Why become a member? ×

Have you ever.....

AndrewJordan

To a degree, but not so much playing it wrong but learning better ways of playing it.

With 50 years of this under my belt the way I hear parts has improved greatly. And technology has helped as well. You know with isolated bass tracks readily available on YouTube as oposed to moving the needle on vinyl,

Blue

Edited by blue

Most common for me is how much slower the originals often are. There's always a tendency to
play tunes a bit 'brighter' live (especially for dancing purposes), and often losing the groove in the process.
For instance, have you listened to 'Sweet Home Alabama' lately? Steady as hell....

Good answers all!! Yeh, nobody has spotted the mistakes yet............or at least not mentioned them. But it's bugging me now. And I think our guitarist plays it the same as me but I'm gonna check tomorrow night at band practice cos if he doesn't then we have been playing a couple of notes a semitone adrift for years without noticing. :blush:

And blue, you're right I definately hear things better after years of playing. This was one of the first songs we learnt as a band around 15 years ago and I don't think I've heard the original since.

casapete, in this case the original is quite a bit faster than we play it :blink: although the second old song I re-listened to is indeed quite a bit slower.

[quote name='Agwin' timestamp='1463310584' post='3050321']
I've realised I've been playing a mildly alternative bass line - which to date has not been mentioned by either the band or punters.
[/quote]

Yep, this. Nothing iconic (there are some lines and riffs which definitely need to be right), but just adjustments to the original: no covers band (or even tribute band) has the same mix of talents as the original, so I go by what works best for the song and the band, and I don't kill myself about being exactly note for note.

Edited by Muzz

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='AndrewJordan' timestamp='1462910372' post='3046936']
Listened to a track you've been covering for years and realised you've been playing it wrong? :blush:
[/quote]
Sometimes. Luckily there are isolated tracks on you tube channel.:-)

I'll go back and check covers sometimes. I might change what I'm playing as a result and I might not. My charts are usually worked out correctly from the start. I'll play some covers note for note and others will be "my take".

I prefer when the band follows the chord structure of the original cover, unless we're using a new arrangement. I'll usually hassle if bands cut corners or are careless or lazy.

I've covered loads of songs that I've never even heard the original of.

I used to turn up at rehearsal and the guitarist would say he wanted to do some dodgy old rock song. He'd tell me the chords and we'd jam it out. Then we would just gig it. I never even felt the need or desire to listen to the originals.

Mind you, it turned out I had been playing a Who song for years and I had no idea :D

So pretty much everything I play is wrong :D

[quote name='AndrewJordan' timestamp='1462910372' post='3046936']
Listened to a track you've been covering for years and realised you've been playing it wrong? :blush:
[/quote]

Yes. My excuse is that every tab and every YouTube example of said song, except the original, is written/played wrong. Every single one.

Oh yes, and it was quite easy to hear on the isolated bass track on Youtube, but not so easy on the original, although knowing the chords should have pointed the way to the notes.

Edited by tauzero

Listen again to SHA. It's a great country rock tune. Most people I've heard play it as a grungy rock thrash and trample all the life out of it.

Also listen again to Mustang Sally. Wilson Picket and the Fame guys swinging like a thingy.

These songs get slated but they are great songs. They get such a bad reputation because they're usually played so badly by bands who wouldn't know a subtle groove if it hit them in the face.