Why become a member? ×

Talent to bass ratio

Twincam

Was unsure how to title the thread.

I'm embarrassed at how nice my bass is compared to my lack of talent. So everyone who picks up my bass has been a great player and they say how great the bass is then proceed to play something far from my level. I get the bass back and don't have a reply.

Now ive started to feel a bit self conscious even though I believe in a more simple bass playing style and even if I could play at a higher level I wouldn't play anywhere near as fancy as some do.
I'm thinking my current ability makes me look a bit all the gear no idea or something to that effect. So much so I've thought about getting a cheap bass so I don't look a plum.

My catch phrase is fast becoming "I work on them much better than I play them".

I'm a fantastic bass player, but my basses are ****, which is why I sound rotten. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :P

Self-confidence is a wonderful gift. To listen to reasonable (and reasoned...) criticism of one's behaviour is one thing; to stand up and do as one thinks best to the best of one's ability is just fine, too. I'd let no-one's opinion alter my own self-esteem (which, incidentally, is quite low, in fact...). It's not complacency, it's self-confidence. You're as good as you are, and better than a very high percentage of folks on the planet. It's not a competitive sport, either; there are no medals to go for. Compare 'yourself' to 'yourself a while ago', and to no-one else. :mellow:

I love letting others play my gear - love to hear how others can make it sound. Secretly I'm watching and listening, ready to "[i]borrow[/i]" tricks and riffs.

Being a great player isn't about being "flash" - it's about being solid, in time, and holding down the beat. It's only other bass players who appreciate the bass, I don't know any Bassists who [i]criticise[/i] their peers - we're only ever supportive of each other.

What I hear from your post is "[i]I lack confidence and self belief[/i]" - this is completely natural - if you had tons of these you'd have wanted to be the singer or guitarist.

It is like any gear. Do you need a Ferrarri when a Fiat will do? It is up too you to decide what you want to buy. I would be surprised to see a Ritter bass at the pub, but if that is what they want to play, then it is a good enough reason for me.My bass is far too good for me, but I bought it too learn on and grow with me.

I also think like the OP, everyone sounds better than me, however I can flip the coin. Not many play like me, and my style is what is needed for my band. Would I prefer to sound like them, or me, in my band?

Edited by Lozz196

Thankfully I gave up long ago worrying that all other bassplayers were better than me. Put me off big time and felt very selfconcious and uncomfotable most of the time.
Now I just put it out there the best I can and like to think the passion and love (yes love!) I give it makes up for my lack of technical skills
I don't think having a decent bass is anything but a good tool to be using.

I bought my first "good" bass after I retired from playing music for a living.

Most midrange pro players that I know have pretty crap basses because they need to spend their money on stuff like car payments rent and food, so dont let it worry you.

The saddest part for me was that my first ever bass was a 1962 |Precision I bought used in 1963 and then sold to finance a guitar I needed for a paying gig...
Closest I ever came to a decent instrument after that was a Rickenbacker 4001 I bought dirt cheap in the UK at a time when nobody famous was using them! Swapped that for a fender rhodes piano for another gig in the end.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1463059753' post='3048186']
I'm embarrassed at how nice my bass is compared to my lack of talent.
[/quote]

You needn't be. I see lots of folk who buy nicely made instruments just for how they look and feel. They have no intention of learning to play them, they just like to possess such a finely crafted thing as a musical instrument and decorate their homes with them in much the same as antique collectors would.

If you pretend that you are in that category then whatever your ability, you are one up on them without really trying.

Enjoy your instrument. No need to feel guilty or embarrassed.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1463059997' post='3048190']
Don't worry about it
[/quote]

+1. Good (or great...) players don't have a monopoly on owning nice basses. Just enjoy playing [u]your[/u] bass [u]your[/u] way and don't be letting such trivial matters upset or embarrass you. ;)

Yeah, doing house band at jam sessions soon gets you over it. Handed mine to no end of people who then make it sound like it was crafted to do rather than my sausage fingered ramblings. On the other hand it's also been occasionally handed to a total novice too so it evens out eventually.

There's no law that says that the equipment you own should reflect your personal opinion of your standard of playing.

If that were so there'd be an awful lot of us playing Encores through Tandy combos. Especially as I reckon most of us on here would describe ourselves at best as 'Intermediate' even the guys the rest of know from the song and noodle challenges are actually sh!t hot.

Don't be too down on yourself, its very hard to be objective about your own standard of playing. I'd wager most people would rate your playing higher than you do yourself.

Edited by Cato

"Great playing" is judged by the person watching, not the person playing. Every player has weaknesses and issues with their playing. It's how you are as a person/musician dealing with other people/musicians that really counts. Nobody calls the "great player" who turns up with an attitude 30 minutes late because he thinks his 'chops' are good enough to act like a diva :-D

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1463059753' post='3048186']
My catch phrase is fast becoming "I work on them much better than I play them".
[/quote]

Has anyone ever said to you, "Twincam, you don't deserve this instrument, it makes no sense you owning it - I do hope you're fixing it for a friend" ?

Go easy on yourself. This kind of self-doubt is my bugbear too so I know where you're coming from. Try not to decide what people are thinking of you for, you're rarely right.

Oh, and it's true - a simple playing style is great...chops and flash are one thing, but they're not everything, not by a long chalk.

Edited by ahpook

I'm a frustrated guitarist who got fed up of not being good enough 6 string-wise. My ability to hold good timing and run riffs whilst singing is what keeps me in bands rather than any excess of talent. That said, isn't it that primary reason for a bass player to exist in most bands?

I have the best gear I can because a) I can B) I want it and c) it makes playing enjoyable rather than a chore.

Edited by DaytonaRik

With musical instruments it's generally a good idea to buy the best you can afford (and it doesn't matter if it's a piano or a bassoon). The action, set-up and playability of a better instrument are worth having as you are much more likely to stay with it if basic ergonomics and mechanicals of the instrument are not an issue. Bassists are relatively fortunate in that 'pro' level instruments are relatively inexpensive compared to others (e.g. even a 'student' level bassoon is about £8,000)