Why become a member? ×

Basschat Noodle Bar - MAY

Skol303

[size=5][b]Welcome to the Basschat Noodle Bar™! [/b][/size]

The rules are simple:
[list=1]
[*][b]Record yourself playing bass for up to 60 seconds[/b]. You can record whatever the heck you like: an original riff or lick; something from your band’s own repertoire; or a well-known piece you’re currently practicing. Doesn’t matter what. Just record something.
[*][b]Make sure it’s bass only[/b]: no other instruments. FX and pedals are allowed, as are simple click tracks and metronomes.
[*][b]Upload your recording to [url="https://soundcloud.com"]SoundCloud[/url][/b], YouTube or another music-sharing platform of your choice. Once you’re finished, post the link to your recording in this thread. Job done!
[/list]

Or in short: PRESS RECORD > PLAY BASS > PRESS STOP!

[b][color=#800000][size=5]The deadline for entries is midnight on Tuesday May 31st.[/size][/color][/b]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462861288' post='3046249']

I'm trying to make up for my slight disappointment that nobody cares with blind enthusiasm...

... This month is the month!
[/quote]

Ah yes ok I'm up for that too.

So how many entries this month then? I'm thinking at least 21. With double or triple the amount of voters.
If we can convert the people who spend hours on here a day to spending 5 min actually playing (any old sh*t) while recording it then it could happen.

I still think a small prize would of been a good idea.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462880446' post='3046515']
OK so what sort of small prize would encourage people to enter / vote? clip tuner maybe? set of feeler gauges or similar? Candlelit dinner for two with me at a romantic retreat of your choosing?
[/quote]

Think you're asking in the wrong forum as we are the people who give our noodles away for free :blush: :lol:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462880446' post='3046515']
OK so what sort of small prize would encourage people to enter / vote? clip tuner maybe? set of feeler gauges or similar? Candlelit dinner for two with me at a romantic retreat of your choosing?
[/quote]

Well even tho I don't use one I thought some nice custom made engraved picks would be cool. The winner or top three get one each and maybe the winner gets something else relatively inexpensive but cool as well. At the end of the year we crown a noodle champion and they get something as a reward and certificate and the pleasure of putting it in there sig.

I flooded this idea at the start I would of put in the funds, I don't think skol was too keen. But if a few people think it's a good idea I'm still willing to contribute out my own pocket would be cheap if one or two of us would be willing to do so. It would be fun I think even not to win anything it makes it a bit more attractive maybe.
Although we still want to keep the noodles simplicity down and not have people really over thinking it. As the idea was for anyone of any calibre or minimum equipment to enter.

Last month I would of gotten the noodle wooden spoon or is that chopsticks?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462880446' post='3046515']OK so what sort of small prize would encourage people to enter / vote? clip tuner maybe? set of feeler gauges or similar? [b]Candlelit dinner for two with me at a romantic retreat of your choosing?[/b][/quote]

[i]Now[/i] we're talking! :gas:

In all seriousness, I’m happy for anyone to offer up a prize. We’ve had people do so in the monthly Composition Challenge and it’s always gratefully received.

However, past experience shows that prizes have very little - if any - influence on the number of entries and votes, unless the prize itself is fairly substantial. Clip-on tuners, strings, picks and the like aren't likely to whet appetites beyond the usual cadre of people who take part in these challenges.

Sad as that is to say! But it's the nature of the beast. Most people on Basschat just aren't interested in making music - they come here for reasons of GAS and to have a rant in Off Topic. All perfectly fine, albeit a little perplexing to me personally.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1462892569' post='3046723']
However, past experience shows that prizes have very little - if any - influence on the number of entries and votes, unless the prize itself is fairly substantial. Clip-on tuners, strings, picks and the like aren't likely to whet appetites beyond the usual cadre of people who take part in these challenges.
[/quote]

Yes I suspect you may be right...

Well no matter, I shall continue to air my noodles until I am the last sad soul in the noodle bar at closing time, sobbing into my bowl... staff clearing up around me... reminiscing about the great looper debate of April 2016.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462892952' post='3046729']
Yes I suspect you may be right...

Well no matter, I shall continue to air my noodles until I am the last sad soul in the noodle bar at closing time, sobbing into my bowl... staff clearing up around me... reminiscing about the great looper debate of April 2016.
[/quote]

You won't be alone Rob... there'll be others of us alongside you. All bass players. Noodling simultaneously. What's the worst that could happen? :D

Bet you wondered where I’d got to?

No?

Can’t say I’m surprised.

Right, ok then, here we go – This month’s noodle is an original Ag-riff that’s become a bit of a work in progress since being presented to the rest of the band.
The Primary riff is alternate bars of 4/4 & 5/4 (I suppose you could call it 9/4 but its definitely got a 4/4 feel to it and our drummer certainly plays it as if it’s 4/4 with an extra beat tagged on).
The secondary riff is a couple of bars of 4/4 & a bar of 5/4 repeated until the last little bit which is in 3/8.
Then back into the primary riff.

https://soundcloud.com/agwin/may-noodle-riff

My trusty ’78 Precision with light gauge Picato rounds into the PC and Audacity

I’ve also included a link to the sketch I made using Sibelius so that I could demo the idea to my band mates – just in case anyone is interested.

https://soundcloud.com/agwin/niffy-riffy

[quote name='Agwin' timestamp='1463224144' post='3049684']

https://soundcloud.com/agwin/may-noodle-riff

[/quote]

...and we're up and running again for another month :)

Bit of a departure from your previous chordal noodles... Nice riffage there though :) I can imagine that being used in a heavier band? Tending more towards metal even than rock?

Good stuff though :) kicking things off once again...