Why become a member? ×

Reasons For Getting Fired From A Band

blue

I agreed to help out a band as they had no bass player at the time but had gigs. I was already in another band and agreed that any dates booked by my current band I would stick to. I kept a good diary and let them know well in advance of non-availability but ultimately they wanted me to play more that I could commit to, so I was fired, though it was all good natured and we remain friends still.

I once got dumped from a band "...because we don't want the drummer any more and you get on with him really well, so we guess you're guilty by association....."

I think that was probably a spineless attempt at covering the fact that at 6'3, fat and ginger, I didn't fit their "image".

I got left behind ability-wise by a jazz band I was in just after I left school. They were just practicing and improving so much faster than I could manage, and they got in the drummer's mate who was at a much higher level than me at the time. Being told you're not good enough hurts, even if you have come to that realisation yourself. Guitarist has been pro for the ensuing 35 years and the sax player is really good for someone that doesn't do it as a job.

Got fired from a band with a school mate as they wanted me to spend more time networking at gigs in London with them, and was replaced by a younger, taller, trendy looking lad who was about the same ability on guitar. Did get to play with the singer again in a later incarnation though, so no hard feelings on this one.

The one time I was fired was about 20 years ago. I auditioned successfully on guitar (up against at least 1 other), worked hard at nailing all their songs ('we do this specific live version of [i]Why Do Fools Fall in Love[/i]'), but struggled with some of the material ([i]Toccata & Fugue in D minor[/i], anyone?). I was pretty narked when I got the call, but in some ways it was a lucky escape - they played incredibly loud (the guitarist I was replacing used two 100W amps!) and they had their own van (i.e. a money-pit).

Technically I guess I've been fired twice, though on both occasions it was a case of them phoning me before I could see them face to face to tell them I was quitting. I don't like to do that stuff by phone so if I'd simply followed the bands method then i would have quit by phone a few days before they asked me to go. Blessed relief on both occasions. The last time they still had my power amp to run the PA, then asked to borrow it one last time even though I wouldnt be playing the gig. Amp destroyed at gig by drunk spilling beer on it, band refused point blank to give me what the amp was worth second hand. Doing them a favour left me £120 out of pocket.

I was fired from a band I wanted to leave. I didn't like the bass player (I was on lead guitar) and I don't think he really liked me, (and his wife used to fancy me way back, not at this point) and when I got the sack, he was on holiday and didn't come to the meeting. I'm still very good friends with the other guys and play with the drummer every now and then.
It was a good band and they/we wrote some cracking songs together

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1462888607' post='3046659']
The last time they still had my power amp to run the PA, then asked to borrow it one last time even though I wouldnt be playing the gig. Amp destroyed at gig by drunk spilling beer on it, band refused point blank to give me what the amp was worth second hand. Doing them a favour left me £120 out of pocket.
[/quote]

If I had left, I would have lent them the amp. If I was kicked out by phone, I wouldn't have done so.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1462872433' post='3046393']
I wouldn't shut up about the growing up in the 60s and how amasing the beatles were
[/quote]

Hey, it's not your fault you were born in the right time period and right place.

Blue

Edited by blue

Fired for wanting to have some creative input and not being an exact replica of the previous guy.
I was in fact the most reliable member of the band , during my two year stint everyone else failed to turn up to at least one rehearsal without warning. The guitarist once failed to turn up because he'd forgotten what day it was. They went on to have four bass players in the next few months before disappearing into the "where are they now file".

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1462910113' post='3046933']
Fired for wanting to have some creative input and not being an exact replica of the previous guy.
I was in fact the most reliable member of the band , during my two year stint everyone else failed to turn up to at least one rehearsal without warning. The guitarist once failed to turn up because he'd forgotten what day it was. They went on to have four bass players in the next few months before disappearing into the "where are they now file".
[/quote]

A few of the posts here really reflect, again, guys not doing their homework before joining a band.

