Why become a member? ×

Reasons For Getting Fired From A Band

blue

• 1 month later...

I have just qualified.

Joined a band and had 3 rehearsals for a mix of covers and originals - all of us roughly equally skilled but I have possibly the most gigging experience as well as diversity in music. Everyone agreed a 3-4 week break due to holidays etc, I messaged the group to ask when we were reconvening and was told pretty much "we're changing the band with one guitarist now playing bass instead of you, sorry bye"

I just hope he's better at bass than he is guitar.

Been fired once for wanting the covers band with two good female singers to focus on the 80s ballads they were brilliant at singing... But the guitarist wanted to play five or six stereophonics songs.

I recently mutually agreed to fire a drummer. He was an ok drummer but we couldn't get on with him personally. He also suggested our talking heads/ police/ Elvis Costello covers band should play Robbie Williams "let me entertain you". We were giving him a chance on the being a bit of a tw@t front but that was the final straw.

Most common reason for being sacked - having a daytime job .

Auditions seem to go OK , initial rehearsal seem to go OK , then suddenly said band want to do festivals / stadium gigs / world tours and we haven't even played down at the local Spit and Sawdust Pub .
As I'm not prepared to give up the day job ( sorry chaps , I have a mortgage ) my " commitment " to the band comes into question , and I know it's just a question of time .

I have also been replaced by another bass player " who has a bigger amp " than me .
I received a phone call 3 weeks later asking if I would consider re- joining the above band when they found out the big amp guy was cr@p and unreliable .

Found out I was sacked when I saw the advert for a bass player in the classifieds. I phoned the singer and got her answer phone. left a message and got one back a few days later with an apology but no real explanation. I suspect it was the keyboard player / band leader who was a total arse.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1467210128' post='3081959']
I have just qualified.

Joined a band and had 3 rehearsals for a mix of covers and originals - all of us roughly equally skilled but I have possibly the most gigging experience as well as diversity in music. Everyone agreed a 3-4 week break due to holidays etc, I messaged the group to ask when we were reconvening and was told pretty much "we're changing the band with one guitarist now playing bass instead of you, sorry bye"

[/quote]

Was there any signs that these guys were amateurs when you rehearsed with them?

Blue

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1467229011' post='3082169']
Found out I was sacked when I saw the advert for a bass player in the classifieds. I phoned the singer and got her answer phone. left a message and got one back a few days later with an apology but no real explanation. I suspect it was the keyboard player / band leader who was a total arse.
[/quote]

Unprofessional, these bands usually go nowhere.

Blue

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1467227860' post='3082154']
Most common reason for being sacked - having a daytime job .

Auditions seem to go OK , initial rehearsal seem to go OK , then suddenly said band want to do festivals / stadium gigs / world tours and we haven't even played down at the local Spit and Sawdust Pub .
As I'm not prepared to give up the day job ( sorry chaps , I have a mortgage ) my " commitment " to the band comes into question , and I know it's just a question of time .

I have also been replaced by another bass player " who has a bigger amp " than me .
I received a phone call 3 weeks later asking if I would consider re- joining the above band when they found out the big amp guy was cr@p and unreliable .
[/quote]

Sure, I'll rejoin. My fee is $50.00 an hour including rehearsals,

Blue

About 30 years back, In my early 20,s, I got fired from my first band for wearing a Fleetwood Mac Tango In The Night T shirt on stage. Not the sort of image my arty bandmates approved of.
I was told the band had folded, but discovered they had regrouped with the singers mate on bass.

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1467210128' post='3081959']
I have just qualified.

[/quote]

I wouldn't all that being fired. I'd say you didn't complete your probation.

Would be nice if you were told why and to your face. Even if it was just because you 'didn't fit the band dynamic' :D

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1467367219' post='3083108']
About 30 years back, In my early 20,s, I got fired from my first band

I was told the band had folded, but discovered they had regrouped with the singers mate on bass.
[/quote]

A drummer of a band I was in did this to the singer. Without much discussion from the rest of us.

It's a rubbish way of doing things and makes everyone look ridiculous.

Call someone or go see them and tell them they're out, give real reasons and move on. Otherwise you're not doing anyone any favours.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1467371152' post='3083149']

A drummer of a band I was in did this to the singer. Without much discussion from the rest of us.

It's a rubbish way of doing things and makes everyone look ridiculous.

Call someone or go see them and tell them they're out, give real reasons and move on. Otherwise you're not doing anyone any favours.
[/quote]

Agreed, and it's not easy telling someone they're no longer a match for the band.

And getting fired when you do it for a living could be devastating.

In my neck of the woods if your only resource for work is what's advertised publically, this is What you would be looking at;

http://www.milwaukeerocks.com/classifieds.asp?cat=1013

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1467227860' post='3082154']

[/quote]

"she's better looking than you - and she's got a bigger amp"

Three weeks later they came begging when she was poached by another band!

[i] guitarist in the band I was in said enough is enough,when I questioned why he replied that I like a laugh too much and now I quote,my questionable morals makes me someone he would much less know than play with,so I thanked him for the glowing reference wished the silly old fool all the best,given that I am happily married in my late fifties who does not drink,smoke or do drugs did make me chuckle [/i]