradually. Our youngest played this from an early age, and that's how he always practises. Never failed yet, but a bit boring for some U2 songs. Don't go for speed. Go for regularity and precision; the speed will come all the quicker.
Also, if you 'fluff' any part, carry on as if nothing's happened. Start again (once finished...), but a bit slower. Never stop on an error; continue regardless, but re-do it, more slowly.
[/quote]

To paraphrase - Play it until you dont get it wrong (rather than play it until you get it right)