Why become a member? ×

Fender American Elite or Fender Marcus Miller Jazz?

woodywyatt

I am thinking of selling my Fender USA Geddy Lee Jazz for either a new Fender American Elite or Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
I play in a funk/disco band so I need the old vintage 70's tone
(Maple fretboard)

Anyone have any experience on each bass to let me know if it's a bad idea or not?
Thanks for your input

Fender have discontinued the Marcus Jazz.

It seems to have a bit of a mixed reputation, I loved the one I tried but I've heard a few people who seem not so keen. Apparently the 4 string was made in Japan whilst the 5 string was USA built, the 5 seems to have more fans.

I'm hoping to try one of the new Elites myself. It's predecessor, the Deluxe, seems to have had a few problems, particularly that the N3 noiseless pickups weren't that noiseless. It'll be interesting to see if the next generation N4s have solved that problem.

[quote name='woodywyatt' timestamp='1463234524' post='3049803']
I am thinking of selling my Fender USA Geddy Lee Jazz for either a new Fender American Elite or Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
I play in a funk/disco band so I need the old vintage 70's tone
(Maple fretboard)

Anyone have any experience on each bass to let me know if it's a bad idea or not?
Thanks for your input
[/quote]
The 5 string Elite I have(ash and maple) is very good, the back pickup is 60s position but the pre is very powerful and you can get a very good Jaco tone from it, the N4 pickups are good, perhaps a tad polite, but still very good! The Marcus Miller 5 I tried was sublime, a very good preamp and awesome pickups, sadly they've discontinued that bass, and they are virtually impossible to find new. Second hand they pop up but they go instantly.
[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1463249466' post='3049984']

It seems to have a bit of a mixed reputation, I loved the one I tried but I've heard a few people who seem not so keen. Apparently the 4 string was made in Japan whilst the 5 string was USA built, the 5 seems to have more fans.

I'm hoping to try one of the new Elites myself. It's predecessor, the Deluxe, seems to have had a few problems, particularly that the N3 noiseless pickups weren't that noiseless. It'll be interesting to see if the next generation N4s have solved that problem.
[/quote]
The N4's have fixed all the N3 problems, but they still aren't perfect yet. I like them combined with the Pre and some EQing you can get some lovely tones from them but straight off the bat they can be a tad polite
[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1463257289' post='3050037']
I'm keen to try an Elite 5. Sounds like the N4 pickups are a genuine upgrade over the N3. They look great, hopefully the low B will be a good one.
[/quote]
The N4's are much better, and mine has a fantastic B string, very good feeling under the fingers and sustains well and isn't a boomy mess!

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1463249466' post='3049984']

[/quote]

Having recently acquired a US Geddy and having previously owned a Marcus Miller and a US Deluxe Fender, I think you'd be disappointed once you move your Geddy on. Superb basses :)