I joined my band to play bass guitar and sing background vocals. It was made clear from the on set that was my role. I have no creative imput and I'm fine with that.

My point, we established what my role would be prior to my accepting the offer.

That was 5 years ago, and things are still cool.

Blue

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1462910759' post='3046942']
I'm not actually sure. Probably lack of talent. But the leader asked me about six weeks before "Do you think I'm too manipulative?", apparently seriously...
[/quote]

To me, if a guy has paying work to offer he can be as manipulative as he wants.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462910970' post='3046945']
A few of the posts here really reflect, again, guys not doing their homework before joining a band.

I joined my band to play bass guitar and sing background vocals. It was made clear from the on set that was my role. I have no creative imput and I'm fine with that.

My point, we established what my role would be prior to my accepting the offer.

That was 5 years ago, and things are still cool.

Blue
[/quote]
I knew the band well and as individuals. I was told before I joined that I could play the music my way. Homework done over the course of over ten years.
On the other hand ... the band I'm in now (and for six years so far) I was asked to play bagpipes!(no joke) , I intended to play bass only and all the songs were written by the singer.As for the bagpipes I just turned up with a bass and they were soon forgotten. These days I play bass , sing 1/3 of lead vocals (on songs I've written) and occasional flute. I also serve as the front man.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

Fired , but sort of ready to leave anyway .

Around late 80's early 90's (can't remember now) , I was called up to work with an up and coming new country guy , who , locally , was well known , and had a great reputation .

Loads of Sunday rehearsals , and band was cracking . Did some really good USAF gigs , and a real buzz around the band was happening .

Everything was evenly split , even though it was his name as the band - The ***** band , as such . This was never an issue with anyone . He then copped some big paying gigs , and decided that for them , we'd be on a wage , but an even split on the cheaper gigs .

The guitarist wasn't happy , and caused a scene , as his mate , he looked at me , and I agreed . The other two just stared at the floor , not wanting to upset the 'talent' . This was primarily because there was an Albert Hall gig booked (as part of a festival) , and they didn't want to not play there .

The guitarist got a call from the girl fiddle player the next day , as did I - big man never even had the guts to do it himself .

There was talk about me helping them out with the Albert Hall gig , but I told them to **** off . So by complaining about £20 (I think it was) , I got fired .

Even today when I get a shirty Landlord giving it the 'big I am' , I mention that I'm not bothered about playing their poxy pub , as I turned down playing the Albert Hall , all over £20 . He he

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1462911674' post='3046952']
I've only been fired once, and that was because "you're not black enough".... :angry:
[/quote]

Did they hire you with hopes that you would become Blacker over time?

Blue

I like to think they hired me because I could play, but then as the band got more and more successful, the "image" became more and more important, and the frontman (who shall remain nameless, as he did actually have a career) was VERY conscious of his image. Mind you, maybe they just wanted a better bass player and thought it was kinder to lie to me!

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1462913942' post='3046996']

What happened to the 'big man'? Did he go on to make a name for himself?
[/quote]He's still on the circuit - a living out of it , I think .

He was in Les Mis for a while in the West End , but never quite made it - twat .

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1462873917' post='3046409']
Fired / shoved from a sh*t hot, highly rated blues band after 10 years for refusing to play SRV clone stuff like every other blues band in the world (plus there was a load of my work commitments, to be fair.)

The galling thing was it was a new drummer that kicked off the SRV idea, was booking us £100 pub gigs and he couldn't even play a fricken shuffle properly!

I'm pleased to say that the band imploded 3 months after I went. :D

The same drummer is also selling our blues bands CDs at his current gigs inferring he's playing on them - he did not play on them at all!!!!! :o

I'm getting wound up now so I'll stop! :(
[/quote]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/H3NHQg][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/H3NHQg]srv[/url]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462911150' post='3046947']
To me, if a guy has paying work to offer he can be as manipulative as he wants.

Blue
[/quote]

If we were getting paid, I'd probably agree.

I won't work with her again, for sure.