Why become a member? ×

Have we all become wimps or is it a sign of an ageing population

Kex

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463242626' post='3049899']
1. How do you know weight isn't a factor for a lot of bass players?
2. How do you know a lot of bass players have never heard of BC?
3. Even if 1. and 2. are true, what possible bearing would it have on this thread?
[/quote]

1) because they never mention it and gig older heavier rigs.
2) because I knew a lot of bass players and I can only think of 4 who have logons here and none are
are big posters... (that doesn't include 2 I met on here)

I'm saying I agree with a previous post that BC isn't a factor in a lot of (bass) people I know and in a lot of ways, IMO,
not so relevant in the bass world.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1463240648' post='3049879']
@Grangur , Don't you help with your band mates gear then , just carry your own ??
[/quote]
Yes, I have, when in a band. If I were in a band with the OP I would help him too. I'm only making a point.

Maybe BCers do over do the weight bit. Maybe that's because many here are aging rockers with knackered backs.

If I'm coming over as a troll, I apologise. The only point I would make is when I finish the day job I'm usually tired. If I then need to go and rehearse or gig, I would favor light weight gear unless lack of weight would have a serious impact on things.

Sorry guys. I'll but out.

Weight isn't a big factor for me. I always used valve or hybrid amps then tried the class D stuff for a few years. I eventually went back to my bigger older amps because to me they just sound and work better for me. I don't consider them particularly heavy.
I used Hartke cabs for years , some heavy some not. I then used Vanderkley for a few years. Great well made etc cabs but I went back to Hartke because I prefer the way they sound to me. I don't care if they are technically better or worse than others , I use what works for me best.
I also spend a lot more time playing through my gear than carrying it so to me , weight isn't the main factor when choosing gear and I know a lot of other people who think the same.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1463244433' post='3049918']
I'm saying I agree with a previous post that BC isn't a factor in a lot of (bass) people I know and in a lot of ways, IMO, not so relevant in the bass world.
[/quote]

That's interesting. So by that logic do you think it's only Basschat members who are interested in buying lightweight equipment? And therefore companies who make and sell such gear largely rely on Basschat members to keep them afloat?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463245433' post='3049929']
That's interesting. So by that logic do you think it's only Basschat members who are interested in buying lightweight equipment? And therefore companies who make and sell such gear largely rely on Basschat members to keep them afloat?
[/quote]

Not only BC-ers... but I think non BC people think the premier lightweight gear is Markbass.

I'm sure some lightweight companies put great store in BC-ers buying their kit.

Off the top of my head, I think Hartke, TE, Markbass and possibly Ampeg are the most 'popular' rigs around here that I can recall.
Also, ...oddly enough, the guys with the best sound, in recent sorties, have been Markbass.

My conclusion of it all are some players are sound sorted and a lot aren't so much.

surely it's no big deal to carry an old head around? it's the cabs that are the trouble, I actually use a Trace Elliot 200 watt GP12 head with my Fender Rumble V3 500 as an extension cab because I prefer the Trace sound, plus I've got back up if my ageing T E head goes tits up

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1463246507' post='3049948']
surely it's no big deal to carry an old head around? it's the cabs that are the trouble, I actually use a Trace Elliot 200 watt GP12 head with my Fender Rumble V3 500 as an extension cab because I prefer the Trace sound, plus I've got back up if my ageing T E head goes tits up
[/quote]

This is my compromise. I like Trace Elliot, not found a class D I like enough to replace Trace Elliot, so I mainly use an AH-300 head that I bought on here a while back that had been ABS rack-mounted so it is now just 12kgs. This gives the ideal set-up for me and a balanced carry with a BF Supercompact cab in the other hand.

Back in the day I used some big TE gear - 118 cab paired with a 210 plus the head - nearly 100kg! I just can't load that kind of stuff in and out of the car any more with my fragile back. Funny thing is despite occasional bouts of nostalgia for that old rig I used a Trace Elliot back line recently that was the same head as mine but with a pair of TE 410 cabs. Moved a lot of air but give me the Supercompacts any day - sound is more focused in those!

Nowadays I leave my Ampeg cab and Peavey head at the community centre for music club use.

To carry around I use my TCE BG250-208. At 26lbs it suits me fine. I'm 69 this year and can't be arsed to shift heavy gear around anymore.

