Why become a member? ×

Cheap but reasonable gigging rig

bigevilman

Right guys need some ideas...

My band went on hiatus back in December as both me and the drummer needed a break (me as I had a young family and drummer had a new business).

Since then I had to sell my entire rig to fund a new clutch and gearbox for my Vdub Van (which I have since swapped for a Audi).

I have since replaced my Lakland with a Squier VM P 5 (which is nicer than I thought for the money!).

I am now on the lookout for a reasonable gig rig for the cheap (£300-£400 max). At present got a couple of gigs booked for back end of summer, so needs to be able to compete with my old rig (markbass LM2 & 104hf).

I know I can't get as good a rig as before but seeing at tech is getting better and better by the day, I need some ideas!

The band is a 4 piece (2 guitars/ 1 & keys) so need to be able to sit nicely at the bottom but cut through when solo kicks in!

Cheers!

Joe

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1462649592' post='3044715']
*cough* Fender Rumble 500 combo :)
[/quote]

Yep, def worth a look from the reviews/comments I`ve read on here. Otherwise I`d be looking at older Hartke gear, the XL cabs go for very reasonable money, as do the HA heads. Plenty enough power and tone, only slight downside is they are quite heavy.

[quote name='bigevilman' timestamp='1462656731' post='3044774']
Not fussed about weight (still the sunnie4 side of 30!).

Seen the fender TV combos - they look and sound nice!
[/quote]

I had a TV15. It's very pretty, very heavy, sounds quite like an Ashdown (I quite like ashdown gear) and it's pretty rare. I'd recommend a Hartke HA350, as they are pretty decent heads and are really cheap. Spend your money on the cab because a cheap cab can make an expensive amp sound pants.

If you like MarkBass, this could be a reasonable start to a cheapish and lightweight rig..

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/markbass_little_mark_250_blackline_bass_head-ymarkbass41318.asp

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1462649539' post='3044714']
If it were me, and I still had a decent back, I'd go for a Trace Elliot combo.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly - loads about for around the £250 - spend the rest on a good trolley (or Osteopath's bill).

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1462790058' post='3045612']
If you like MarkBass, this could be a reasonable start to a cheapish and lightweight rig..

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/markbass_little_mark_250_blackline_bass_head-ymarkbass41318.asp
[/quote]

Totally just dingying my post? 😂😄

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1462821956' post='3046053']

Totally just dingying my post? 😂😄
[/quote]

Oh yeah, sorry :-) missed your post - I was just looking through the bargain bits at my local shop, noticed it and remembered this thread. But, great idea - I completely agree! ;-)

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1462822226' post='3046056']

Oh yeah, sorry :-) missed your post - I was just looking through the bargain bits at my local shop, noticed it and remembered this thread. But, great idea - I completely agree! ;-)
[/quote]

Haha. They really are pretty good. I gigged mine extensively for a year there, including sone pretty big stages, and it never let me down. If it's run through decent cone area then 250 watts will be more than enough for the majority of situations. Perhaps a bit bland sounding, but I think that's just a markbass thing.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1462822693' post='3046065']

Haha. They really are pretty good. I gigged mine extensively for a year there, including sone pretty big stages, and it never let me down. If it's run through decent cone area then 250 watts will be more than enough for the majority of situations. Perhaps a bit bland sounding, but I think that's just a markbass thing.
[/quote]

Is it 250 watts at 8 or 4 ohm?

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1462822693' post='3046065']

[/quote]

Never actually used the blackline, but have used LMII, LMIII, LM800 and F1 extensively and never found any of them wanting. The 250W at 4ohms being enough doesn't surprise me at all - I play most of my gigs these days with my CMD121p combo on its own and rarely go beyond 10-o'clock on the master.

Edited by Ed_S

[quote name='bigevilman' timestamp='1462822754' post='3046067']

Is it 250 watts at 8 or 4 ohm?
[/quote]

It's at 4ohm. Admittedly I do have a 4ohm 2x10 with nice speakers so it's probably squeezing as much out the amp as it can, but I also have run it through some generic 1x15 8ohm without any noticeable issue with volume.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/280856-ebs-reidmar/page__p__3005362__hl__ebs__fromsearch__1#entry3005362

I've never used one, but lots of people refer to them being extremely loud for their conservative rating... :)