Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Cobalt flats - the flats for those who don't necessarily want flats

mcnach

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1469176911' post='3096293']
So, a couple of months later ... how do the Cobalts sound and feel?
[/quote]

They feel and sound pretty much the same, I think. It's not the bass I play the most (my Stingray has that job) but I've used it a fair bit at home and played a few gigs too. I'm tempted to put those strings on my SUB, so that I can compare better the sound, as I've never used the ATK with any other strings... but I'm still very happy with them. They're not my favourite strings... I'm still a steel/roundwound type of guy, but it's a great variation to have. The ATK with those strings give me a very thick tone that has lots of definition and the top end is there when I want it... and they feel great.

[quote name='Mattpt85' timestamp='1469185437' post='3096396']

I'm going to give them a try, are these the ones?
[/quote]

I use the super slinky version (pink pack - 45,65,80,100) on my Stingray Classic - provides a great overall balanced sound and avoids the E and A sounding too bassy with scooped EQ

There are several other gauges available.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest bassman7755

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1462980650' post='3047531']
That's exactly what I felt too. I generally like my rounds after they've been played in a bit and lose the initial extra brightness... so these sounded great to me from the beginning.
[/quote]

Thats the same sound you get from elixir nano webs - they sound slightly "played in" right from new but keep that definition for ages, and they are very smooth to play and feel like half rounds. I'd be interested to try these cobalt efforts though if they have similar characteristics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1463042260' post='3047966']
I am feeling a bit light headed at the moment because I went onto youtube to hear these things. They sound really good. I will try some. However the video I watched was of a guy playing left handed with upsidedown strings. I can handle left handed but the upsidedown strings made everything wobbly in my head. He played lovely stuff though.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI2CgGaKKqI[/media]
[/quote]

Loved the tone and that bass player was an absolute treat. Weird to watch but boy he could play.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1483473319' post='3207489']
Loved the tone and that bass player was an absolute treat. Weird to watch but boy he could play.
[/quote]
Stan Sargeant. Plays with Al Jarreau and currently with Keb Mo.

as the original poster, I thought I'd add that... I got tired of them :lol:

Nice feel and sound, but... I missed my usual stainless steel roundwound sound. So after I sold the ATK300 I haven't bothered buying those strings again. They do have their uses and I'll keep them in mind, but I personally prefer the good old roundwound stainless steel string after they lose their initial OTT brightness.

• 3 weeks later...

Tempted, but confused. Especially at that price point,

I've got Fender flats on my Fender Jazz Bass. Love them, reckon I don't need more brightness.
Thomastiks are on my Lull Precision (PJ) that works well but could be worth a try as it's a versatile bass.
Got rounds on my MusicMan Sabre, not a fan of rounds usually but they do suit it, so maybe that bass could do with them?

Any thoughts? :)

(Edit - leaning towards the Sabre)

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='antnee' timestamp='1485113641' post='3221233']
I think someone has a tested set for sale in the classifieds.

I am very happy with my set and can see me purchasing them for the foreseeable future.
[/quote]

So you have them on your MM SUB? How the slap sound and tone when you dig in?

Cheers for the heads up, think they've sold though. I'd be after the 45-100 but would probably prefer new.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1485114063' post='3221246']

So you have them on your MM SUB? How the slap sound and tone when you dig in?

Cheers for the heads up, think they've sold though. I'd be after the 45-100 but would probably prefer new.
[/quote]

I do indeed. I rarely have to slap for my current set list 😂 but when noodling at home it has the potential for good slap tones. When digging in with a pick and fingers though they have great flexibility and tone.

I went for the 50-105 as that sounds best for the mixture of rock/blues that we do.

[quote name='antnee' timestamp='1485114766' post='3221262']

I do indeed. I rarely have to slap for my current set list 😂 but when noodling at home it has the potential for good slap tones. When digging in with a pick and fingers though they have great flexibility and tone.

I went for the 50-105 as that sounds best for the mixture of rock/blues that we do.
[/quote]

Mmm, I'm warming up for a set on my Sabre. Cheers, appreciated