Re. the question about old guitars clapping out, it only applies to classical instruments. Because of the way they're constructed and the fact that they're very light, they don't last well. Steel strung is a different story - my 50 year old Martin is still going strong.

Several reasons. A very significant number of people do suffer from lower back pain at some point in their lives. Youngsters tend to think they're indestructible. I smiled when a 28 yer-old colleague said "But I'm too young to have back problems" - mine went out for the first time when I was 22.

Second audio technology has moved a long way in 40 years: magnet technology using rare earth magents in particular. Computer aided speaker cabinet design, new stiff, realtively light materials for cabs, microchip and digital technology... all means less mass

EDIT: remove silly typos...

Edited by zbd1960

I`ve not so much become a wimp as have just found that my permanent shoulder injury prevents me from carrying heavy gear, but doesn`t prevent me from carrying light gear. If the very light gear were not around I`d just have to buy the lightest of the old heavy stuff, leave it in the car all the time, and get help at rehearsals and gigs.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1463262475' post='3050083']
I`ve not so much become a wimp as have just found that my permanent shoulder injury prevents me from carrying heavy gear, but doesn`t prevent me from carrying light gear. If the very light gear were not around I`d just have to buy the lightest of the old heavy stuff, leave it in the car all the time, and get help at rehearsals and gigs.
[/quote]

Hopefully by now people will have realised I am of course playing devils advocate and so have total respect for you and anyone who modern tech has helped, whatever, weight or size. As for parking, so far its was never an issue for me but having not been a regular in London I can not comment but only sympathise.

I read on here a while ago about somebody wanting to sell a GK amp head as it was too heavy.
At only around 18 lbs for a near 500 watt quality amp, I think the recent class D amps have made us
think this is an unacceptable lump to carry around to gigs when in reality there can't be many people
who would struggle with it. Of course it's all relative and I understand why lighter is better for many,
but let's keep a sense of proportion over things.
Incidentally I'm an old gimmer still gigging and really appreciate my Barefaced Compact which only weighs
a few pounds more than my amp.

[quote name='Kex' timestamp='1463212601' post='3049512']So, whats with the weight thing, have we all become wimps :rolleyes:[/quote]

No we have all become smarter then we used to be in the seventies.

My valve amp is 250w and weighs 13kg. 2x12 cab weighs 21kg. I bring it all from the car in one go. Bass on my back, amp in one hand and pulling he cab (it has casters) with the other.
I can use my own rig any time, any place. No more playing through in-house or practice room "professional" backlines that turn out to have cheap old Peavy combos that make every bass sound exactly the same (HONK HONK) and receive Russian radio while at it.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1463266192' post='3050107']
I read on here a while ago about somebody wanting to sell a GK amp head as it was too heavy.
At only around 18 lbs for a near 500 watt quality amp, I think the recent class D amps have made us
think this is an unacceptable lump to carry around to gigs when in reality there can't be many people
who would struggle with it.
[/quote]

My 500w amp is a couple of pounds at most, I can put it over my shoulder when carrying the speakers my bass and the leads, making the whole thing two loads. So yes, to me it would be unacceptable.

Fair enough. I get the need to make things lighter for the gigging player.
Just saying that for guys who remember lugging SVT rigs etc for years,
even the' mid-weight' set ups are a godsend.
Also, ever noticed that an awful lot of pro players with road crew still
favour heavy valve/ big cab rigs? Just sayin....

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1463270111' post='3050126']
Also, ever noticed that an awful lot of pro players with road crew still favour heavy valve/ big cab rigs? Just sayin...
[/quote]

Well you're not going to spend good money just to make life easier for the staff, are you? Stands to reason... ;)

Edited by discreet

It's a godsend for me. My back trouble has flared up again recently and have been having sessions with the osteopath again. I'm 45, slightly overweight still but consider myself to be reasonably fit, I run, cycle, play football etc. I did a gig last night using my Music Man Bongo, TH500 and Barefaced Big Twin 2. It sounded huge, so for me, no tonal compromise compared to previous rigs I've had. I was home alone when I had to load the car to head to the gig, if I was still using my old Warwick WCA cabs I honestly don't think I would've been able to lift them at the moment!

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1463270111' post='3050126']
Also, ever noticed that an awful lot of pro players with road crew still
favour heavy valve/ big cab rigs? Just sayin....
[/quote]
Is that because it is what is expected and looks right?